Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/13/2012 3:28:13 AM EDT

FUCKING FREE SHIT ARMY!!!

http://weaselzippers.us/2012/11/12/nauseating-hipster-brags-about-using-food-stamps-for-roasted-rabbit-with-butter-tarragon-and-sweet-potatoes/

I really didn’t need another reason to hate liberal hipster toolbags.

Via Salon:

They’re young, they’re broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts
kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered
through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint
chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that
evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their
moments of truth.

"I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. "I’m so happy!”

"I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what
remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition
Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still
known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum
exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her
usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and
since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh
produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her
house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and
gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

"I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. "Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of
Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before
moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and
prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have
been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to
give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.

"I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’
thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of
roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. "I used to
think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on
food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The program needs to be changed to "staple foods only".   Nothing exotic or expensive.

Or better yet,  axed entirely.  Hunger makes you more willing to work.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Eats better meals than I do........
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The program needs to be changed to "staple foods only".   Nothing exotic or expensive.

CJ

This. Dried beans, flour, rice. Make the fuckers fix it themselves.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
This article is about 2 or 3 years old. I'm sure the problems only gotten worse. I called out a hipster kid at a grocer once, but everyone looked at me like I just shit on the floor.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
First, look at their fucking jobs. An art school grad and a pro blogger? No fucking wonder they're broke. They have no marketable skills (that they went to school for anyway). It's heir own damn fault for not getting some real skills. On the flip side, I'm glad that at least using the money for actual quality food. I'd rather see them eat healthy and not end up in a hospital for a heart attack or diabetes because they ate at mcdonald every fucking day....
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Well good for them. Sounds like they voted for the right guy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CJ

I support this message...
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CJ

So it will raise prices on foods we responsible people eat?  No thank you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]
“At first, I thought, ‘Why should I be on food stamps?’” said Magida, digging into her dinner. “Here I am, this educated person who went to art school, and there are a lot of people who need them more. But then I realized, I need them, too.”

Ahhhhhhhhh...Hahahahahahahahahahah
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I just don't care anymore.   I say just hurry it along, give everyone anything they want until we implode.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]
[Paulie Gualtieri] Cocks and cunts! [/Paulie Gualtieri]

I only faintly remember the program back when it was actual stamps for specific foods.

That is what the program should go back to. But it isn't fair to tell me what I have to eat! When it is free it is plenty fair.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
“Here I am, this educated person who went to art school

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First, look at their fucking jobs. An art school grad and a pro blogger? No fucking wonder they're broke. They have no marketable skills (that they went to school for anyway). It's heir own damn fault for not getting some real skills. On the flip side, I'm glad that at least using the money for actual quality food. I'd rather see them eat healthy and not end up in a hospital for a heart attack or diabetes because they ate at mcdonald every fucking day....

This is America, we don't need no stinking marketable skills to survive.  We do what we want, when we want and when it doesn't work out the government saves us from ourselves.   I mean, this is how we even run the country, it can't be wrong...

Now you just stop with this kind of talk right now or you're bound to go and hurt someone's feelings mister and you damn well know we can't be having any of that!  

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#14]
And people are wondering why everybody is wanting to secede from the US and leave these idiots to fend for them selves.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Stale news.   30 moons.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:05:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

For sure...
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#17]
If everybody did this the system would collapse.  I'm just sayin...
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The program needs to be changed to "staple foods only". Nothing exotic or expensive.

Or better yet, axed entirely. Hunger makes you more willing to work.

CJ

Years ago, on the Pournelle forum on GEnie, Dr Pournelle related how he'd eaten Purina Monkey Chow from the primate lab as a starving graduate assistant.

Said it actually made good cereal.

We then discussed as a solution to food stamps, instead having free 25 lb bags of "Purina People Chow" on pallets at the front of every grocery store.  Bland, nutritious, free.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Pair of douchebags.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The program needs to be changed to "staple foods only". Nothing exotic or expensive.

Or better yet, axed entirely. Hunger makes you more willing to work.

CJ

Years ago, on the Pournelle forum on GEnie, Dr Pournelle related how he'd eaten Purina Monkey Chow from the primate lab as a starving graduate assistant.

Said it actually made good cereal.

We then discussed as a solution to food stamps, instead having free 25 lb bags of "Purina People Chow" on pallets at the front of every grocery store.  Bland, nutritious, free.

John Ringo wrote a really fun book called "The Last Centurion" and in the latter half of the book the world is dealing with a climate change (mini-ice age) that in conjunction with piss-poor government policy is leading to massive food shortages.

They formulate this sort of bland and boring ration bar that they start handing out by the case to civilians. Here's the kicker: They are purposely made to taste like ass so as to avoid people becoming overly dependent.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice. I raged a little.

ETA:

They formulate this sort of bland and boring ration bar that they start handing out by the case to civilians. Here's the kicker: They are purposely made to taste like ass so as to avoid people becoming overly dependent.

What a great idea!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

An art school graduate has tons of marketable skills. Commercial art is a huge business, as Andy Warhol so effectively noted. He just doesn't want to do it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An art school graduate has tons of marketable skills. Commercial art is a huge business, as Andy Warhol so effectively noted. He just doesn't want to do it.

Yep. A former Girlfreind of mine does a lot of artwork and design for pharmaceutical companies to use in advertising. She specializes in that sort of flat pastel style they use with womens products. She hates every minute of it, but admits she's making bank, so its a wash in the end.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I am not amused by their actions.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just don't care anymore.   I say just hurry it along, give everyone anything they want until we implode.    

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#28]
People have no shame anymore.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#29]
If the hipster wants to eat rabbit and organic veggies, great! Give him a snare wire and some seeds and tell  him to knock himself out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No shit.  I didn't even know some of the stuff they're eating existed!  I mean, I know what eggplant is...But Japanese eggplant?  I knew turmeric and tarragon existed but I don't know what the hell they taste like.

Next you're going to tell me the food stamp generation feasts on lobster and mountain dew.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey now, wait! I'm sure we've all needed some museum exhibits installed and some high quality blogging done, ARFCOM can surely send these kids some work. Have 'em back on their feet in no time
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  I didn't even know some of the stuff they're eating existed!  I mean, I know what eggplant is...But Japanese eggplant?  I knew turmeric and tarragon existed but I don't know what the hell they taste like.

Next you're going to tell me the food stamp generation feasts on lobster and mountain dew.

Dude, you need to come to my local Publix on the first of the month and just watch whats going into the carts. It would blow your fucking mind.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hey now, wait! I'm sure we've all needed some museum exhibits installed and some high quality blogging done, ARFCOM can surely send these kids some work. Have 'em back on their feet in no time

I've got a trench needs digging in my back yard. I'll pay $100 for the day and provide lunch (might not be up to his lofty culinary standards, we are modest people). He's welcome to use my WiFi to blog about it after the diggings done.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#35]
We should all just suck it up, swallow our pride and get on the bandwagon.  Let's all get all we can from the government and get this shit over sooner.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a trench needs digging in my back yard. I'll pay $100 for the day and provide lunch (might not be up to his lofty culinary standards, we are modest people). He's welcome to use my WiFi to blog about it after the diggings done.

He'll I'd do it fer hundred bucks a day
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I remember the good old days when it was shameful to be on government assistance.  Now it appears to be a badge of honor.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#39]
[WolverinesCry][GunsRaisedOverHead]Free State Army!!!![/GunsRaisededOverHead][/WolverinesCry]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember the good old days when it was shameful to be on government assistance.  Now it appears to be a badge of honor.

My company counsel and I were chatting about a similar subject while I was fixing his machine the other day. I made the point that part of the problem with our legal system is that it isn't nearly public enough. People who break the law are allowed too much privacy, and the results and penalties of their actions aren't made known to thier peers and neighbors.

I mentioned how in some cities they were renting time on digialt billboards and running the mugshots of multiple offence drunk drivers. I like such a program. Put the shame back into not being a productive member of society.

Same goes for foodstamps, and I really liked the idea of bags of bland "Purina human chow" presented earlier. Make it absolutely suck to be on the dole.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Young hipsters that are largely bankrolled by their parents (who don't want them returning to the nest) will qualify for all sorts of government aid programs, because on paper they have no income.

When your basic needs are being met with gifts, then SNAP becomes your play money...

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
“At first, I thought, ‘Why should I be on food stamps?’” said Magida, digging into her dinner. “Here I am, this educated person who went to art school, and there are a lot of people who need them more. But then I realized, I need them, too.”

What the fuck are you laughing at?   She's hungry, pay up asshole and get back to work.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck are you laughing at?   She's hungry, pay up asshole and get back to work.

Lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I would rather the money be spent on quality food (organic salmon) than Pringles and Dr. Pepper.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, I guess I must be pretty naive, all this time I thought food stamps were only for people with dependent children.
Had no idea that single, able bodied, educated people were able to get them.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

this. my only meal yesterday was a free 6 inch sub from subway because it was VE Day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Prison loaf.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#48]
If this is how they want to act, this is how they should be fed.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Organic salmon is pretty fucking tasty.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

For sure...

Yep.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top