Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2002 11:12:32 AM EDT
I have two new Motorola Talkabout's (T5200). They are really great radios except foir being red and black. Is there any way to paint and keep the paint on the plastic red parts? Whats the best paint to use,spray? Should I sand first?

Thanks alot for your help!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Look for a primer spray you can spray on the plastic, and then spray your paint over the primer after it dries.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
take apart the radio or mask the area to be painted then scuff up or break the finish to give it a little tooth.
try 600-2000 grit wet or dry sand paper.  two coats of primer and several coats of krylon or a quality spray paint.    
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a fine grit sand paper and go over the face, then wash with soap and water, and apply Testors aerosol paint, like you used on model cars when you were a kid, thats what the stuff is made for.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use a fine grit sand paper and go over the face, then wash with soap and water, and apply Testors aerosol paint, like you used on model cars when you were a kid, thats what the stuff is made for.

Jake
View Quote

never thought of Testors spray paint.  i bet that is the best!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to consider an airbrush to get the paint particles atomized properly.  The Testors spray can still puts out a pretty coarse spray pattern.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the great tips everyone! I just rather have OD green instead of the red. I'll probably go with sanding,primer then the Testor's paint.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a product available at Napa called "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter"

It claims to "Make Paint Stick To Plastic" including bumpers, fenders, ground effects, moldings, door jambs, and interior surfaces.  Also says will stick to chrome, glass, galvanized metal, etc.  I haven't tried it on all those, but it does work on the type of plastics like bleach bottles and motor oil jugs.

Product Number is: ETPO-123
UPC is: 30192 12399

[url=http://www.kleanstripauto.com/arproducts/plasticprep.html]Picture Here[/url]

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about primering first.... the Testors stuff is meant to be sprayed directly onto clean plastic, I'm not sure of how the primer would stick to the plastic.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know about primering first.... the Testors stuff is meant to be sprayed directly onto clean plastic, I'm not sure of how the primer would stick to the plastic.

Jake
View Quote

Good point, thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
LIGHTLY sand (600 grit or better) before painting with whatever.  Using 600 grit (or even 1500 if you can find it!) will give you just enough rip on the surface for good firm adhesion of the paint without leaving nasty "tool marks."

I like to use wet/dry paper when working with stuff like this, it can be rinsed clean when it starts to clog.

I highly suggest disassembling the radio if possible, this will allow you to do a better job.  I have several Talkabouts, and they look like a PITA to mask off.  I haven't tried to pull one apart just yet...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top