User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2002 12:17:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
just dont teach him this...
[url]http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1999-09.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the good news is he's normal.  The bad news is you probably changed his food and that's what's making him fart like you.

Crate training now will save you headaches later.  Take a a couple of days off and do it.  How old is this dog?  They can hold their bladders for about 1hr/month old, so be ready to take them out to potty a lot.  

Get a big supply of treats, and use them with the dog when he does stuff good....like going potty in the right spot, to get him in his crate, etc.  

Teach "Sit" real fast.  Helps.  Do this right before he eats for 3-5 minutes, then let him eat.  Hold his food bowl and make sure you can take it away from him without any issues.  He needs to know you are dominant and he is loving puppy.  

IF your dog doesn't have all his shots then don't take him camping until he does, or he could get something nasty and die.  

The folks I've seen at the range with dogs usually bring their dog crated, and leave it in the truck for a firing period, go play with it for a firing period, and alternate.  Hopefully someone who's done this can reply with more info.  

Have fun and take lots of pics.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and go get a good dog food.  Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc., instead of McDonald's dog food (purina puppy chow).  

Do you have a vet yet?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
And while I'm at it...

You and your family MUST sit down and discuss EXACTLY what is going to happen with this dog.  Agree right now on crate training or not, commands, hand signals, dinner time, treats, training methods, the vet, who takes him out at night when he needs to go, and anything else you can think of.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep the crate clean. Take the pup out every hour or so and immediately when you come home and before you go out. Soon the pup will recognize the crate as "home" and will not relieve itself in it. Reward the pup when it goes outside. Within a few weeks the pup will be housebroken.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep the crate...it is the only way to go.  Our 1 year old lab was crate trained and has NEVER had an accident in the house.

My wife took care of the training and she says to not let him WOLF HIS FOOD!  When they do that they suck in more air....and it needs to find a way out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with everyone. Keep the crate.

Our Greyhound didn't like his crate at first. But now he goes and lays down in it on his own. All we ever did was give him treats for going in the crate.

I am sure your dogs farts are bad. But you ought to be around a greyhound when he is letting them go. They are room clearers for sure. They will make your damn eyes water.

Next time you change foods on him change him over more slowly. Start at about 50/50 mix and slwoly remove the old until he is totally on the new food.

Rusty
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Try to change him over to a food that is not corn based. That was the cause of my dog's rancid ass. We switched him over to Eukanuba rice and lamb. He still farts some, but they don't stink unless he's been eating scraps that he's not supposed to get. The next step is breaking Mama from giving scraps to the dogs. Then I get to try to teach her dog not to belch in front of company. I swear, he belches better than I do, and always with bad timing.

If he doesn't want to go into the crate, you can put his food and water into the back of the crate so that he has to go in to eat or drink. He'll whine and cry about it, but when he gets hungry or thirsty enough, he'll go right on in. When he does, praise, praise, praise him.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Some dogs are known to "pass gas" more than others, read it in a dog mag somewhere. Keep the crate, yes, they do get to like it, it is a security thing to them, like a cave use to be with the wolf. Remember think like a dog when dealing with your dog. You are the pack leader your wife is the pack leader female, he must be the subordinate. It makes for a peacefull existance down the road.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/7/15/65/45371565KbCXfw_ph.jpg[/img]
My new baby. She is 9 weeks old. Her daddy is the #1 Gordon Setter in the USA. She is getting the crate treatment too. No farts yet!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Couple more thoughts for ya :

- lamb and rice is good, some dogs have issues with chicken. Pro Plan Puppy food is a good quality brand, too.

- don't make a big deal when you leave and come home; i.e. don't associate your coming and going as an emotional time. Don't get all "happy-happy joy-joy" when you get home, and don't get too "bye-bye baby love" when you take off. Try to be aloof when you get home - don't give the dog an excuse to be rambunctious, or to get nervous and sad when you leave. It'll be better for the dog, less anxiety, fewer chewed shoes :)

-
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#14]
It's called seperation anxiety.  Look it up on a pet web site, there are ways to work on reducing it, but my dog is almost three, and she still hates to see us leave.

Another trick we've learned is to give her a small treat every time we put her in the crate.  It didn't take long for her to run to her crate when she sensed that we were leaving.

Another way to calm the dog down when you get home is to stand at the door and look at the ceilng until the dog lays down.  Then bend over and reward him/her with some affection.  Pretty soon the dog will be trained to come to the door and lay down and wait for his/her turn to receive affection.

As long as you're teaching voice commands, think about using some hand-commands as well, it's not any harder to always do the hand motion as you're giving a command.  Soon enough he/she will do commands just by a hand sign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top