Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2002 7:10:30 PM EDT
It was bound to happen someday, and it finally did.  For 36 years I avoided the chicken pox. Until now.  Started feeling crappy Thursday; fever, chills body aches. Thought it was the flu, until last night when I noticed the breakout started.  Went to the doctor/ER this morning and was told I have a lovely childhood disease.  I also learned that it can be more serious as an adult. so now I get to stay home for two weeks and be miserable trying not to scratch and not contaminate anyone else who hasn't had it yet. [:(]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
wow 36 and just getting them now.  that sucks man.  i had them when i was like 8 years old.  i think my sister got them first and my mom kinda just let my brother and i get them so we could get it out of the way.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just pray you don't get shingles.  It normally happens to people later in life who had pox as a kid.

I had chicken pox and nearly died from it.  Had to have spinal taps (on the first 2 the intern fucked up and the resident finally came in and did it right on the third) because I had some rare congenital disorder that can allow the pox to infect the spinal cord or some such nonsense.  It sucks.  Just make sure you drink tons of water or it will suck even more.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I was 28 when I got the Pox.  I started having chills on the 4th then got sick to my stomach.  Woke up the next morning with a big pock on my forehead.  It was downhill after that.  I was covered from head to toe.  I never got any in my mouth though ( thank the Lord ).  Everyone told me to use the Avenno bath stuff to soak in.  It just made me feel worse.  All I would do was get in the shower and turn the water on as hot as I could stand it but being careful not to scold myself.  I would spend alot of time just circling around while standing in the shower.  It felt soooo good.  Expect the worse to be over in a week or so.  You will then feel better but still look like HELL.

Do not pick the scabs unless you think scars on your face are sexA.  I picked the one on my forehead but that was after it had got infected.  It was going to scar no matter what.

I didnt have any of the adverse problems associated with adult Chicken Pox.  I came out of it fine....   my case would have killed a mortal man. ;)

Keep your chin up and keep us updated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I travel a lot for my work so I figure I caught it on a plane or at the airport.

My face started breaking out tonight and it feels like its on fire.  the worst ones are the one on the top of my head, they itch like theres no tomorrow.  

I'm just glad my 2 1/2 year old daughter was vaccinated.  I should have done that too.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I was 28/29 (can't remember exactly) when I got the chicken pox. It nearly killed me! I couldn't believe it when I realized what it was. I feel for you man! It is unbearable but it will go away.
The only thing that worked for me to stop the itching was Oatmeal Baths! Seriously Oatmeal works!
The Aveeno Oatmeal bath worked a little but when I grabbed the can of Quaker Oats and dumped it all over me it felt great!
Don't itch! Take the drugs but don't get hooked on them! They gave me some stuff I can't recall but it took me like a week to come down off the stuff.
Hope you get through it quickly!
Take care,

John
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
but being careful not to scold myself.  
View Quote

Always a good plan. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the club.

I am a viral machine

Chicken Pox
Mumps
Mono
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You have my sympathy.  I got chicken pox when I was 65.  I lost 17 pounds that week!  I had been sick before that and was already about 40 pounds under my normal weight before that horrible week.  It was horrible.  I was so sick, I almost went to see a doctor.  I was on the last vacation I've had (and might be my last one ever[:(]), and I woke-up the first morning with it!  I didn't find anything that made the itching better.  Just make sure you drink water.  I realized on the third day that it had been over 24 hours since I had been to the bathroom!  I tried to rehydrate, but it made me sick.  I ended-up with pounding headaches from the dehydration (and chicken pox?).  Just make sure you drink something.  I know you probably won't feel like it, but do it.  Sorry I'm not much help, but if I think of anything I'll post it.z
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry about the pox...Yuck, had it when I was a child.

Anyway, Chicken Pox can also cause male sterilization when acquired at a later age.

Ask your doctor about it if you have concerns... As for me, it would be kinda nice ;)
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't SCRATCH!!!

I have seen adults that have had chicken pox... Nasty when they scratched, with the scars afterwards.

Don't worry about what Beagles747 said about getting hooked on drugs. It is a bit of an urban myth about being sick and getting hooked on drugs. 99.5% of the people that have been given heavy narcotics, wean themselves off the drugs naturally. When the pain goes away, they naturally lower their dosage.

Besides, if you just by chance do get hooked on the drugs, don't worry, let your doctor know. They are required to and skilled to get you off of them.

So... Use the drugs that your doctors prescribes. Let him/her know if they are to weak, or to strong. The new philosophy about pain management is to make the patient comfortable, period. Don't worry the patient about the possibility of being hooked on the drug. Because like I said before, your odds of being addicted is quite low (if you are an average person).

Also, you heal faster when you don't feel the pain. So again, talk to your doctor an make sure that you get the proper medication to be comfortable.

How do I know this? I have spent my fair share of time in the hospital. Had a nurse freak me out about being hooked on painkillers one time. Told the doctor about her. He sat down, got out the books and showed me studies. Assured me not to worry, besides it is easier to deal with the possible addiction than the pain. BTW, I never saw that nurse afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, that sucks.  I went through that when I was about 6.  Same as the other guy, sister got it first, mom just let me get it so that I'd be done with it.

Look at the bright side -- You can't infect someone over the 'net, so you just inherited a large amount of time to spend on the boards here.  [:D]

FOTBR
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear about the pox after childhood.  Luckily I had them early.

There is a vaccine for the pox now that is given to infants.  I wonder if adults who've never had chicken pox can be given the same vaccine.

Something for you 'never-had-em' types to think about.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel for you... too bad they can't sedate you for two weeks...that would be the best way to get through chicken pox.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]
[blue][size=4]DONT ITCH[/size=4][blue]

Just ride 'em out. Like you said, it was expected. Sooner or later...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
if it has been misdiagnosed and is actually smallpox, please let us know.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Just hope that you do not get any sores on you PEE PEE!!  My son had it when he was an infant so he does not remember......Which I am sure he is very glad!!  I cannot imagine the horror...at least with VD you earned it with some fun ( not that I ever had it mind you)

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm sealing my fate here but, i'm 23 and have never had chicken pox..i have also never been stung by a bee.  i figure someday a bee will come along, i'll have a reaction and the damn thing will kill me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I got chicken pox in the 1st grade. I was on a field trip when I started feeling sick. I had a stomach ache and what feels like medicine head. I went home early after the field trip and had the chicken pox the next day. It sucked. I was lucky that I didn't have it as bad as my brother(which I gave it too). I can't imagine what It'd be like to get it now.

I side note. I was interupted halfway through typing this message by the doorbell. It was one of those Damn Kirby Salesmen. I hate those Fuckers [:(!]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a vaccine available!  When one of my nieces came down with it I asked my Mom if I had ever had it.   When she said "no", I headed to the doc where they tested me and confirmed that I, a 40 year old male, had never had Chicken Pox.  They also highly recommended that I take the vaccine since it can be quite debilitating.  Two trips later and I was vaccinated.

Check with your family doc if you even think you haven't had it.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
This truly BLOWS!  My head and face are on fire with itching. My entire body reads like a Braille roadmap and I have the stuff in my ears and mouth. And to top it off I have to be isolated from everyone. I feel like the leper character in Braveheart.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This truly BLOWS!  My head and face are on fire with itching. My entire body reads like a Braille roadmap and I have the stuff in my ears and mouth. And to top it off I have to be isolated from everyone. I feel like the leper character in Braveheart.
View Quote

Probably look like him too[:D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably look like him too[:D]
View Quote

I do.  I was trying to find a picture of him to add to my post.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I caught chicken pox when I was 24, I was taking care of my mother because she was suffering from the shingles (very painful). I was unaware that I could catch pox from someone with shingles. It was the worst illness that I have ever had in my short life; the fever was incredible, my kidneys became infected and felt like they were on fire, my eye site (previously better then 20/20) suffered during the high fever days I could see nothing just one big blur, you will suffer from aches and joint pain. And do not pick the pox, I did not and I have no scars.

Try to get back in shape only after you have been symptom free for at least a week, do not push it. Also stay away from pregnant women you can cause them problems.  The only lasting effect that I had was my eye site, it came back but not as good as before but still close to 20/20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top