Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2002 12:30:25 PM EDT
Anyone else addicted to this stuff? I'm watching T.V.,eating Beer Brats and having a cold HARP while cleaning a pistol using Hoppes 9 solvent. It just occured to me that I've been using this stuff since 1965 and I love the smell of it. Am I a freak or what?[:\]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I became addicted in '68. I use other products for specific chores, but I always have a bottle of #9 on the shelf.

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure I'd want to be eating anything while using any solvent.  Especially when cleaning something that more than likely is contaminated with lead residue.

Clean the weapon

Clean your hands

Then eat.

(BTW, I love the smell of Hoppe's!)
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Geeze KBaker I wasn't using the Hoppes as an ajus dipping sauce for the brats![BD] I ate them first! Then cleaned the gun while drinking the beer![:D] There is just something about that smell thats intoxicating.(and no I don't huff it either!)
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Me and the Mrs clean guns together, she uses Chanel No. 5, and I use Hoppes No. 9.  Talk about intoxicating. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You mean you clean guns with it?

I thought it was cologne!

The womenz love it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
True story..After a holdup or someting the cops were looking for the suspect. One cop caught a whiff of Hoppes on a suspect (At least he keeps his gun clean). He was patted down, he was carrying, and turned out to be the suspect. The defense attorney was trying to supress the PC, he asked how the cop knew the def was carrying. The cop stated "nothing smells like Hoppes #9." True story.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the stuff, have used it for 37 years and rarely use anything else to this day.  I buy it in the big bottles and transfer it to smaller plastic squeeze dispensers.  Unfortunately my wife seems reluctant to put a dab where she normally applies perfumes...........

I have some of the more modern ammonia based solvents that are probably faster for removing copper, but still prefer using #9.  So what if it takes a little longer....... the smell ranks up there with pretty women, new cars, and fresh baked bread.

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Never known a man who didn't love the smell of #9. Never met a woman who could stand it.  Must be something in the hormonal differences.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The smell of Hoppes #9 gives me a chubby..Oh' baby..[smoke]

-T.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The smell of Hoppes #9 gives me a chubby..Oh' baby..[smoke]

-T.
View Quote

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
My mother hates it, my wife hates it, but whenever my dad comes by the house and catches a whiff, he says, "I love that smell! It brings back memories from my childhood." And he was born in 1924.

New motto:

"Hoppe's #9 -- we bring continuity to your life."
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh Man! I thought I was the only one.

Hi, my name is Deliverator, and I love the smell of #9...
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the smell of #9 but sweets drive me crazy. I can't stand sweets 7.62 !
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Chicks that put on hoppes rock!! HMMMM is that the Ms. Be right back!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
A few years back I was cleaning a gun in the living room and spilled a bottle of hops on the carpet.  It soaked the carpet and the pad underneath it.  The whole apartment smelt like Hoppes for a couple months.  I thought it was great but my girlfriend refused to spend any time there. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I spilled maybe a teaspoon of Hoppe's on an oak veneer folding table, and the table smelled like Hoppe's for a week! That stuff will soak into glass, I tell ya.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm another one who loves the smell of Hoppes, however my wife can't stand it.  She makes me clean my guns in the garage.  She thinks its fine though when she sits in the house while she does all that nail polish crap!!  She ain't too bad though.  I took her shooting one time and she fell in love...with my brand new Knights SR15 M4.  Now it kinda belongs to "both of us".  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top