Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2002 11:08:26 PM EDT
Is there any kind of MP3 player I can plug into the CD inputs of my car stereo so I can bring music on the road? I have a couple of spare line inputs on my deck (for a CD player, but I don't have one). It's an old Kenwood KRC-830. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
mini jack to your line inputs[RCA]? Radioshack has them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
mini jack to your line inputs[RCA]? Radioshack has them.
View Quote

Do all the brands have line outputs? Most of the players I've seen have headphone outputs, which is a little too much power to be driving into standard line inputs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the RIO had a line out.you might also ask one of the guys at radioshack about some type of resistor to cut output to a level your Kenwood KRC-830 could handle.Some of them are pretty sharp.then agian some aren't.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the inputs line level or speaker level?  If they are line level, don't plug straight in from the headphone jack.  There may be converters from speaker level to line level (there may be an easy way to do it, but I don't know it offhand) but putting in a full-power input signal can and probably will kill the input preamps.

Is it a front panel jack, or a rear panel jack?  If it's a front panel jack, it's (almost guaranteed) a speaker level input and can be used without trouble

If it's a rear panel input, it's almost certain to be line level.  If you can find a converter, you can rig it behind the head unit, and run the input line to a convenient spot on the dashboard for your access...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are the inputs line level or speaker level?  If they are line level, don't plug straight in from the headphone jack.  There may be converters from speaker level to line level (there may be an easy way to do it, but I don't know it offhand) but putting in a full-power input signal can and probably will kill the input preamps.

Is it a front panel jack, or a rear panel jack?  If it's a front panel jack, it's (almost guaranteed) a speaker level input and can be used without trouble

If it's a rear panel input, it's almost certain to be line level.  If you can find a converter, you can rig it behind the head unit, and run the input line to a convenient spot on the dashboard for your access...

FFZ
View Quote

They have to be line-level inputs. It's for a CD player that plugs into the inputs on the back panel.

I probably run an extension cord from the rear to the front of the dash, but I still need an NP3 player with line-level outputs. I guess some kind of converter would work, but I think they usually degrade the sound.

There has to be an MP3 player with line-level outputs somewhere. Maybe the music industry lobbied to have them banned?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You could always do what I do - my laptop actually has a "Line Out" jack, even tho I use the headphone jack to plug into my head unit (front panel speaker level input.)

Something nice about having ready access to about 10 Gb worth of assorted mp3's, you know...  Do you have a laptop?  Does it have a line out?

Failing that, check with some audio house-type sites online...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
This guy has the right idea.... [url]http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx/cplayer.html[/url]

[img]http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx/cplayer/trunk.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If your car has a tape player, why don't you just buy one of those converter things that look like a cassette tape and plug it into the head phone jack of your mp3 player.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
This is for the cab of my truck, so I don't have room for an AS/400, a laptop, or anything like that. Maybe I'll go with that cassette converter thingy Andrewh suggested.

I know they don't come with line outs just to make the music industry happy.

Thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top