Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2012 6:15:04 PM EDT
I recall reading some of you chamber each round manually in competition/practice and I have some questions. These are based on you not just pulling the BCG to the rear and letting it slam home.  I assume from the info I read you push feed the round into the chamber.

Do you modify your bolt to make fully seating the round easier?

Do you feed from a magazine or feed by hand?

Do you have a buffer and spring installed in your rifle?

Do you do anything different for different cartridges? ie. 6.5 Grendel, 300 AAC, .223
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
NRA/CMP High power mandates loading single rounds in slow fire. (mandates 20 or 30 rd magazine in rapid fire).

so, lying there in Prone at the 600 yd line (left arm in the sling), we pick up one round of .223 loaded with an 80gr match king, loaded much too long to fit in a magazine and slip it into the port where it lies upon the magazine or the single round tray in a modified magazine, I use my pinky to push it just a bit into the chamber. Then we reach thru the handle (my arms are such that reaching over the handle is just a bit more uncomfortable) and press the button to close the bolt, right hand back on the grip, check the wind, focus on the front sight, squeeeeeeeeze, follow-thru. repeat for 20 record shots.

in Service rifle, the AR looks like an M16A2 in .223/5.56 only and has iron sights! Only internal accuracy mods are permitted (4.5lb trigger, float tube, 1/2x1/2 sights, smaller hooded aperture, match barrel).

everything in the gas system, recoil spring, buffer etc must be normal since the rifle is used for either rapid fire or slow fire (2 stages of each in a match).

M1/M1A service rifle shooters and Match rifle shooters with a semi-auto follow a similar process.

3-gun, tac carbine, etc NEVER mess with the above, they load a magazine and run (figuratively & literally)

Poole

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
NRA/CMP High power mandates loading single rounds in slow fire. (mandates 20 or 30 rd magazine in rapid fire).

so, lying there in Prone at the 600 yd line (left arm in the sling), we pick up one round of .223 loaded with an 80gr match king, loaded much too long to fit in a magazine and slip it into the port where it lies upon the magazine or the single round tray in a modified magazine, I use my pinky to push it just a bit into the chamber. Then we reach thru the handle (my arms are such that reaching over the handle is just a bit more uncomfortable) and press the button to close the bolt, right hand back on the grip, check the wind, focus on the front sight, squeeeeeeeeze, follow-thru. repeat for 20 record shots.

in Service rifle, the AR looks like an M16A2 in .223/5.56 only and has iron sights! Only internal accuracy mods are permitted (4.5lb trigger, float tube, 1/2x1/2 sights, smaller hooded aperture, match barrel).

everything in the gas system, recoil spring, buffer etc must be normal since the rifle is used for either rapid fire or slow fire (2 stages of each in a match).

M1/M1A service rifle shooters and Match rifle shooters with a semi-auto follow a similar process.

3-gun, tac carbine, etc NEVER mess with the above, they load a magazine and run (figuratively & literally)

Poole

Thank you

I guess I was putting too much thought into the process.  Although I was hoping that there was a more quiet way than just releasing the bolt.  My rifle will be used for hunting rather than competition.  

The bolt slamming into battery seemed like it would just be unnecessary noise between shots unless there was a softer/smoother way.  Although, I've seen deer spooked more times while trying to stay quiet.  It seems if you just go about your day they tend to do the same.  I've shot at deer and they haven't taken a step but if break the tiniest stick laying on the ground they run for the horizon.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You're looking to learn how to use a forward assist.

Ease the bolt down with the charging handle, then push the cartridge completely into battery with the assist.

My rifles don't have FA.  They are side charges built so I can hunt with them in PA.  Semi auto is a no-go for hunting back home so I convert these to bolt action for deer season.

They are a 6.8 and 5.56 in these pics but are almost done being converted to 6.5G and 300AAC for next year. Should be done around Thanksgiving while I'm home with the exception of glass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ease the bolt down with the charging handle, then push the cartridge completely into battery with the assist.

My rifles don't have FA.  They are side charges built so I can hunt with them in PA.  Semi auto is a no-go for hunting back home so I convert these to bolt action for deer season.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44141

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44140

They are a 6.8 and 5.56 in these pics but are almost done being converted to 6.5G and 300AAC for next year. Should be done around Thanksgiving while I'm home with the exception of glass.

Do you feed them from a magazine ? Do you run the bolt back and forth to reload ? The gas block must have a switch ? Nice looking guns !
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Where did you pick up the uppers and bolt carriers if I may ask?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ease the bolt down and insure the bolt and cartridge are in battery by pushing on the bolt handle.  Same thing.

Or just chamber a damn round ahead of time, engage the safety lever, and keep your fucking finger off of the trigger until there's a deer vaguely perpendicular to your barrel's line of sight.

But hey, just a thought...
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you feed them from a magazine ? Do you run the bolt back and forth to reload ? The gas block must have a switch ? Nice looking guns !

Yes I use a magazine and manually charge the carrier for each round. When I convert them from gas I remove the gas tube and remount the gas block backwards to cover the gas port in the barrel.
Thanks, I'll post the updated versions after I switch things around.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where did you pick up the uppers and bolt carriers if I may ask?

One set came from Bison Armory when I bought my 6.8 upper. I then bought a the second receiver off Gunbroker and then called Bison to get another carrier. He didn't just sell individual parts at the time but did for me just because I had just bought my complete upper from him. He may now be selling individual parts and another poster just posted another source recently. I'll post the link when I find it.

My receivers are Mega and the carriers are Young National Match Side Chargers.

Alexander arms also sells a receiver carrier combo. I'm not sure if they have stock available but know they're listed.  ASA and LAR Grizzly are also two other options. AR15performance.com previously had sets available but I haven't checked the site recently to see if they're still listers.

http://quentin-laser.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=222
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ease the bolt down and insure the bolt and cartridge are in battery by pushing on the bolt handle.  Same thing.

Or just chamber a damn round ahead of time, engage the safety lever, and keep your fucking finger off of the trigger until there's a deer vaguely perpendicular to your barrel's line of sight.

But hey, just a thought...

Obviously, I'm just looking for smoother/more quiet ways to feed the second round. It's not critical I just thought they may be better ways to do it and asked for advice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Here they are...

6.5 Grendel
20" JP barrel and bolt
Wilson TRIM rail
Mega Billet Side charging upper receiver
Young NM Side chrging bolt carrier
Mega billet lower
SSA-E trigger
PRS stock
JP comp
It will have a Larue LT158 mount and Busnell ET 4.5-30X50 when UPS drops the mount off tomorrow

300BLK
18" Wilson barrel
Mega billet side charging receiver
Young NM side charging carrier and chrome bolt
Mega billet lower
SSA-E trigger
Troy TRX-E rail
CTR stock
JP comp

The 300 has the gas tube installed and gas block mounted correctly for the time being.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#15]
This is where the Brits have considerable knowledge.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is where the Brits have considerable knowledge.

I checked in with them on a different forum about two years ago before I started this adventure.  They helped a lot in making my choices.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#17]
You are trying to figure out how to be quiet after you just shot?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup, if I miss I don't want to draw more attention to myself. I've seen deer stand still after a shot and don't want to spook them with unnecessary noise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, if I miss I don't want to draw more attention to myself. I've seen deer stand still after a shot and don't want to spook them with unnecessary noise.

Don't miss...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't miss...

I've only missed two deer in my life.  One when I was just starting out hunting and made a poor choice.  It was before sunrise and I could see a deer eating about 40 yards out.  I was using a 12 gauge with V-rib and bead sight.  Like the young moron I was I decided to fire about 4 slow paced shots at that deer, never touched it and it never ran.  Just walked off about five minutes after I stopped shooting.

The second was what would have been considered a trophy in my area.  I was using a scoped 30.06 and the deer was at different ranges as I was following it.  The deer was walking towards an opening at a slow pace.  Range was 60 yards tops and shot at it four different times with different hold overs on the last two shots thinking my scope was way off.  I took my rifle home and shot it at 50 and 100 yards hitting exactly where I was aiming.  Buck fever was just a myth for me until that day.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At least you posted official arfcom pics.

Nice looking rifles.

I had to stop myself from editting them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top