Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2001 9:59:25 PM EDT
ok, what does CETME ,mean. abbrivation or word? is it pronuonced? if so how? do these things work well? how campatable with HK toys? is their some kind of PSG-1 furnature for them??

i think that covers it for now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Centro de Estudios Technicos de Materials Especiales (CETME).  Loosely translated it means "Special Materials Technical Studies Center".  It is pronounced similar to "set-may" in Spanish, though it's "set-me" in English.  The "set-me" pronounciation is correct for the US dialect of English.

The CETME is the grandpa of the HK-91.  German engineers hauled butt to Spain when they lost the war.  They designed the CETME, which was adopted by the Spanish Army.  When Germany went looking for a new rifle to replace the G1 (FN/FAL) they gravitated towards the German designed CETME, which had been based on previous wartime German work (STG-45(M)) and began replacing the FAL with the German version of the CETME in 1959 as the G3.  

The CETME is very compatible with HK stuff.  Mags are interchangable, and I'm sure many other accessories are as well.  I assume most parts interchange as well, though I don't know for sure.  Anyway the mags are the big plus, since you can buy CETME parts pretty cheap right now anyway.  Just get the gun and a parts kit, and you have all the spares you'll ever need.    

I'm not sure if the furniture on them is US made for the parts count.  If it is, it would be best to stay with US made parts.  That may rule out the German made furniture unless you figure out the parts count.  Someone else will have to field the PSG-1 furniture question.  I really don't know that much about this gun.

Ross

Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone answer this question?  

I've had the itch for a .308 battle rifle lately and I've been very intrigued by the CETME H$K clones.  Your opinions would be appreciated.

SCromer
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks ross,

how are the CETME's as compaired to things in shotgun news stated to be built from G3 contract parts on an americian receiver?
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There's quite a bit of info on this rifle on the HK91 forums:

[url]http://www.hk91.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi[/url]

Search for 'CETME'
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got my CETME and I love it.They have had problems with the front sight adjustment but Century will fix no questions asked.Trigger pull like all HK's is VERRRRY LONGGGG but there is a guy at HK91.com that will fix that for $35

For $499 I've got basically a HK91(I can hear the flames coming)without paying $2000.Like a HK they will eat any ammo.You can throw it into the mud,pick it up and start blasting away.As much as I like my AR's try that with them.

Wish I had the money to buy a couple more for an investment.They are a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
One other thing---the wood furniture is beautiful on 'em.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
have had mine 4   2 weeks now and love it Total lack 0f recoil is a plus for rapid fire or small shouldered people
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
how about acurracy in the way of the CETME. better than FAL of similar price?
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking very seriously at these too. I have come to the conclusion that I really cannot afford to buy an HK91 clone parts kit and hve it built, so I've decided "CETME or wait until I have more money", which could be a while.

SGN keeps showing them, and they keep looking better, especially since the wood would probably help soak up some recoil(my only real concer with the HK91).

Who did you guys buy tours from? SOG has 'em, and the price is good, $500.00

Just keeps looking more and more appealing...[:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I got mine from SOG for $519 couple months ago.Don't know how true it is but the rumour at HK91.com is that Century has no more CETME's to build--what their dealers have in stock is it.Once again that is this weeks internet rumour.

Accurracy is going to be the same as a similar priced FAL.Remember it's a Battle Rifle so you're not going to get sub MOA.That's not saying that they are'nt accurate, just not sub MOA rifles.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been looking at one of these also.  How would you guys compare it to a FAL??
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
There's nothing to breaking a CETME down.Take out the 2 rear pins,remove the buttstock,rotate the trigger housing off and the bolt will slide right out.It's no harder than any other rifle.

On HK's every thing slides off/on pretty easy but CETME's are a little tighter till worn in so you might need a little tap with a hammer.Even though it's still easy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=183312&a=11726913&p=41716694[/img]
I love my Cetme! These rifles are a real blast to shoot. Buy one now while the price is in the $500 range or you just may regret it in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the Cetme considered a HK91 clone?  I'm looking to get one in Maryland, but the MDSP will not give a clear answer on if the Cetme is a regulated firearm, since the HK91A3 is on the regulated firearms list.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top