Posted: 11/12/2012 12:29:29 PM EDT
Another winner from Penn.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
paraphrasing

these politicians cant really believe that the bible is the literal word of god because I just dont believe that these politicians are completely bat shit crazy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I like him for the most part but he acts like a fundie when it comes to his religion.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like him for the most part but he acts like a fundie when it comes to his religion.  

do you enjoy not collecting stamps?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
No, Penn Jillette, you're not a "big thinker."

Like every Atheist, you're small and simple-minded, refusing to believe in anything unless it's spelled out to you. You believe in the omnipotence of your human mind rather than in an outside omnipotence.

Your religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like every Atheist, you're small and simple-minded, refusing to believe in anything unless it's spelled out to you. You believe in the omnipotence of your human mind rather than in an outside omnipotence.

You're religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

Boom headshot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Fingernail polish?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

Boom headshot.

Yeah...  not quite, but you're welcome to continue being wrong about that.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fingernail polish?

He explained in a hannity interview that he wears his fathers ring on his right hand to remember him, and his mothers favorite nail polish on the other hand to remember her.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your religion  is boring and based in pessimism. And you wear fingernail polish.

Yawn.

No, I'm an atheist because I'm educated and can form an educated opinion about extreme claims of the supernatural. It's through my education that I have decided that stone age stories and myths are in fact, in my opinion, not true.

You follow and believe in but one god of thousands that have existed in the history of man kind, yet I'm simple minded? Ironic.......
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yawn.

So, he's pretty much correct on any issue he speaks about (guns, liberty, government, global warming, martial arts, etc) but he's not allowed to not believe in god?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

So, he's pretty much correct on any issue he speaks about (guns, liberty, government, global warming, martial arts, etc) but he's not allowed to not believe in god?

He can believe whatever he wants.

I just think it's funny that Atheists, who pride themselves on the power of their own minds, don't believe in God because "science hasn't proved it yet."

If their powerful minds can't fathom of a god, why then that must mean that God doesn't exist. Because if God did exist, surely minds of their immense caliber would sense it. Tedious and egotistical.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

He can believe whatever he wants.

I just think it's funny that Atheists, who pride themselves on the power of their own minds, don't believe in God because "science hasn't proved it yet."

If their powerful minds can't fathom of a god, why then that must mean that God doesn't exist. Because if God did exist, surely minds of their immense caliber would sense it. Tedious and egotistical.

What the fuck are you talking about? I guess I'm not smart enough to keep up......
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.

How well you illustrate my point that atheism is just another religion.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

Don't you love how warm and accepting Christians are of Atheists?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right, technically atheism is not a religion. However, materialism (or logical positivism) both answer questions that religion answers and become 'stealth' religions.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Only saying that you can't prove a negative.

Saying that one believes in God is different than standing up and boldly proclaiming that the supernatural cannot exist.

Technology and means of detecting elements of our universe have made major advances in recent years. No one is smart enough to see what's down the road.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.

What are it's tenets? What are their observances, beliefs and practices?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yawn.

Yup. But I do enjoy the hell out of listening to him speak, I dunno why he's just fun to listen to. He lied like a MF when he compared Clinton's language to other presidents. Complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
One of many times, I disagree with Penn.  I'd say that Obama definitely has malice in his heart for the USA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

Nevermind.

I'm taking things too seriously.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

I dont see how atheism fits that definition.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.

Apparently one is to prove to the world how intellectually superior they are.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
If you think science can prove/disprove whether or not there is a God you are mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

I dont see how atheism fits that definition.

So Atheists have no ideas on the "cause, nature, and purpose of the universe"? If not, why push those non-ideas so fervently?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Well, that settles that. I guess it's a religion.

I thought it was a bit more involved than that, but I don't want to be thought of as some kind of intellectual braggart.

<–– Slowly backs out of thread, before he says too much.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One of many times, I disagree with Penn.  I'd say that Obama definitely has malice in his heart for the USA.

When listening to him it's important to realize he is a con artist. Everything he says - everything - is specifically said for a purpose. He's creating an image in your mind, so that in the end, when he delivers the "hook", you'll accept what he has said as truth; you'll feel as if you had actually come to the conclusions yourself.

He's good at what he does but when you realize what he is doing it's much harder for him to get through.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

Honestly this, I see this a lot among atheists.

Edit- Let me clarify a bit. There are Atheists who don't believe but don't look down upon people who do; I call these people "non believers". Then there are people who look down upon religious people as intellectually inferior.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So Atheists have no ideas on the "cause, nature, and purpose of the universe"? If not, why push those non-ideas so fervently?

Atheists (as individuals) do, Atheism (which is a "no" answer, to a very specific question of belief) doesn't.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Like every Atheist, you're small and simple-minded, refusing to believe in anything unless it's spelled out to you.

Oh, the irony.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#32]
tag

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah. This caught my ears just as i was about to zone out. Then I stopped watching right there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Like every Atheist, you're small and simple-minded, refusing to believe in anything unless it's spelled out to you.

Yep, I have this book of magical tales that I take literally. It tells me exactly what to believe and then just explains that I only need faith to believe some of the more improbable stories.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

And how does it fit whem some of us choose not to argue about your morality fables?
Some just do not believe, atheists..
Some have a need to bash religion and hold them selves as superior... Atheists..
I fail to see why theists have to argue with Atheists, and vice versa.
To those of us with absolutely no conern whatsoever with a higher power, it is a bit annoying when the smug religionists on both sides try to play gotcha with semantics and philosophy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

No, I'm an atheist because I'm educated and can form an educated opinion about extreme claims of the supernatural. It's through my education that I have decided that stone age stories and myths are in fact, in my opinion, not true.

You follow and believe in but one god of thousands that have existed in the history of man kind, yet I'm simple minded? Ironic.......

Humans have made up thousands of names for God.   We also have made up thousands of names for the stars, currency and even our genitalia - doesn't mean they don't exist, just that different people, cultures and languages can vary in understanding and bias.    

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#37]

ITT: A lot of people who didn't watch the video, but probably should.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Honestly, the video is directed at atheists. I have no idea why a theist would watch it, or care what's in it. It's not for them.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

And how does it fit whem some of us choose not to argue about your morality fables?
Some have a need to bash religion and hold them selves as superior... Atheists..
To those of us with absolutely no conern whatsoever with a higher power, it is a bit annoying when the smug religionists on both sides try to play gotcha with semantics and philosophy.

I'm not seeing the 'absolutely no concern whatsoever' part. I mean, here you are, right?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put.

Whose fables? I think you presume too much about those with whom you speak. I consider myself an agnostic; i.e., I realize that humans do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the universe.

Apparently there is a concern, since you are here doing battle with strawmen on the internet with people who you presume believe in such a higher power.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#41]
"Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest Gump: I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir. "

"Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: That's what all these cripples down at the VA talk about: Jesus this and Jesus that, have I found Jesus yet? They even had a priest come and talk to me. He said God is listening and if I found Jesus, I'd get to walk beside him in the kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? WALK beside him in the kingdom of Heaven! Well kiss my crippled ass. God is listening? What a crock of shit. "

"Forrest Gump: [dejected] No shrimp.
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Where the Hell is this God of yours?
Forrest Gump: [narrating] It's funny Lieutenant Dan said that, 'cause right then, God showed up. "

Forrest Gump  1994
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.

Well, to be fair, athiests tend to be pretty militant and vile in their rhetoric. It's not that they just disagree with religious folks, They hold them in contempt and disgust which is kind of foolish for a couple reasons.

First, what's it to them if someone believes in Santa.

Second, Religion can be of much value to an individual throughout their life. It can be a comfort, a direction, boundaries, etc etc. These things work, whether or not the god they believe in exists or not. So, at the end of life, which has lost or gained? The athiest or faithful.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, the video is directed at atheists. I have no idea why a theist would watch it, or care what's in it. It's not for them.  

So did you feel the same about Penn when watching the video when he said he reads the Bible every day?

Did you think "why would an atheist do that, or care what's in it? It's directed at theists. It's not for him"?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Obama is wicked smart, he's a wicked good talker; there is  no doubt in my mind that his heart is in the right place

I think he wants to do good, I don't think there's any malicious quality to him at all

All that at 1:53 in

Either Penn is a fucking idiot or he's not paying attention at all

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#45]
AK-15.....
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Not into the atheist thing but I like Penn Jillette, good guy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Only saying that you can't prove a negative.

Saying that one believes in God is different than standing up and boldly proclaiming that the supernatural cannot exist.

Technology and means of detecting elements of our universe have made major advances in recent years. No one is smart enough to see what's down the road.

You are correct. A true athiest (I haven't seen Penn's sermon) who proclaims to know there is no such thing is equally religious. At best one can say that we don't know and God hasn't yet been scientifically proven to exist.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

Whose fables? I think you presume too much about those with whom you speak. I consider myself an agnostic; i.e., I realize that humans do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the universe.

Apparently there is a concern, since you are here doing battle with strawmen on the internet with people who you presume believe in such a higher power.

oh look semantics and philosophy... How droll.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So did you feel the same about Penn when watching the video when he said he reads the Bible every day?

Did you think "why would an atheist do that, or care what's in it? It's directed at theists. It's not for him"?

No. I still read it. The Bible is directed at all of humanity BTW, per it's authors. It's also an integral part of Western culture, so it helps to understand it.

Now, if I came across a video from somebody like Pat Robertson entitled "A Christian's Guide to the 2012 Election", I'd probably skip it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#50]
NEGATIVE EFFECT, SAY AGAIN, NEGATIVE EFFECT!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top