Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2002 6:54:17 AM EDT
The Sheriff "who is an old friend", cruised our street last evening and stopped by my house. He usually does'nt come by our area. He actually has another part of town that is a part of his "beat". The night in question, he just happened to be near my street.

Anyway, he told me that there have been [b]NO[/b] burglaries or thefts in our area since that wild night a couple of months ago. None.

The Sheriffs who usually cruise and cover my area told him they don't what has happened. There were 3 months of "rash", theft and burglary...and then *snap*...there's been nothing. He just mused and giggled a little about the effect of our neighborhood "watches".

I told him how I had second thoughts about shooting the shots that night..he said, "well they have'nt come back, have they?" Nope.

Noone has complained nor was hurt...and more importantly, noone has been robbed in a 1 square mile radius. They have'nt caught the bg's who did this..yet. But, one thing seems to be apparent. They're not coming back to my street!

Rest assured though...I will approach and do things differently next time. If there ever is a next time.

How bout [b]one[/b] shot from a bmg? [:D]

Just thought I'd update ya'll,

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting phenomenon. So... you mean to tell me that your local LEO has informed you that while maybe a bit excessive, your display of firepower has not only prevented a personal loss, but has deterred other crime in the area?

DAMN! YOU MEAN CIVILIAN GUN OWNERSHIP DETERS CRIME?!?!? WOW! I HAD NO IDEA! AND HERE ALL ALONG I HAVE BEEN STUPIDLY THINKING THAT ALL GUNS DID WERE JUMP UP ON THEIR OWN ACCORD AND KILL INNOCENT BABIES!!

[/sarcasm]

GOOD JOB NAKED!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not the guy who shot at the helicopter across from his house, are you?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
All's well that ends well.  [:)]

And no, he did not shoot at a helicopter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Newspaper headline:  Guns Prevent Crime
NOT
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
31!!!

what were you shooting?
a AR-15 with one up the pipe and a full mag?
i think i would have stopped at about 10.
it takes a while to rip off 30 rounds on semi.

give us a link to the original story.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#7]
My undergrad is in CJ.
There is a dirty little secret about those surveys of convicted felons, the ones where they ask them the advice they give their own families, and then the news gives you tips like cutting back bushes and having outside lights and alarms....
well the number one tip that the news always forgets to tell you is to get the word out that your house shoots.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Ears have stopped ringing.

308, original story is somewhere on here. I'll go look.

Did'nt shoot a helicopter, did give a C-130 a run for it's money though [:D]"inside joke with doubledweeb..err. feed" just joking double.

It did turn out well for myself and my neighbors...it's amazing how fast you can pull the trigger with a little adrenal flow. 31 shots went like no body's business...extremely quick.

I like the one shot BMG warning from now on...can you imagine?

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[:D] Has the ringing in the ears stopped yet?
View Quote

The ringing in his ears may have stopped but I went blind trying to read what your avitar said! [:D] "No A/C Available?"
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#11]
N-G, maybe the BG's are in the trees and afraid to come down![:D] Glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I need a new monitor![:D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
There are a number of documented cases where unsolved robberys & rapes continued and the PD's of that area posted public announcements offering free firearm training for residents. The crimes ceased immediately.
The good old days.
I will be interesting to see what happens in Lousiana where the mayor told women to buy guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Naked,

I remember your post a while ago. I did/do think it was a little excessive and risky. Of course, I don't know where you live and I'm sure it is nothing like the metro area I'm accustomed to.

I also can't help but wonder if lighting off a pack of fire crackers could have achieved the same effect with no risk. Of course then you probably would have gotten in trouble for possessing fireworks... I donnknow.

I am glad at the overall outcome though!

Still, if I lived in a neighborhood with that much crime... I'd be looking for a new zip code.

--LS
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
'They haven't come back'...

Maybe because they don't want to get SHOT?

This reminds me of a comment one of my coworkers at a previous job directed at an anti-gunner he knew. Basically, he dared them to put a big poster-sign in their window: 'We are proud to be a gun-free home!'... They politely declined, saying it might make them a target...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Noone has complained nor was hurt...and more importantly, noone has been robbed in a 1 square mile radius.
View Quote

Who is this Noone character?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noone has complained nor was hurt...and more importantly, noone has been robbed in a 1 square mile radius.
View Quote

Who is this Noone character?
View Quote

[img]http://www.vibeplanet.com/images/hermanshermits.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Ben...needed that life preserver. Sometimes I wonder what literary genius is lurking, waiting to pounce.

I'm still trying to explain why I actually USED my gun to PROTECT my property...stange days. Now this...

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
"Second verse..... SAME AS THE FIRST...."
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I just saw a TV commercial at work with Ed Macman prompting community watch programs. I let out a chuckle and my partner gave me a funny look. [:D] Oh...nothing at all...[:D]

I don't think ole' Ed had your situation and solution in mind.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if the perps are planning retaliation for that "night"...
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe he had different types of ammo in each mag?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Texastac,
There's no real "reason", it just happened that I had the Colt 20, second in my hand..then it was the first I put in going down my stairs. No biggie...I grabbed the 30 put it in my wasteband,"[b]I WAS NOT NAKED[b/]",of my shorts. Then as I made my way down the stairs, I put the 20 in, locked and loaded then made my way out the back door after briefly telling my wife to stay in the bedroom.

There is no way to explain what goes through your mind when you know you're about to use a loaded weapon to defend your home. After making sure my wife was in a safe position, I was concerned with finding cover first, then find out who it was. Thats why I yelled out to them "Hey, what are you doing?". Knowing they could not see me clearly crouched from the darkened corner of my house. I was'nt thinking about shooting my gun...I just reacted to their actions. I saw my prized, expensive race jetski being carted out of my driveway...knowing they had to cut [b]2[/b] security chains to get it out and basically break into my outer garage.

I was outraged and angry..and also knew my rights. The warning shots have been discussed and planned by my family and more importantly my neighbors for weeks.

If I had it do all over again..I would do it differently. To all those worrying about the bg's retaliating...for what? Why should I live in fear for someone who already attacked me? Why must I consume myself with worries about [b]them[/b] coming after me? Well..for one, they know I have a gun that shoots a lot of rounds. They know my neighbor has a dog that loves to bite their a s s...he crashed his truck into 2 wooden poles that drew fluids and broken plastic...Why me? Is it worth a round 2 for them?

Yeah, sure...lets do it over. I don't think so.

Like the Sheriff said to me the other night...no burglaries in the past couple of months. Something happened right that night.

Eventually these guys will get caught..and they won't ever steal and burglarize the fine citizens of my county again. I just hope I have helped in their rehabilitation process.[:D}

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top