Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 1:33:54 AM EDT
Does your pistol fire without the magazine?

I think I got one of those stupid new "PC" ones that don't fire without the mag inserted.

The slide says "FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE".

But when I pull the trigger without the mag inserted ( unloaded, of course ), it just travels without dropping the hammer.

The mag has some kind of raised surface on it that when inserted, pushes a small spring thing inside the mag well.  This is the mag safety catch switch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one,  great little pistol.  Just as reliable as it's big brother,  fits nicely in an belly band holster with shorts and a t-shirt.

Slide only says,  Pietro Beretta, AccoKeek MD etc.

To be honest,  I can't remember if it has a mag safety or not.  I'll have to look.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, they all have the magazine safety. I've got one and have no complaints. It fits in the hand well and it's been as reliable as a rock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is the single stack version, don't remember the number, but it does have a mag saftey. Won't fire without it.
Are you sure it doesn't say will not fire
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had an 84FS one for 2 or 3 years now.  Mine too has the magazine safety (won't fire without mag inserted).  My slide, however, only says to read the manual before using.

LL
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I read it again, it does say "FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE".  Think I got one of those preban slides?

Also something on the slide that none of my other handguns say:

"WARNING: RETRACT SLIDE TO SEE IF LOADED."  

Really now?  I can also pull the trigger to see if it's loaded.[BD]

Any way a gunsmith could disengage the mag safety catch?  

This is a beautiful gun crafted in nickel and is the only "flaw" as I see it.  Apart from not coming with 13rd mags.

Beretta file photo:
[img]http://www.beretta.com/images/immagini_maxi/p_64CHEETAHNICK_maxi.jpg[/img]

Digital camera is not present at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Some years back  a guy in a Reno funshop was showing me iirc a hipower with a mag safety. He demonstrated a technique for swapping mags and keeping the gun hot by taking up trigger slack while swapping. The point being a cop could keep a suspect at gunpoint while reloading.

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some years back  a guy in a Reno funshop was showing me iirc a hipower with a mag safety. He demonstrated a technique for swapping mags and keeping the gun hot by taking up trigger slack while swapping. The point being a cop could keep a suspect at gunpoint while reloading.

View Quote

I tried it ( unloaded, of course ), and it works.  But due to the mag release button being so tight it's awkward to accomplish.  The gun was pointing in all sorts of directions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top