Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 8:01:23 AM EDT
Stopped by the local vehicle auction this morning,  and they have two possibilities for a fishing truck.

A Suzuki Samurai and a Subaru Brat. Neither are running.  The Brat has some body damage,  but that's not important.

My plan is to modify one of these things,  with rod racks and such,  (It's going to look like something out of a Mad Max film)  and haul it out to the beach on a trailer behind the RV.  It does not have to be street legal.

How likely is it that I can find parts for these things?  Especially the Brat.  I very likely will be rebuilding both engine and tranny.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]
It's my observation that Brats have severe problems with a little thing called rust.  Check it carefully.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Id stay away from both of thse and buy an old Jeep or somthing, How much are you looking to spend to complete the project?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
the samurai has a cult following in the off road community. parts are available and inexpensive.

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Do some serious research on parts costs for rebuilding this. IIRC, they and the Geo Tracker use the same 3 and 4 cyl engines, and aren't very durable, and expensive to repair.
Still, they're kinda fun to drive, tho.
Oh, Yeah, be wary of the computer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the samurai has a cult following in the off road community. parts are available and inexpensive.

View Quote

Kind of, but none of them have samurai engines in them, and hardly any suzuki parts in them at all..
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been kicking around kinda the same idea.  My thought was to use an S-10 or S-10 blazer and remove most if not all the body parts.  I own a Jeep, and they can be a little pricey on some things too, not mentioning the fact that to get one that even runs you are looking at damn near $1000.  The 4x4 S-10's can often be bought for near nothing.  No body = any size tires you want.  Weld a bunch of racks and go.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]
"Can" you?

Are you asking my permission, or whether I think you are capable???

[:D]

Go for it.[bounce]

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Kind of priced out of the jeep market.  The damn things have a cult following down here.  it's not unusual to see a unbelievably modified 76 jeep going for $7,000. they're priced right up there with the old Land Cruisers.

I can have all the full size Bronco/GMC/ Blazer types for between 3-5K, but don't want the size or gas bill.

I'm also considering a Jeep Comanche or older 4x4 Dakota if I can find one.

Maybe an old FourRunner?

I'm going back this afternoon,  to look at these things in the daylight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Can I suggest you take a SERIOUS look at an 84-88 Toyota 4WD pickup????

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Can" you?

Are you asking my permission, or whether I think you are capable???

Go for it.[bounce]

View Quote

[grammer nazi nazi] "Can" is the physical ability, "may" is asking permission. [/grammer nazi nazi] [:D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

[grammer nazi nazi] "Can" is the physical ability, "may" is asking permission. [/grammer nazi nazi] [:D]
View Quote

Quite right there, old chap.

garand(AccountingMajorEnglishMinor)man

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Go for the sami, simple to work on, parts are avalible, and not bad price wise. Very dependible
if you keep oil and antifreeze in them.
(I have been running 3 of them for the last 3 years, One a highly modified rock crawler.)
why- real t-case, light for flotation over sand,
Try the off-road.com BBS for suzuki parts, I know there are quite a few down TX way.
the tracker engins are 1.6 L and the sami is 1.3L
commen swap for more power is the tracker 1.6L
you can use CJ5-7 rims, (5 on 5.5) or scout rims for wider tires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top