Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 6:37:27 PM EDT
I was talking to someone in the airforce this sat. He told me they issue them Smith and Wesson 9MM that are finished in olive drab. Can anyine confirm this?
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. We all get issued the M9, and in some cases the M11 (Sig 228)and that's it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
that guys full of shit. end of story
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nope. We all get issued the M9, and in some cases the M11 (Sig 228)and that's it.
View Quote

Is the pistol sidearm the standard weapon for Air Force pilots or are you also issued carbine assault rifles?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
pilots dont get carbines they get M9s with some females and officers/staffNCOs with clout get M11s. the sig is a status symbol in the military among high-speed types in the Marine Corps the highest echelon of "look-at-me-im-cool" sidearms is the 1911 MEUSOC pistol. spooks and contract operators have been spotted with CZ75s and those squeeze cock HKs
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
DvlDog, in the USAF, the only people who get the M11 as standard are OSI (our equivalant of NIS). As most of our high ranking commanders are pilots anyway, they all get the M9. Even the PJ's and Combat Control guys I know get the M9. Originally, the Sig was supposed to be for women and others with smaller frames, but it just didn't happen that way. During the Gulf war there was a severe shortage of M9's. And rather than go with the S&W revolvers that were left, my cousin's squadron (F4 pilots) were permitted to bring their personal guns. He told me that almost everyone bought Glock 17s. I also know that when I was in Germany, all of the contract security guys used CZ75's but that is about the extent of handguns I have personal knowlege about.

edited cuz' I can't spell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
During the Gulf war there was a severe shortage of M9's. And rather than go with the S&W revolvers that were left, my cousin's squadron (F4 pilots) were permitted to bring their personal guns. He told me that almost everyone bought Glock 17s.
View Quote

Glocks... I guess that explains those small-arms bullet holes all over the aircraft of that squadron. Any of the pilots shoot themselves in the nuts? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
my dad was a national guard cobra pilot and when he went to desert storm they bought Glock 17s because all their unit had were ruger GP100s in .357 with .38special ammo issued. funny thing is, they got the pistols over there but couldnt get them back through customs. somewhere in Saudi there are some low mileage glocks buried in the sand.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
back before the M9, all the Army (~) had was 1911's (Life was Good![:)]) and .38's for the womenz (or small handed peoples)
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
pilots dont get carbines they get M9s with some females and officers/staffNCOs with clout get M11s. the sig is a status symbol in the military among high-speed types in the Marine Corps the highest echelon of "look-at-me-im-cool" sidearms is the 1911 MEUSOC pistol. spooks and contract operators have been spotted with CZ75s and those squeeze cock HKs
View Quote

You don't have a store of bigger guns inside though? One of the crashed pilots pulled an MP5 from a locker in the movie Black Hawk Down. Not that I'd believe Hollywood over a real pilot but BHD was based off the real event, though I'm unsure quite how close the details are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Helo pilots generally have the option of going with a M4 or pistol, the spec-ops helo pilots can draw M4s or MP5s if they are qualified. The fighter pilots just don't have room for anything bigger than a pistol in their survival gear though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
only pilots ive seen with carbines are 160th SOAR guys. a lot of senior pilots like CW4's and up havent held a long gun in years. in BHD the pilots are armed because they are 160th Aviator might be able to set us straight on this.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple friends of mine that are Huey and or UH60 crew chiefs, they tell me their pilots mostly carry M9s, but have seen them with M16s. Remember, these are all AF guys, so there may be some policy variations between the services.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And rather than go with the S&W revolvers that were left, my cousin's squadron (F4 pilots) were permitted to bring their personal guns. He told me that almost everyone bought Glock 17s.
View Quote

Wild Weasels?

Scott

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Navy aircrew gets M11's.  I was told it was because the M9 doesnt fit (or doesnt fit well) in the survival vest.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in the Air Force the pilots (C-5 cargo) were issued snubnose SW .38s that they proceeded to quickly lock in a box and not carry on their person.
I later was able to inspect some pistols (I had a friend in the Armoury) and these gun were in almost mint condition except for rack wear.  The cylnders were full of dust down to were the bullets sat, then they were clean.

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top