Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 6:03:16 AM EDT
Now,
A little rundown on this area. Evanston is home to Northwestern Univ.  ITs home to my favorite leftist, commie show, "this is hell", on 89.3 FM.  You listen to this show, and you cant help grab a AR15, and start cleaning it. [BD]
Same show talks about how our country is becoming a police state, civil rights are going down the drain, and yet, they still clammor for gun control. [BD]

Anyways, Evanston is a bunch of bed wetting leftists. Nice area, really nice houses, and next to the lake.  Its on the north side of the city.  They have a lot of the same laws as the city. Handguns are banned in Evanston. Still, I would not be as worried about breaking that law there, than in Chicago.  If I lived there, I will keep a handgun.

Now, Evanston is on the north side of the city. Where she got popped, is on the west side of the city.  Big time difference too.  Also, people from Evasnton dont hang out in that 'hood.  Unless they were looking/'getting drugs.  Most likley smack, or some shit like that. Bars in the city close at 4 or 5, depending on were you go. Also, most nothsiders, stay on the northside. Either go to wicker park, or wrigleyville.  Or downtown.  

I feel sorry for the loss, but she lived in  a area that wanted gun control. She went into the biggest gun control area in Illinois.  Look at what it got her.
Now I bet some folks from over there, are going to want even more of it.

c-rock

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0208120172aug12.story?coll=chi%2Dnews%2Dhed
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Stricken with sickle cell anemia since childhood, Judith Morales-Burgess was convinced the illness would take her life. She kept telling friends and family not to cry that day, but to throw a big party in her honor.

The 45-year-old Evanston mother of three was killed early Sunday by a stray bullet after her car was caught in gang crossfire on Chicago's West Side, police said.

Relatives hastily put together the party Sunday afternoon at sister Dian's house, but they couldn't hold back the tears, saying they had never prepared for anything like this.

The shooting occurred at 4:30 a.m. as Morales-Burgess was being driven home from a party, a night out to take her mind off her failing health.

Her friend Marsha Cattouse-Coye had stopped her car at a red light at Augusta Boulevard and Western Avenue. She was just crossing the intersection when a teenager ran across the street in front of her car, she said.

"The boy was running, and then I heard three gunshots," said Cattouse-Coye, 25. "I turned back to Judith, told her to duck, but she was already slumped over."

A bullet went through the open passenger-side window and pierced Morales-Burgess' neck, said Chicago police spokesman Tom Donegan. Police believe she was an innocent bystander.

As Cattouse-Coye drove off, she saw two other teens on the opposite side of the street, one with his arm extended, but didn't see a gun, she said.

"I just started screaming and heading to the nearest gas station," she said. "Judith was like a mother to me. She never hurt anybody in her life. She didn't deserve this."

Police late Sunday were still searching for suspects.

Morales-Burgess and Cattouse-Coye had been out all night, mostly singing reggae tunes at their favorite Evanston bar. She had just been released from Evanston Hospital and wanted to have some fun, relatives said.

"Partying kept her mind off things," said Dian Morales, 36. "She was always in and out of the hospital. She was always in pain. But she never got downhearted.

"I can't believe she was killed like this. She always talked about dying, but we always thought she was going to die peacefully, at home."

Sickle cell anemia is an inherited disorder that reduces the oxygen level in blood, causing chronic anemia and jaundice.

Morales-Burgess was a native of Belize, where her family wants her to be buried.

Hundreds of friends and relatives gathered Sunday on Dian Morales' front lawn in Evanston, sharing anecdotes as they ate a potluck dinner of jerk chicken, rice and beans and hot tamales.

"She loved to be among people. She loved to see a party going on," said her daughter Melisha, 19. "She didn't have much money, but she would always help people out."

Morales-Burgess also leaves another daughter, Alexia, 17; a son, Terrence, 22; and her first granddaughter, 17-month-old Jahnique.

"She loved her granddaughter. I don't know how to tell her," Melisha Morales said. "We're supposed to be having fun today, but I can't."

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
We got some more to add to the list.

CHICAGO -- A 17-year-old girl was killed and two other teens injured early Sunday in a gang-related drive-by shooting on the Near West Side, police said.

Grizel Cardenas of the 1800 block of South Loomis Street was sitting on the steps of a home in the 2000 block of South Allport Street when a car approached and shots were fired, said Chicago police spokesman Tom Donegan.

Cardenas was pronounced dead at the scene. Another 17-year-old girl was in critical condition at Mt. Sinai Hospital. A 19-year-old woman was treated for a gunshot wound in the calf.

Also Sunday, an alleged gang member was gunned down in the 5400 block of West Monroe Street, police said. Tremont Miller of the 800 block of South Austin Avenue was found with a gunshot wound to the head, Donegan said.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought guns were pretty much banned in Chicago.

Hmm...........
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]
ONLY for the law abiding!!

The gang pukes can pretty much do as they please,
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Another perfect example of how gun control doesn't work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top