Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2001 8:29:06 PM EDT
You don't hear the car drive up, but you hear someone break in the door or glass, whatever. You see who it is, you then relize know this person, and they just broke into your house. Maybe an angry co worker, or a pissed off buddy.

With them not knowing you're home, they enter your house. Since you know this person, you also happen to know they have a conceled carry weapon permit.

You're up stairs, and you can see this person in the living room down stairs, where the phone just happens to be.

In the next room to you, you have a 9mm pistol.

What do you do?

Be RELISTIC please.

(sorry, but my way with words kinda sucks..)
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You forget the part that if hes their to pay you a kindly visit he would of knocked. He did'nt so treat him as some one their to do you or your family bodily harm! Friends Will Kill You Too!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya know, this is getting old. Guy/gal/kid breaks into my house middle of the night, they're dead. CCW permit or not,so what? Breaking and entering at nightime was a capital crime at common law. Back when they actually carried out the sentence in about a week. Yeah, now you have to have some other excuse. "I was in fear of my life" should work under the circumstances of a forceable breaking and entering at night. What else is there to talk about? Now, if you want to talk fucked up scenarios, your kid comes home late, lost his key, is shitfaced and doesn't want to wake you up, so he breaks in and you shoot him. Didn't happen to me, but the thought would definitely make me get a positive ID (of stranger or whacko coworker) before I dropped the hammer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Wanted to see if people would treat someone different seeing someone they know, and has a CCW, but no weapon drawen. However they did just break into your house...
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you go downstairs, tell him to lay down on his face with arms out, then call the cops?

Or shoot first, ask later?
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The laws of every state are different. Some states will prosecute unless you are half dead when you shot back. Others may not say a word.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/_uimages/smallroo.jpg[/img]

Go downstairs and shoot what's left.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
In most states the perp - familiar or not - must have the means (gun, knife, baseball bat, etc. or have the capacity to overpower you and do you harm AND present a threat) before you are justified in using deadly force.

Do you really want end the life of a friend who... let's just reach out here... had a few too many, got a bur in his saddle, and thought he was making a dramatic entry of his own home (hey this has happened) and then live the rest of your life with having been a little to quick on the trigger?

Remember the perp in this case has not shown any weapon or verbalized any threat or intent.  Our host has asked us to be "realistic" here and I think we should rethink our posts and be sure that this is what we would do "every time" we are faced with said scenerio.

Round 2.....

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]

If he wishes to advance past the dogs,
he will have to either shoot or harm them. This will be a clear indicator of bad intentions and distract him long enough so that he will never even realize that I am home.

Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh..... by the way... I am probably gonna grab that 9 and have er in hand when I attempt to extract an explanation as to why they have just arrived in my living room without an invitation or even calling in advance.......

Yep... I am definately going to try to not end up behind the [8] if I possibly can!

You know.... a few of these smileys and animations really concern me [V]

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember the perp in this case has not shown any weapon or verbalized any threat or intent
View Quote

The cops only know (since you're the only one left to tell the tale) what they see and what you tell them. Any one who needs more of an explanation than that should just sell their guns and hope no one ever breaks in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with Sniper. I live in Alaska and I can tell you for certain that when it is -60 degrees below zero and the family wagon breaks down with the wife and kids. This is an emergency and people don't always act rational in an emergency.

Like Sniper said you have to articulate three things, the acronym most commonly used is

J A M

Jeopardy:You have to be in fear for your life Right Now!

Ability: The other person has to have the ability. 400 yards away with a knife would be a stretch.

Means: A weapon or physical size disparity that would help you articulate the jeopardy.

There are a number of good reasons, other then to do you harm, that a person might break into your house.

I would have to decide intent before I used deadly force on anyone whether I knew them or not under the circumstances you have laid out.

Would I be armed? Most certainly!

Hunter out...

Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
That's how Stey comes in my house. If I shot him he might be pissed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Freaky things do happen,a couple of years ago i woke up at midnight to the phone ringing. It was the security company notifying me that my next door neighbors smoke alarm was going off. I jumped out of bed threw on clothes and boots and ran to investigate. Miles away i could hear fire dept.coming,tried front door and back door both locked,looked in front picture window saw neighbor on couch sleeping ,but room full of smoke. Made a hasty decision and kicked his expensive steel front door in to gain entry.  He had fallen asleep with sausage frying on the stove. Fire deptment guys said they would have done same thing,but neighbor was still pissed at me for destroying his door.  He has guns,what if he had woke to the sound of door breaking and just shot me?   Ben
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
He has guns,what if he had woke to the sound of door breaking and just shot me? Ben
View Quote

Well, Ben, if he woke up in a room filled with smoke, I think he'd assume it was the fire department and run like hell for the door.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Oldeschool,the has guns does sound kinda lame i know.  What i didn't want to say was he was dead drunk when this went down.  The alarm was going off when i went in and i had to shake the sh#t out of him to wake him up.   Ben
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Where are these senerio things coming from? You guys are watching too much TV
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry guys and gals,but I wouldnt be cought with a 9mm to defend myself.I realeze in most states your susposed to ask the perp if he would like to come watch Mr.Rogers,and be a good boy or girl.If someone breaks into my home in the outskirts of Kingtson Tn.It takes Tennessee's finest a fast response of about one hour,so with that scenerio,his body temp would have dropped a couple degrees.As the old saying goes "better to be tried by 12,than carried by 6
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Oldeschool,the has guns does sound kinda lame i know. What i didn't want to say was he was dead drunk when this went down. The alarm was going off when i went in and i had to shake the sh#t out of him to wake him up. Ben
View Quote

Hey Ben, you done good. I assume you knew your neighbor, that he was a load, and were not suprised to find him snoring on a couch in a smoke filled room. Perhaps he could have fallen asleep fondling a 44 mag. In that case, I would have thrown a garbage can through the window and ducked. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Re-read "Oldeschool's" first message...  his tale actually happened a couple - three years ago  [:(]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Waltere, that's a real bummer. No, bummer is a gross understatement. Positive ID before you shoot is just common sense. If I forgot that and shot my son, I'd eat my gun. It would just be the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm gonna whip out my 12 gauge loaded with 7 rounds of 00 buck and let him have it, then I'm gonn reload 1 1/4 ounce slugs and let him have 7 of those, then I'm gonna get my AR with the Beta-C and let him have 100 rounds of M995. Then I'm gonna get my Glock out and let him have 13 rounds of Triton's best, then I'm gonna get my Ruger 10/22 out........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top