Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2002 11:33:39 PM EDT
Woke up to the sound of all my dishes clinking in the kitchen and the dog going nuts outside.  Funny thing was that I was so dead asleep and startled I forgot the layout of the room in the dark.(moved in a couple weeks ago) Picked the Kimber .45 loaded with Black Talon up off the floor and crept towards the noise which was still coming.  I got to the door, night sights a glowing, and quickly flipped on the kitchen light.  F@cking mouse was eating from a cereal bowl, klinking a fork and spoon inside the bowl as it scurried to eat.

It runs into the closet, so I grab my .22 with birdshot and take a couple shots at it in the corner.  No confirmed kills, but did have a blood spat and smear on the hardwood floor.

That will scare a guy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It runs into the closet, so I grab my .22 with birdshot and take a couple shots at it in the corner.  No confirmed kills, but did have a blood spat and smear on the hardwood floor.

That will scare a guy.
View Quote

And your neighbors too!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
You must be renting this place, I dont know anyone who owns his own home that would fire a pistol at a mouse. [heavy]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Next time use a paint ball gun with frozen paintballs.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Now its going to die in your walls and stink up the place
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Even unfrozen paintballs will kill a mouse.

BTW: paintballs can also do some damage to the house-- I mean breakage.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
They sell mouse traps, cheap!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Gargoyle,

don't let these dorks who are dissing your method & style distract you, i keep my Ruger Bearcat loaded full of "Birdshot" at all times, i just took out a pack rat a few days ago, it was looking for an entrance......, i gave it one....., straight to pack rat hell...!!!

BTW i use both Federal & Winchester brand, Fed, is #10 shot & Win. is #12, i use #10 for the "long" shots & #12 for the "close" shots.., both give adequate results on stray cats..., i never seen cats run so fast when peppered with birdshot......
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
just an observation, but from what I understand, if you shoot someone with Black Talons, chances are you are going to get your pants sued off by the family of the "innocent victim that mistakenly entered your home instead of his since he was underpriveledged and confused" or something like that.

One of my families good friends was a county prosecutor in Idaho and is now a defense lawyer and his strongly worked advice was not to use anything abnormal in a carry gun. No reloads, no "special" bullets like ranger SXT's (Black Talons) or black talons. Use what the local cops carry to try and minimize your liability.

Just what I've been repeatedly told, could save you some grief down the road.....

Crash.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for "get a cat".

My cat says "get a cat" too.

So does my other cat.

[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020807/i/1028689623.2013413430.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Shoot that rodent!!  (Just not THIS one! LOL!)

I once shot a rat in the livingroom with a .22 slug.  Wall hole was easy to patch and the SOB never bit my cat again!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just an observation, but from what I understand, if you shoot someone with Black Talons, chances are you are going to get your pants sued off by the family of the "innocent victim that mistakenly entered your home instead of his since he was underpriveledged and confused" or something like that.

One of my families good friends was a county prosecutor in Idaho and is now a defense lawyer and his strongly worked advice was not to use anything abnormal in a carry gun. No reloads, no "special" bullets like ranger SXT's (Black Talons) or black talons. Use what the local cops carry to try and minimize your liability.

Just what I've been repeatedly told, could save you some grief down the road.....

Crash.
View Quote

These "rumors" have got to stop! Same rumor is floating around for using reloads to shoot an intruder. I will use whatever weapon I have at my disposal! They shouldn't be there in the first place! Frivilous civil lawsuits can always be filed, even if you used normal "ball" ammo, or "cop" ammo. But get this-- some "cop ammo" is for LE-only use, so your argument there is faulty.

Please site ANY U.S. criminal or civil court case (NOT THE UK!) where the choice of ammo used was a determining factor in causing the shooter to lose the case.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok ok. Story time

Had a mouse make a nest in some burlap stored with my hunting gear. Thought a bearing was going out on my computer fan or something till I found her. (Only managed to get one computer upgrade out of that one [:(]

I cornered her, mom was running back and forth on the top shelf with 3 suckling babies swinging like soap on a rope. I went to get a dustpan or something, mom got away. So I have these poor widdle baby mice. Just flush em right? nah, I got this thing about suffocation and drowning. It'd be more humane to shoot them with the bb gun right?

right?

Well, sights on piece of junk bb gun are not the greatest, so I sight in, at this distance, I had to hold up about 4 mice lengths, right about 3 mice lengths. The results were neither quick, nor merciful. Just flush em
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#18]
They were .22 shotshells, they arent going to damage anything.. except the mouse.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#19]
"...his strongly worked advice was not to use anything abnormal in a carry gun. No reloads, no "special" bullets like ranger SXT's (Black Talons) or black talons. Use what the local cops carry to try and minimize your liability."

My local PD uses Ranger SXT's.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Crash.
View Quote

With all due respect...BS.  Maybe in Utah...but I doubt seriously if my local sheriff or the country prosecutor will give a damn what I use to whack the bad guy with.  Even IF...I happen to be chased by a crusading anti-gun prosecuter out to make a name for herself, I don't think it matters one bit.

Moreover, I would much rather be charged, tried and judged by twelve of my neighbors than be carried by six of my friends and relatives.  At least with a jury I got a fightin' chance.

I use the hottest defensive loads I can get my hands on for my carry piece...and I mix in a hot hardball round every three or so just for penetration.

If the perp's family wants to take me on...fine.  We'll let my neighbors decide.  Want to bet who wins?  This ain't OJ country.  I suspect that its the same where you live too for that matter.  Having said all that...I wouldn't want to try my luck in LaLa Land...or NYC, DC, Boston, or any other major anti-gun, pro-crook venue.

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Kitty at my foot and I waaaaannnt to touch it!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#22]
You'd better be careful Gargoyle. You might be targeted by militant ASPCA agents who believe in no knock warrants.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
use a shot gun next time. that will get you a confirmed body count.

mike
View Quote

Mouse + Shotgun = Confirmed Body Count

I don't think so. [frag]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Ya wasted precious time changing weapons! Ya should have used the Kimber![pistol] Nice way of introducing yourself into the neighborhood too!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Meeeeeses...holy shit!

About a month after we moved into our new home five years ago, my wife startled the hell out of us one night by yelling there was a mouse in the great room. [shock]

I went to calm Momma down and sure enough...there was a tiny, obviously very scared, field mouse running hell bent for leather between the furniture.  I got the missus to cover one door, sent daughter in law to cover another door and my son retrieved his pellet gun.  We secured the room as well as we could and began the BIG SAFARI!   [50]

Think of the Keystone Kops!  We chased that damn rodent all over the room for a good ten minutes until it ran under the entertainment center.  That sucker was FAST!  We finally had a clear shot and took it.  A .177 cal pellet really whacks a small field mouse.  Like a cannon ball hitting us.   [X]

Now...after the mouse is hors de combat...guess what the girls are saying?  You got it:  "Oh, WHY did you have to kill it?"  And, "It was so small and cute!"
"Look ladies...weren't YOU the ones yelling there's a MOUSE in here?"  [argue]

Now...there's a lesson there.  That's why women should never be combat troops.  [flame]

(I'm really NOT trying to hijack the thread...!!!)  [;D]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#27]
another mouse shooting story....
About 10yrs ago, crap I'm getting old, I had a heck of a mouse problem in the house my wife and I were renting.  I had an honest to god trap line set up that I checked every afternoon and morning.  Usually I would get two or three each time I checked it.  
There was one little sumbitch that never got caught and would touch off my traps.  I actually saw him set one off, the little shit.

Well, to make a short story long?  I grabbed my Daisy 880 and went after him one afternoon.  My first shot at @6yds went high just over his back.  Bounced off the moulding under the couch, putting a nasty ding in it(molding).  Second shot was a running shot across the living room floor, slight scuff on the carpet, and one nice ding in the wall, no mouse, but close.  One wife getting very pissed!  Last shot, in the closet.  Two yards, ok, one.  Ten pumps, ya I wanted blood, but I would have done better with fewer.  I did need penetration though, I shot through a picnic table cloth(plastic).  I could just see his little tail hanging out of the edge of the folded plastic.  I placed the shot where I thought his head, ok, maybe just his body would be.  Thump!  Blood, splattered all over the wall, table cloths, and a nice ding in the hardwood floor, but I got the little sucker!  I think I almost ended up with the mouse, after my wife saw all of the damage.  

BTW, I have used pistol shot on wood, and it DOES make a mess.  It penetrates very easily.  I would not advise using it in your HOUSE!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll send my Lakeland Terrier over, that little somebitch can kill any  varmit with 4 legs [:P]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice shooting Gargoyle-HA! HA! bite my bare tail-you missed![:P]

“Grabbed my Kimber” my hairy little butt-try 10 minutes of “YEEK! YEEK! YEEK! 911? SEND HELP QUICK!” before .22 came out.

By the way if you read this before you leave work pick up some Crunch Berry and Roquefort on the way home, you’re out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you have an M-1 Garand? If so, try this.

Lock the bolt back. Smear some peanut butter on the follower. Pull the bolt back just enough to unlock it, and allow it to slide forward, resting against the follower. Gently lay it on the cabinet.

Mousie aint gettin out of this one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Report:  I picked up a couple of those mouse glue traps.  I want to interogate this little sum bitch!  BTW folks, .22 birdshot is like salt.  It is made to shoot indoors, popular use is in metal machine sheds and barns.

I'm not even commenting on the Black Talon, fairytale court stories.  Stick to the f@cking topic people!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you have an M-1 Garand? If so, try this.

Lock the bolt back. Smear some peanut butter on the follower. Pull the bolt back just enough to unlock it, and allow it to slide forward, resting against the follower. Gently lay it on the cabinet.

Mousie aint gettin out of this one.
View Quote

Gross!  No way man!  Mess up the Garand like THAT?  [shock]

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I shot a mouse in the back of a wood bed truck, killed the mouse and got a taste of lead dust and mouse guts at the same time from the bounce back, I hate mices to pieces.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I know MOST of you are joking about shooting the mice indoors with any kind of firearm, but since the #12 snake/rat shot stuff keeps coming up...

I just got some of this stuff. It would probably kill a mouse, but the stuff is so fine - it's like dust. Do you really want lead dust (and mouse guts) all over your kitchen?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, another mouse guts story.

When I was first married I didn't know how dense my wife could really be.  We had an infestation of little rodents and she didn't do real well setting traps; caught this little fella but didn't kill him.  She also had an aversion to drowning them and asked me what to do.  Wanting to be humane, I suggested she take him and trap out in the garage and crush his head with an old sledge by the door.  (Thinking maybe a 1" drop would do the poor thing in.)  Wifey didn't think like I did.  (Later learned thinking was NOT one of her strong suits!) Heard this blood curdling scream and she come running in with blood and guts all the way from her knees to her nose.  I mean DRIPPING!  Asked what happened.  Said she did as I suggested - held the hammer up about 5 FEET and dropped all ten pounds of it on the poor little rodent!!!  I didn't realize  the volume of gore in one tiny mouse.  She was really pissed as I ROLLED on the floor laughing!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#36]
about not using black talons and only using what law enforcement uses: I Johnny Law does use black talons, or least the Chicago PD do.  "It could have been alot worse, you almost got a black talon in the back of your head"
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#37]
WTF difference does it make WHAT I shoot the perp with?  If I display a gun I intend to shoot something.  I NEVER shoot ANYTHING or ANYONE to wound.  I shoot to kill or I don't shoot.  I do not intimidate with a gun.  What do these numbnuts WANT me to shoot some lunatic with - foam bullets?  A carry gun has but one purpose - force - to defend my life against mortal danger.  What does my choice of ammo have to do with it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#38]
My girlfriend's parents live in the northern part of the lower pennisula of Michigan. They have pretty large pond behind the house.  One day her kid brother found a whole nest of mice in the garage living large on the dog food. He caught all the little ones. Mom got away. Well he decides for got fishing with the mice.  He tossed one in the pond.  The little guy was swimming for dear life.  A big shadow came up and whoosh!  A giant bass just swallowed it whole.  Well, we fed the whole nest to the bass.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#39]
ARDOC-- did you hook them to then end of a line????
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#40]
No lines.  It was just too fascinating to watch this mini-Jaws scenario.  These fish (5 big mouths and 3 northerns) have been the pond for a while and are like pets.  But lately they have been forced to stock the pond with other little fish as food for the biggins.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I seem to remember that a neighbor of my grandma's used his shotgun to remove the mouse problem from his house...  and proceeded to fire at him behind the GAS DRYER and damage the gas line...  

long story short, the house is no longer, the guy moved away, and grandma has a good story to tell on occasion...  The foundation is still on the lot down the street...

It was in western michigan, on the ottawa/muskegon county border, for those who might know the area and have heard the story...

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Woke up to the sound of all my dishes clinking in the kitchen and the dog going nuts outside.  Funny thing was that I was so dead asleep and startled I forgot the layout of the room in the dark.(moved in a couple weeks ago) Picked the Kimber .45 loaded with Black Talon up off the floor and crept towards the noise which was still coming.  I got to the door, night sights a glowing, and quickly flipped on the kitchen light.  F@cking mouse was eating from a cereal bowl, klinking a fork and spoon inside the bowl as it scurried to eat.

That will scare a guy.
View Quote

Ha ha ha!  I love the stories from the people on this board.  I live in a duplex house and have a family living upstairs.  They are my tenants.  So one night, around 8:30 or 9:00 I hear the doorknob on my front door being turned back and forth, really gently.  It sounded to me like someone was trying to stealthily open the door.  No one lives in my house with me (the tenants are upstairs), so no one should be opening my front door except for me.  I consider grabbing my SKS and investigating, but I decide just to see who/what it is, figuring if it was a bad guy, I'd retreat to the bedroom and get my gun.  Turns out it was my tenants' son--he's about 2 years old and was playing with my doorknob.  Needless to say, I was damn glad I didn't fling open the door with my gun in hand!

-Nick Viejo
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't know about you guys but I only use Hollow points in my guns that have way too much penetration(ten mill auto .ect)  Just so I don't blow away the BG and my neighbors.   I want the round to break bone,and cause massive blood loss and spinal trauma.

There fore I use  230 grain lead bullets in my .45 acp,240 grn 44 special in my 44,115 grn or 147 in my nine mil.158 grn lead 38 special.

I also like a quick fragmenting shell in my A/Rs.

I don't want my under powered nine stoping short of its mark,or my forty four being too hot too transfer its power to its target. A forty four special is just about like a .45 acp in its stopping power.

For killing mice a good single shot or bolt action 22 rifle with CB round(coon hunters special)  Quiet but stout will take care of rats,cats,coons,squirrels.   Better than a colimbra round or short.

To each his own,by the way good hunting!

Bob   [8D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Well. In my special situation, the nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away, and I live alone.  I am re-drywalling the entire house next month, so I have room to get creative!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#47]
You know if everyone listened to that Masaad IamAboob, no one would need a gun, cause if you used it you would be doomed in court no matter what the frig you did. He is a paid expert and could argue anything, anyway it suited him. I just hate those magazine writers, especially him, had a few guys drop him off at his motel room once and he entered it like a room clearing exercise for the guys in the squad car waiting to make sure he got in his room, he is a A**hole, with a capital A. Also saw him handle a room clearing exercise that was beyond hard by saying , I would wait for back up , this was not the point of the exercise but that is what he did, and instructors said, wow, that is amazing, like it were words from a burning bush. But everyone else had to do it ,no matter what from that point on, give me a break. Like I said he is a A**hole capital A.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You know if everyone listened to that Masaad IamAboob, no one would need a gun, cause if you used it you would be doomed in court no matter what the frig you did. He is a paid expert and could argue anything, anyway it suited him. I just hate those magazine writers, especially him, had a few guys drop him off at his motel room once and he entered it like a room clearing exercise for the guys in the squad car waiting to make sure he got in his room, he is a A**hole, with a capital A. Also saw him handle a room clearing exercise that was beyond hard by saying , I would wait for back up , this was not the point of the exercise but that is what he did, and instructors said, wow, that is amazing, like it were words from a burning bush. But everyone else had to do it ,no matter what from that point on, give me a break. Like I said he is a A**hole capital A.
View Quote

Thank you for sharing with the class. We're all refreshed by your unique perspective on mouse killing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY

Critter Claymore is your sure fire cure for ratty rodents in your room!

Ingredients:
Plastic soap dish lid (convex type)
BB's to fill lid evenly
Appx 100 gm C4 or equiv.
1 #8 elctric blasting cap
1 9v battery

spray inside of soap dish lid with tack spray (from art supply store) to hold BB's in place. Mold C4 and lay in single layer over BB's, filling all voids, and not disrupting layer. Place cap in center, cover w/additional C4 as needed. Place curvy side towards appropriate bait (Barney doll covered in peanut butter, or large wedge of cheese)Critter Claymore may be command detonated (apply hearing and eye protection, and attach cap leads to 9v battery) or appropriate pressure switch. Just remember:

[(:)] good guy       )  bad guy   [xx(]

The following has been intended as a delightful jog down the realm of satire. If you actually make and use one of these contraptions, while it may work, you'll be replacing all your dishes, cabinets, kitchen windows and drywalling for a month...although you do get used to that "just fresh blasted" smell after a while [;)]

View Quote

You guys think Tango7 is joking. Ask him how his side door window got broken. Or how he tore up his leg at work. Don't bother asking him about Miami though, he still won't talk about it. I still can't hear out of my left ear.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Shoot that rodent!!  (Just not THIS one! LOL!)

I once shot a rat in the livingroom with a .22 slug.  Wall hole was easy to patch and the SOB never bit my cat again!
View Quote

You had a rat bite your cat?!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top