Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 7:30:24 AM EDT
Just wanted to know if any of the ar15.com people dove hunt??

Any body have a field to hunt in north central florida south east georgia?

Badredfish
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
1. yes
2. no
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
1.y
2.n

we breast them out, stick a holler-pinto onthe rib side and wrap them in bacon.  grill for a few minuts and lay a slilce of jack cheese on top.

man they are good!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1. yes
2. no
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
1)Yep
2)Nope
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#7]
hell yes

nope / I hunt south texas

have to go with 308wood

Butterfly beasts, insert jalapeno, wrap with peppered bacon, wood fire.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes

No

Dove season is a great warmup for the upcoming waterfowl season.

If it flies it dies!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
hell yes

nope / I hunt south texas

have to go with 308wood

Butterfly beasts, insert jalapeno, wrap with peppered bacon, wood fire.
View Quote

Don't forget the sharp cheddar cheese. Now we are talkin!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I love a good dove shoot. I generally go on pay shoots. Fox Trails opening day (Jones farm Tennile GA), and the Ga AG EXPO "ultimate dove field" benefit shoot the following Wednesday. Central GA. Also a field on my lease in Crawford county.

Sorry I can't help you on a hunt. Try asking on [url=http://www.woodystaxidermy.com/forums/index.php?s=]Woody's Taxidermy Forums[/url] - the BEST GA hunting board.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you actually eat dove?  Stupid question I guess, but I was going crazy trying to get my hunting license in the next few months so i can go dove hunting, but I don't want to kill anything unless I'm going to eat it.  Seemed like the doves wouldn't really be that good of eating because of size and stuff...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you actually eat dove?  Stupid question I guess, but I was going crazy trying to get my hunting license in the next few months so i can go dove hunting, but I don't want to kill anything unless I'm going to eat it.  Seemed like the doves wouldn't really be that good of eating because of size and stuff...
View Quote

I like them in very few ways.  The method 308wood, myself and kywaterfowler mentioned is my favorite.

I think doves taste like "flying livers" if not done correctly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Yep, season begins Sept 2 here in NC.  Good trick for keeping those doves tasty is to take a small cooler with ice...as soon as you shoot the dove, stick it in the cooler.  If the shooting action is slow, I go ahead and breast them out in the field..the key is to cool the meat down fast...don't leave them lying around in the heat.

As for recipes...stir fry the breasts or put about a dozen breasts in a casserole dish...add your favorite spices...get a box of cornbread mix and mix it up according to the directions...cover doves with mixture and cook until cornbread is done...keeps the doves moist and tender.....mmmmmm.....hungry......
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell Yes!

No.

Am absolutely ready for Opening Day.  Gonna take Miz Arock and the oldest Mutant Offspring for his first dove hunt.

Still looking for a good central Texas honey hole for doves.  Haven't committed to a lease yet and it's getting late.

Got requisitioned by Texas Parks and Wildlife for a dove management seminar at TAMU on Saturday.

Gotta miss the Central Texas Summer Shoot.  Catch you guys next time.  I'll still be in Austin tomorrow.  I'll think about you having fun on Saturday.

Arock
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Guess I'll have to hurry up and get my license this month then...apparantly they are having a class every weekend this month...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just wanted to know if any of the ar15.com people dove hunt??

Any body have a field to hunt in north central florida south east georgia?

Badredfish
View Quote

YES

No, but if you find one, I am in.  I take my kids to some of the public fields, but haven't had all that much luck withthem last couple of years.  Used to go near Tampa, but divorces and deaths have taken thier toll, and those fields are history.

I love dove hunting / shooting.  I even have dove decoys, hee-hee!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I havent been in years since I moved to VA and don't have access to all my Dad's farm buddies land.

If anybody in VA needs an extra gun to cover a field, I'd sure love to have a chance to shoot some birds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Love to hunt and eat doves. So many ways to fix them, they never get old.

About the hunting place, what is the going rate for day hunts in your area? I saw some places in the paper in north Texas area,I nearly passed out at the prices. Averages at $60.00 per gun per day. May have to get into the day hunt business.... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
1. Yes

2. No (They have mourning dove in Florida?)

Yep, round here (north central Texas - south bank of the Red River) the "day rate" is about $50-$60. But the shootin' is usually fast and furious (in the late afternoon at least) and the price normaly includes a BBQ meal at lunch and large quantities of "adult beverages" in the evening after all the shootin' quits.

"Opening Day" 'round here is almost a national holiday with lots of places closing for the whole week-end. My office is one of 'em.

Last year our "opening day" hunt even had a live band! I can hardly wait.

All good . . . . Doug . . . . [beer]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going out for my first dove hunt about 6 weeks from now, down in south Texas.

A friend gave me his recipe:
Wrap the breast in bacon, grill it, then eat the bacon and give the breast to the cats.  He was only half kidding.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
1. yes
2. no
MI has no dove season but IN does and that's wehre i have hunted them.  i second getting the birds in the cooler ASAP!!!  otherwise they get a little funky.  would you leave deer out in the sun all day?  they may be small, but i've always thought that they were extremely delicious.  and they can be filling...if you have enough.  depending on the time situation, i usually just shake and bake them like chicken....sounds kinda funny but they are good.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, i'm nuts about dove hunting. I used to shotgun them when i was younger but now days i only hunt them with my falcons--it's a bit more sporting. Here in Idaho we have them all year round, so i hunt them at least three times a week the whole season. This year they are thick as flees around here so in a few weeks i plan to make a dent in the population(as best i can with a falcon). answer to questions:
1. Yes
2. No
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I love to dove hunt, just dont have many places to go or have connections to get good hunts.  Anyone here from Georgia hunting south of Atlanta?  I have to work opening Saturday, but may try something for Sunday.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2. No (They have mourning dove in Florida?)

All good . . . . Doug . . . . [beer]
View Quote

Oh yea!  It's hit or miss, though, and a lot depends on our weather.  Used to go to some huge dove hunts where governor and senators would be milling around.  Of course, they were there for the party, which was fine for Troy.  I'd bring my wife, let her socialize, and then shoot about 6 limits, giving them to different politicians, so they could go act big deal.  

Then about 8 of us would get all the doves for ourselves!

One year the dove field was so big they would just land in the middle, and sit.  They had farmhands riding four wheelers up and down trying to get them to fly.  Pretty funny scene, though!

The owners since died, and the children fought over thre wealth, and the land was the first casualty.  A real shame, too!  Did a lot of deer hunting in their orange groves, also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I was hoping that someone would have a field to give an invite on.....OH Well.

Since every one is talking how to cook-em,  here is one of mine...

The easy way to clean them is to chuck the breast out with the thumb, and clip the wings.

We cook them in a backing bag with some chicken or beef bullion cubes. keeps them very moist, and are great over wild rice.

with the strong flavor like liver - dark meat you either love it or don't'

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was hoping that someone would have a field to give an invite on.....OH Well.
View Quote

I ask this same question every year on FL Shooters Network, and get about the same response!  I'll find a place one of these days, though!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey peregrine,

I sure am enjoying the upper you sold me. Thanks again, Harv
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone going to be hunting in PA?? I need to find some new spots. They built a Dicks warehouse in my favorite field.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone going to be hunting in PA?? I need to find some new spots. They built a Dick warehouse in my favorite field.
View Quote

OK!  I'm not even going to touch that one,,,,, too late!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top