Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2002 7:32:31 PM EDT
Hello, I have a newer DELL 2.0 gig pentium 4 computer that I purchased a few months ago.  Works great except it has no consistent ability to keep time.  I am losing a few minutes everyday.  I went on vacation and when I came back I was several hours behind!  Anyway to fix this other then sending it back to DELL?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine does the same thing but, so did my last computer.  Some geek will be along any minute to explain it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had that problem with my Dell.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
[geekspeak]

I would explain it to you, but DUDE!, you got a Dell. You wouldn't understand!  [:)]

[/geekspeak]

heh, I crack myself up sometimes.  [:D]

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have XP, configure your machine to synch with an internet time source.  OR, turn this feature off, as it may be the culprit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends. Some systems don't have a battery, instead they have a capacitor type deal the keeps the clock up. In that case, you can power off the computer but need to keep power going to it. If you are hooked up to a power strip and turn it off, the clock will start losing time when the capacitor fully discharges.

Other systems have a battery and yours is just a little weak. Even if system is new, you could have a bad battery.

Then again, it could be the clock module is bad, sometimes that requires replacing the entire main (motherboard) board.

Check your manual and see what type of system you have, battery or capacitor. If all else fails call Dell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Its only 3 months old.  My old HP never had this problem.  My buddy who has the same computer also has this problem.  You would think they would fix this if its a common problem.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Could be the power.

I have a friend that took his computer to japan with him and he says that since they run a slighty faster cycle rate the clock on his computer runs a bit fast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a new Dell 8200 a couple months back. I have problems with it keeping time quite often. I was wondering if it was just my computer. I was wondering how to fix it[>:/]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.atomtime.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10116535.html?tag=lst-0-1[/url]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It depends. Some systems don't have a battery, instead they have a capacitor type deal the keeps the clock up. In that case, you can power off the computer but need to keep power going to it. If you are hooked up to a power strip and turn it off, the clock will start losing time when the capacitor fully discharges.

Other systems have a battery and yours is just a little weak. Even if system is new, you could have a bad battery.

Then again, it could be the clock module is bad, sometimes that requires replacing the entire main (motherboard) board.

Check your manual and see what type of system you have, battery or capacitor. If all else fails call Dell.
View Quote

Troynm nailed it on the head! Either the battery is weak/bad or the capacitor or the timeclock is bad.

Battery is cheap and easy to replace. Just like a watch.

Capacitor or timeclock... send it back.

Or do what the others said, down load a timesync program. XP has it built in (proper timesync is important when working with Active Directory, btw) and you can set it to one of the atomic clocks on the net.

But to be honest, I think I have had only one system after the pentiums came out that kept proper time. I just load a timesync proggie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Double click on the time. Go to INTERNET TIME  and check box to synch with internet time server. Pick server and click apply.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Double click on the time. Go to INTERNET TIME  and check box to synch with internet time server. Pick server and click apply.
View Quote

That only cures the problem for a few minutes then the computer starts losing time all over again
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had this same problem. My Dell kept losing time. Go to Dell's web support site. There is a file you can download that will correct the problem. I think it's caused by Windows XP.  Try this link. You'll have to sign in, and then it should direct you to the file.

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1060115
View Quote

[url]http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1060115
[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top