Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2002 10:34:31 PM EDT
WTF guys?

From what I thought I understood, the availability of the new utilities for you Jarheads was going to be NCO first - and even those allocated for such have been available on a very limited basis.

Still, here: [url]http://www.rleeermey.com/[/url] the picture clearly shows a Marine 2 star wearing the damn things? Has something changed or have you guys been infested with the same disease the army's senior ranks seem to have been catching?

Adam
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When the first sets of cammies came out for sale all 3 MEFs tried a policy of only selling them to Sgt. However, that only worked in III MEF, the other MEF within weeks of not selling out the 1600 or so sets they got (the members of III MEF on Oki are more the "lifer" type then those in I and II MEF).  They allowed all ranks to buy them, and they sold out within a few days. Then they went with a period of only giving them out at OCS and the MCRDs.  Once they started selling them again, a few weeks ago, it was open to all ranks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
OK - makes sense.

Second question: Is this driving some of the more "uniformity" driven NCOs nuts or what? Has there been a "wear out" period established for the old cammies?

Heck, the Army switched our PT uniform last year and I swear some of our First Sergeants are being drivin nuts by the fact that they have to accept two types of uniforms in the formation for the meantime!

Side note: Ran by some sailors (likely SeaBees) this morning wearing BDUs - I still get a kick out of seeing how ridiculous people look in your pointy covers when they aren't pressed just right - kinda like what the airborne types are feeling seeing most of us in ill-formed, poorly fitted berets. Anyway, funny thing is most of my soldiers saw them and figured them to be Marines. That must just drive you guys nuts [:)].
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
From the Marine Corps uniform regs:

"After the first years, Marines will be required to own (1) set of combat utilities and (3) sets of camouflage utilities; after the second, (2) sets of combat utilities and (2) of camouflage; and so on until four years have transpired.  At the end of the four year transition period, Marines will be required to own four sets of uniforms."
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Adam, you can check out the cammie regs at USMC.mil .  They also include what boots can be worn with which pattern uniform.  Also, has anyone received the new ICB (the suede type leather)?  I've only seen pictures, but they look ugly as sin.  I guess they do away with having to spit polish your boots though.  I think I'll have to EBay all my old cammies and boots.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Side note: Ran by some sailors (likely SeaBees) this morning wearing BDUs - I still get a kick out of seeing how ridiculous people look in your pointy covers when they aren't pressed just right - kinda like what the airborne types are feeling seeing most of us in ill-formed, poorly fitted berets. Anyway, funny thing is most of my soldiers saw them and figured them to be Marines. That must just drive you guys nuts [:)].
View Quote

That was a pretty rare sight.  Usually the Seabees keep their covers squared away.  Especially their sateen covers.

Corpsmen, being our comrades in arms, are extended the privlege of wearing the Marine "Service" uniforms.  These uniforms are the step between cammies and "Dress".  However, while wearing my service uniform they are held to the same grooming standards as Marines.  One fine day at New River I went into medical to get my PPD read (Didn't want to get on the SgtMaj's shit list for not getting that mission done!).  When right before my very eyeballs, behind the sign in counter, is Seaman Schmucketelly wearing my Service "Charlies" with enough hair on his neck you could braid it, and the front was falling over his eyes.  I was just about to ask him where his Chief was at, so I could ask why the grooming standards were not being followed.  I intended to handle the issue at the the SNCO/CPO level.

"Can I help you Sarge?"

I felt my ears turn purple and the vein on my forehead start to pulse.

"Yeah Sunshine, how about you getting a fuck'n hair cut!  And the next time you call me Sarge you're gonna wake up on the other side of this quarterdeck (where Dental is located) with a proctologist picking tooth fragments outta yer ass and a dentist fitting you for dentures!"

About that time the Senior Chief came scurrying over to see what the hell was going on.

"What seems to be the...Jeezuz Schmucketelly!  Get outta that uniform and get a damn haircut before you get us all killed!  Sorry about that Staff Sergeant...I'll take care of it!  Is there anything else I can do?"

"Can I get my PPD read?"  

I just knew my immunization record was going to be "lost" when I walked out of there.

About 2 hours later I walk into my shop and find Seaman Schmucketelly in dungarees, standing at parade rest, with my medical record on a nearby desk.  The young lad was sporting a horseshoe that would have made Chesty Puller proud.

"I just wanted to say I was way out of line Staff Sergeant.  I brought your records so I could show you the entry for your PPD."

"That's a mighty good haircut you got there Sailor.  Thanks for coming down here to show me the record.  Why don't you go back to the barracks and put your Charlies on."

I went back down to medical and made peace with the Corpsmen. But yeah, there were "those times".[:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
great story DP,
 as a nasty reservist i do not intend to switch to the new cammies until it's mandatory. a buddy of mine on active duty got me 2 sets and 2 covers but the hard part is getting the name tapes. what im worried about is the boots. Black boots have been the standard for the military for so long that there is a fantastic selection available. i myself went with Danners which outwardly appear similar to ICBs but are vastly superior. when they bring the new boot on line all that will be available will be the contract crap. matterhorns arent too bad but i wouldnt give you a pint of piss for a set of bellevilles! i hope some of the commercial boot companies like Danner produce a suede boot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
MC Uniform (mil only) on line will be selling these after the new fiscal year.
I did see a Marine Staff Sgt wearing a set of them a few weeks ago, I jokingly asked him "how much", he told me that he had been offered a couple hundred for the set - more than once!
[url]http://www.usmc-mccs.org/uniforms/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
DPeacher,

Great story. Not all of us squids are perfect..[;)] Rest assured that all of my personnel are squared away 24/7 or I give them hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top