Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2002 3:09:57 PM EDT
I found a pretty decent (read: real good) deal on a 1998 Ford Mustang with 48K miles on it at a dealer about an hour and a half from here. I've always wanted one (sentimental reasons), so I went to check it out. Turned out to be in like-new condition, etc. It runs great!

Well, the point to this is, that they only have me one key. They said that they had [u]lost[/u] the other one, and "will look into it". I think it was pretty much a ploy to get me to buy another key.

Well, I say whatever to that, figuring I'll just get one made at my local Ford dealer. Well, I decided to call them up today. Turns out the key itself is $18.50, and there is a $65.00 labor charging for making and "programming" the key. That's $83.50!!!

I said thanks for your time, and ended the conversation.

I then called back the dealer that I bought the car from, an spoke with my salesman. His reply was, "let me talk to my boss, and we'll call you back". Knowing that they weren't going to call back, I said ok, I'll be waiting.

Here it is 45 minutes later, and no call. In 20 minutes I'm going to call back, speak with the manager, and DEMAND that they either find my key, or reimburse me to get another one made...

GRRR!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
buyer beware
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It is some deal Ford has set up, even with locksmiths. The new cars with the anti-theft chip come with two keys. In order to make a new one, whoever programs the chip has to pay Ford. If you have two keys, it costs about $25 for the "license" (or whatever they call it) from Ford to program one more key, using both old keys. If you only have one, the "license" fee is something like $65 (I think they actually have to hook their computer up to Ford's or something equally wierd). I ran into this with a 99 Ford pickup. I compromised by having a $2 back-up key made-it won't start it the ignition but will unlock the doors if I ever lock my keys inside.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucking asshole salesmen. I called back:

Me: yeah, can I speak to james

Them: sorry, he's gone home for today

Me:ok, let me speak to whoever is in charge

Them: what for

Me: just do it

Them: ok, hang on

Sales manager: Hi, my name is Asshole. I'm the sales manager(name changed to protect the asshole)

Me: yeah, I bought a car from you a couple weeks ago. I was told that there were two sets of keys, but you had lost one. I called back ealier today, and spoke with my salesman. He said he would look for the key, and call me back. That was over an hour ago, and no call back.

Sales manager: Sorry, your salesmen has gone home for today. Is there anything I can do?

Me: find my god damn key, or give me the 83.50 to get another one

Sales manager: Tell you what, give me your phone number and i'll have your salesmen call you tomorrow

Me: can't you go look for it?

Sales manager: I'm about to go home.

Me: so?

Salesmanger: I'll have him call you as soon as he gets here tomorrow

Me: whatever, my work # is xxx xxx xxxx

Salesasshole: ok, thanks.

If I dont find my key, I'm going to write a REAL NASTY letter to the guy who owns the dealership about what poor salesmen he has. When I was there buying the car, he was making fun of mexicans!! No joke! Did it several times!!!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a '96 GT, same problem. I went to a local ford dealer, had them make another key and they gave me the directions on how to program the new key. This was about a year ago and it was real easy, maybe 3 or 4 steps. Try www.corral.net for all your mustang questions, that's where I used to go when I had one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Call a few locksmiths around town and see what they would charge.  Give them the make and model of the car so they know what you need.  Some keys are expensive to make.  The blanks alone for some cars cost $10-20 each.  The machines for programming them are in the thousands.  If you're "lucky" enough to have a car that requires it, you don't have much choice.  Some people can't tell one key from another and will quote the highest rate on the sheet, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I dont find my key, I'm going to write a REAL NASTY letter to the guy who owns the dealership about what poor salesmen he has.

View Quote

Sounds like they were pretty good salesmen.  Got all of your money and smoked you out of $83.50!

You could always ask them if there is $83.50 worth of windows on their lot.
View Quote

LOL!! Good salesmen? I got them to come down off their "wholesale" cost by two grand. I found some directions on the net on how to program the key. So, just 18.50 for the blank...
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I dont find my key, I'm going to write a REAL NASTY letter to the guy who owns the dealership about what poor salesmen he has.

View Quote

Sounds like they were pretty good salesmen.  Got all of your money and smoked you out of $83.50!

You could always ask them if there is $83.50 worth of windows on their lot.
View Quote

LOL!! Good salesmen? I got them to come down off their[red] "wholesale" [/red]cost by two grand. I found some directions on the net on how to program the key. So, just 18.50 for the blank...
View Quote

Good job on the net sleuthing!

Too bad that they probably paid $3,000 to $5,000 less than wholesale to the schmuck who traded it in =(

Car Dealers...One step up from Politicians =(
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
You gotta love it!You drop several thousand dollars on em,and all they can say is"I gotta go home"[:D]

I guess the minute you walk out the door ,you don't add up to dried shit huh?

I bought a new Ford about a year ago,and I remember the guy sayin"don't loose this key,their fuckin expensive."
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to Sewell GMC in Dallas to get a replacement key for my 2000 Savanna.  They made two keys for me.  I tried to pay and they said it was free to customers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
A guy I know had a passkey, or whatever for his buick.had the special "chip" in it and everything....turns out to just be a resistor, no chip or anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top