Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2002 11:05:05 AM EDT
HA HA HA

laughed my ass off reading this, though you fellas might enjoy it too....from USATODAY.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-08-08-smart-crows_x.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. I can't bring myself to shoot them anymore- I respect them too much! I thought about getting a pet crow at one time, but had second thoughts. Crows/birds don't deserve to be caged for my amusement.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
One morning at my previous employer I heard someone rapping loudly on the glass door at the front of the building.  I thought it was either the factory across the street or someone mowing the grass.  It continued for a couple of minutes.  One of the salesmen hollered to the front, "Is that your crow, Tori?"  A crow had made a habit of knocking on the front glass every morning if she was at her desk.  He came almost every day for a month or so, then never showed again.  Our only guess was that he was fed by someone who lived nearby, and was looking for extra handouts.

Birds, dogs, cats, and other animals are quite capable of what we'd call "thinking".  Researchers just have to be smart enough to recognize the signs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Today, at lunch my dad and I were sitting out under a maple tree eating, and all of a sudden this freakin huge daisey cutter of a bird poop hit me on the head/neck/arm/leg and surounding area. Dad was laughing his butt off and I was still in awe of the horrid realization of it all when ... SPLAT! splat splat spaturdy! The fargin sneaky bastige of a crow unloaded on me again! this time I got up and ran away. Dad was laughing so hard I thought we was gonna whizz himself.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
92fs  

Laughing at your children is a parents only legal revenge.

Or so they tell me.

[:D]

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
From the article:

Betty's [thecrow]  story begins with an experiment led by lab chief Alex Kacelnik, Alex A.S. Weir and Jackie Chappell, also at Oxford. The team wanted to know whether Betty and an older bully crow named Abel could pick the right tool for a job if presented with a choice. The job was to snag a piece of meat from a tube using a hooked wire. The crows had a choice between a straight wire and a hooked wire.

Crows, ravens and jays, known as covids, are an especially clever family of birds. New Caledonian crows in the wilds of New Zealand are known as avid tool users and frequently craft tools from leaves, twigs and feathers to catch prey. Kacelnik wanted to know whether this cleverness carried over into the lab with manmade objects. Sure enough, Betty and Abel chose the hooked wire to snag the meat without any problems.

But here's the kicker. During the experiment, Abel, being bigger and dominant, stole Betty's hook leaving her with only a straight wire to get her meat. This wasn't supposed to happen.

"Rather than giving up, she took the wire and wedged the tip in a crack and bent it with her beak to produce a hook like the one that had been stolen," Kacelnik says. "Betty then proceeded to get the food. The whole team knew immediately this was something unusual and quite exceptional."

To make sure this wasn't a fluke, the team set up an experiment with Betty using straight wires only. Nine out 10 times she made a hook and grabbed her meat. Even better, Betty used different methods to fashion the hooks — sometimes employing various cracks to wedge the wire and sometimes standing on one end and bending the other with her beak.
View Quote

[sarcasm]Keep in mind, these crows came to gain this intelligence thru (in my best Carl Sagan voice )"meeelions and meeelions of yeeers" of evolution, where those crows able to craft or steal hooked wires to get meat out of laboratory beaker survived, and those who didn't figger out hooked wires work best for extracting meat from a laboratory beaker starved to death and became extinct, from evolutionary survival of the fittest.[/sarcasm]

How much of a DOPE do you have to be to believe in evolution???

Cancer- smelling dogs and crows are smart enuf to know that God created them. What's yer problem??? [}:D]

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this mean we have to stop using decoy crows, a boombox with a crow calling tape, some shotguns and plenty of ammo? Cuz blowing them out of the sky and leaving the for fertilizer was the best feeling I ever had on my first time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I find that a 12ga loaded with 6,71/2or 8 shot takes care of my crow problems when they occur.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
paul,
will my wife's CREED cds work as well? i hate them just about as much as i hate crows.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[sarcasm]Keep in mind, these crows came to gain this intelligence thru (in my best Carl Sagan voice )"meeelions and meeelions of yeeers" of evolution, where those crows able to craft or steal hooked wires to get meat out of laboratory beaker survived, and those who didn't figger out hooked wires work best for extracting meat from a laboratory beaker starved to death and became extinct, from evolutionary survival of the fittest.[/sarcasm]

How much of a DOPE do you have to be to believe in evolution???

Cancer- smelling dogs and crows are smart enuf to know that God created them. What's yer problem??? [}:D]
View Quote
Hmm....makes me wonder just how bright the raptor dinosaurs were.  I mean, after all, birds evolved from the raptor branch of the dinosaurs.  Parrots are quite bright too.  They keep telling us that dinosaurs were stupid because their brains were so small, but "bird-brain" doesn't mean "stupid" here.  I think we underestimate the evolutionary advantages of intelligence when it comes to dinosaurs.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Crows are fuckin smart, they know when you have a gun.
View Quote

You got that right....
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep. I can't bring myself to shoot them anymore- I respect them too much! I thought about getting a pet crow at one time, but had second thoughts. Crows/birds don't deserve to be caged for my amusement.
View Quote

I used to really enjoy shooting crows on the dairies near where I grew up. I, or my best friend (can't remember which), injured one. We caught it, took it home, nursed it back to health. The crow stayed in the walnut tree in the front yard at night. During the day, we could not go anyplace without him following us.
He made a great pet for about three years. One day he followed us to school, then followed some other kid home.
I haven't shot another crow since.
Damn, that was twenty plus years ago. Time sure flies and I ain't been having that much fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Crows are smart and they are ballsy.I don't like em cause I believe they intimidate other birds away from my yard.I've also read that they raid other birds nests and otherwise run em off.

Anyhow I shoot em with my pellet gun when I can.There's usually a big dominant male around my place that buzzes me when I go out to my car in the morning.I can here the pitter-patter of his little feet on my roof.They usually hang on the top of the power poll infront of my house,and buzz me and walk close behind me when I mow my field.Basically I think they're tryin too tell me that this is their place.

So every now and then I'll step out into the yard with my little rifle(when I here em maken a loud ruccuss and the big one will buzz me and then perch up on a limb right in front of me puffin out his chest.Big mistake.Thats when I nail him.But the others are smart.They take off and don't hang around when I step out,but there is always another big one that comes along and trys to own the place.......so it goes.......
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My Grandparent's farm is extremely hilly. If I come over a hill empty handed, crows let me get within 35 yards or so and split. If they see me with a shotgun in my hands, they split as soon as I come into view, a couple hundred yards away.

Nuff said.

Vass
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard a related report on the radio tonite about another study done on crows.

The crow was given a nut, and had to find a way to crack it.

The crow took the nut and laid it in the road.

Car passed by - CRUNCH!!!

Crow was soon enjoying the nuts contents.

Supposedly a scientific study.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think we underestimate the evolutionary advantages of intelligence when it comes to dinosaurs.

View Quote

FWIW, creation theory has the dinosaurs dying not due to a lack of intelligence, but due to rapid temperature changes and over the longer haul radiation from the sun once the worldwide flood dstroyed the vapor canopy around the earth.

Man's life expectancy decreased psot-Flood for the same reason.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Hahahah "daisy cutter of a bird poop" hahahaha
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I allways took a pair of my old bibs and stuffed them ,built a frame arms out strecthed one up one down.   Put boots and pillow face and old straw hat on the scarecrow.  Then they would come for my corn,only had to stand behind it once and shoot a couple of crows and they would not come back.

But the cyoutes would come into my fields and carry off whole small watermellions and cantalopes and you just couldn't keep them away.  The coons would just break one ear down eat part of it and go on to another,needless to say I trapped and shot many a coon.

I would have to say that all of gods critters are all much smarter than humanes,as a whole.

They will cut back their breeding,size,and habits before they would ruin the only earth they have.  

Bob   [8D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top