Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2002 6:34:04 AM EDT
I've gotten 2 emails this week from those African-based bozos trying to get my bank account info.  The last one started out "MY GREETINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND I HOPE THIS
LETTER MEETS YOU IN GOOD HEALTH. I AM MUBETEE
WAZIRI, AIDE TO THE LATE PRESIDENT MOBUTU
SESE-SEKO OF ZAIRE NOW KNOWN AS DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO (DRC)..."

Can these be forwarded on to a govt agency, and will it do any good?  Or should I just give them Bill Clinton's email address? [;)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Only two???

I get no less than 15 of these a day!

Sometimes I feel like replying to them with a nasty email.

But I always end up deleting them.

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
"Block Sender"...then have your delete file empty automatically....if you reply you're only telling the morons that they have a valid address...
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You could snail-mail a copy to the Secret Service.

The suggestions on marking the material  given here seem to make sense:
[url]http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/[/url] However I have not verified the bonafides of that site.

If you want to be cautious, verify the address independently with the SS before you send anything.

Expect no return contact if you have not had a loss.  This scam is very popular and they have their hands full.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I read on a few scam sites that they really will deposit a lot of money into your account.  The scam though is after they do it they'll force and/or threaten you to keep paying taxes and hidden fees...

Thing I wonder (if that is true) is if there is a way to scam the scammer to where you get the money and [i]dissapear[/i]...
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If I dont know who it's from I dont even open it, I got 3 today that were like 125kb but from diffrent senders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top