Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2002 6:21:52 PM EDT
I need one for hiking and camping, and it should preferrably be a modular design so I can pack what I need for a given trip without having to carry a huge pack. A hydration system would be nice. I don't want anything that is camo or overly military looking. It must, however, be able to carry a SHTF load if needed so the modular concept is important. Also, prefer that it not be brightly colored. Green or brown is fine, but bright yellow ain't gonna cut it. I like the Molle II stuff, and if I could get it in a nice neutral, non military color I would consider it.
Links would be nice!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
^Huh?^
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That one went right over his head.....[:)]

Gus.. Treetop's flaming backpack story.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Arc'Teryx Bora 65 or similar.  Very good bag that is extremely comfortable.  I've had mine for 3 years with no problems, best pack I've owned.  Another tip, whatever pack you choose be sure to check out Mountain Equipment Coop at: http://www.mec.ca

Good prices when you figure in the exchange rate with our neighbors to the north.

Scot

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got two Dana Design packs that I absolutely love.  I'm lucky enough to live near the biggest REI store in the world, so I was able to try on a lot of packs and get some good advice.  Found out I didn't like any of the packs they sell as much as the Dana packs, but I sure learned a lot about pack fitting.

[url]www.danadesign.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That one went right over his head.....[:)]

Gus.. Treetop's flaming backpack story.
View Quote

Doh!  Duh, you can't fool me cause I am a moron....
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
First answer these questions: Do you want an external or internal frame design, what price range, volume size, and maximum load you plan on carrying.

For external frame packs, check out
[url]http://www.jansport.com[/url]

For commercial internal frame packs, it's hard to beat Arcteryx, Gregory, or Dana Design. If you want absolute comfort, fit, fabric choices, and color choices, try looking into a custom made pack by Mchale. Also, both Dana and Gregory offer modular add on attachments you speak of.

[url]www.danadesign.com[/url]
[url]www.arcteryx.com[/url]
[url]http://www.gregorypacks.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mchalepacks.com/[/url]

Bushmaster-M4gery: whatever pack you choose be sure to check out Mountain Equipment Coop at: http://www.mec.ca
View Quote

I agree, especially true if you're buying Arcteryx products since it is made in Canada - your dollar buys a lot more over there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys! Now I have to spend some time doing research. Anybody got a light?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I both think that Gregory makes some of the most comfortable packs out there.  She has a 2002 Gregory Shasta and I have a 2002 Gregory Whitney.  Check out [url]REI.com[/url] and view their comparison charts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
You have a few choices. I currently use a Lowe Alpine Australis. I paid around a hundred bucks from Campmor when it was on closeout. Nice pack.  It was my first internal frame pack and in really hot and humid weather I prefer the external frame models. I still have an old ALICE around and use it as storage more than anything else.

Interesting to me is what spec ops type use. At a military base around here the SEAL teams frequently train and I had an opportunity to check out some of their gear and talk with them. I did'nt see one issue ruck. All that I saw had a commercial model green, brown, or even black that was spray painted into some form of came to break up the outline. The majority were internal frames with Dana's being the most popular, and Lowe Alpine a close second. I could'nt tell you what models were represented though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
[url=http://www.eaglecreek.com/]eagle creek[/url]

i highly recommend these people if you don't want a mil. pack.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
As somebody had alluded to earlier, you can do different things with different designs of packs.  

If your plan is very rugged terrain an internal design is best suited for that kind of terrain.  Puts the weight lower and allows for more balance dexterity, however it makes it more difficult to haul a heavy load.  Internal packs also typically sit on your whole backside, thus if its hot, you sit in your own sweat.  But also helps keep you warm in the winter.  

If you need to haul a heavy load, an external pack is the way to go, these packs put the weight up higher on your back to allow for you to haul a heavier load, however you loose some balance.  You can also add a tump line to most external packs to further distribute the weight.  Usually cooler, because the pack sits away from your body a couple of inches.  

Quality/ brand is important.  I tried to put 120lbs of gear in a Jan Sport internal pack, the shoulder straps ripped off twice on a week long trip in Alaska, backcountry isn't where you want to find out that something doesn't work well or is of poor quality. I have had good luck with Lowe packs, but also get a pack that fits you.  Nothing worse than bunched up clothes rubbing sores on your back side or worse pinched nerves.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top