Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2002 7:14:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Well you adjusted the trigger to a POSSIBLY unsafe pull weight... so that COULD qualify for a ND +1. BUT, you were following safety practices by keeping the gun downrange -1 so I guess you get credit for that. Let's see... the tally is 0, so I would just call it a scary discharge.

[:D]

BTW... did you ever get your SAR1?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I would consider it negligent in that
1, you did not intend for it to happen,
2, you set your trigger weight to an unsafe pull weight.

Kudo's for observing safety rules, and keeping the weapon downrange.

You really should consider re adjusting the trigger.  It seems to me that just placing your finger on it would cause a discharge.  It would then be difficult, if not impossible to get a proper firing position, finger possitioned properly, breathing set, prior to firing.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as an "Accidental" discharge.

Of course it was unintentional, but the why is the question.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Regardless of how it happens, if it wasn't suppose to happen, it's UNINTENTIONAL.  (or, "OH, SHIT!") [;D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I like a light trigger, that's my preference, I don't expect you to agree with that nor did I ask you to. I have used this rifle for 3 years and this is the first issue I have had with it.
View Quote

in that case, you may want to check the sear engagement points to see if they're worn. as they wear, your pull may have lightened, unperceptably, over time.

I don't think you have to wound someone or damage something to consider it a ND, but if it helps you sleep better.. Call it what you will.

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#8]
If I was RO'ing it would be an AD.

I really don't care how long you have been exposed to firearms or how careful you are, if you are a shooter you WILL have an AD sometime during your life. Either your weapon will malfunction, or you will screw up, but believe me when I say it will happen.  The solution to this problem is to remember those basic firearm safety rules, and follow them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's my 2¢:

If you "brushed the trigger" it was a negligent discharge - you caused it and didn't intend it.  The round discharged because you were negligent about trigger control.  Where it happened and the fact that no damage occurred is immaterial.

If the weapon discharged because of a mechanical failure, that's an [i]accidental[/i] discharge.  Because you were on a range with the weapon pointed in a safe direction and no damage was done it would not be [i]negligent[/i].

I had a negligent discharge from a mechanical failure because mine was in my home and I broke several rules of safety before the mechanical failure became the last link in the chain.

See the difference?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you ever stop to think that a trigger that is adjusted down into the onces can cause a fatal error?
If you ever drop that weapon with a round in the chamber it can go off if it hits on the butt hard enough.
I know ,you're never going to drop the rifle right?
I'm sure that's what everyone that ever dropped a weapon said.
And yes it is a ND because you took the trigger down to an unsafe pull.
Think about this scenario,
You have a discharge with this gun and someone is shot (other then yourself),the prosecutors office now has your gun and they do a test and find the extremely light trigger pull,what do you think they would do with you?
And last,the gun was in your care and it discharged,it is your gun and you are responsible for what happens while it is in your control,PERIOD.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I was always taught that there was no such thing as an accidental discharge.  Firearms sometimes discharge because of a malfunction but I would classify that as a unintential discharge and not negligent if no injury/death resulted. A slam-fire or broken sear would be a good example.

If you modify a firearm by altering the fire control mechanism to an unsafe condition that in it self would be negligent. I'm not sure if this was the case or not.

The fact that you used the only reliable "safety between your ears" avoided a potential injury or death.

So I believe your discharge was negligent but your safe gun handling avoided the consequences.

Thanks for bringing this up for discussion.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top