Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 5:46:07 PM EDT
I have been putting some thought into this college campus anti Israel/jew stuff.
I went to a working man's college for under grad, and other than one black group having demos and stuff there wasn't a lot of racial/religion crap because everyone there was the good/smart folks in their family and were going to make it in life for the first time in family history (the black group died when they got carried away and broke up a conference B-Ball game, that don't fly even with other blacks)

Anyhow, I got into a top law school, the University of Michigan (between #4 and #7, depending on the poll), and things were way different. They talked a good game about getting blacks and mexicans ahead, and did it for some, but what it really was was little Israel.

1/3 of the profs were Jewish, and the new hires were more like 1/2. At least 1/4 of the students were also. They would throw it in your face all the time. Schedule official class review sessions on Sunday morning, have the admin overrule Friday night parties (so our spouses could never have fun, the parties always had to be Thursday night), even food choices were ruled by them, and I mean they would make a big deal out of setting down the rules and telling everyone why.

There was also a lot of wink wink going on about hillel and grading and the temple beth something or other.

I have to guess all the good schools are like that. That makes me wonder if the current pro-pally thing in vogue is just some sort of payback from folks tired of being 2nd class when it comes to grades and jobs at the colleges.

A little bit of wanting to be trendy and a little bit of dislike could go a long way.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
well, there's a lot of smart Jewish people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to Ann Arbor. [:D]

Was Marty Guere still a prof when you were there?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been putting some thought into this college campus anti Israel/jew stuff.
I went to a working man's college for under grad, and other than one black group having demos and stuff there wasn't a lot of racial/religion crap because everyone there was the good/smart folks in their family and were going to make it in life for the first time in family history (the black group died when they got carried away and broke up a conference B-Ball game, that don't fly even with other blacks)

Anyhow, I got into a top law school, the University of Michigan (between #4 and #7, depending on the poll), and things were way different. They talked a good game about getting blacks and mexicans ahead, and did it for some, but what it really was was little Israel.

1/3 of the profs were Jewish, and the new hires were more like 1/2. At least 1/4 of the students were also. They would throw it in your face all the time. Schedule official class review sessions on Sunday morning, have the admin overrule Friday night parties (so our spouses could never have fun, the parties always had to be Thursday night), even food choices were ruled by them, and I mean they would make a big deal out of setting down the rules and telling everyone why.

There was also a lot of wink wink going on about hillel and grading and the temple beth something or other.

I have to guess all the good schools are like that. That makes me wonder if the current pro-pally thing in vogue is just some sort of payback from folks tired of being 2nd class when it comes to grades and jobs at the colleges.

A little bit of wanting to be trendy and a little bit of dislike could go a long way.
View Quote

I am not sure I understand your grading and wink wink comment. My law school has anonymous grading, doesn't yours. Also, although my law school was not religious, it was part of a Jesuit undergraduate,  but to say that the catholics and the school were doing any wink wink things would be, well, stupied.

If you wanted to go to a school that didn't want to balance everyone's feelings, you should have gone to a public school or catholic school.

That makes me wonder if the current pro-pally thing in vogue is just some sort of payback from folks tired of being 2nd class when it comes to grades and jobs at the colleges.
View Quote

Oh now it comes out, the cry of the person who blames others for their grades or lack of jobs.  Reminds me of a girl in my glass who was on the dean list, and couldn't find a job.  She kept blaming it on our school ranking, but yet people with lower GPAs found jobs.  At a certain point, I just wanted to turn to her and say "It's you."  You know, I did get a B- in property.  I'll get back to you guys on who'll I blame for that (but obviously, it wasn't my fault).

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Transfer.

If you are firm in your convictions about what happens ther and why, go to a different school.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of anti-semitism stems from what you're describing, the clannishness of the Jews, looking out for each other, giving preferential treatment and opportunities. A friend of mine tried screenwriting out for a while, and being Jewish opened so many doors from him, he had to admit.

But WASPs used to be like that, although I think that class of people is pretty much extinct (does anyone miss them? My guess is no)Jews were often a victim of WASP exclusion, maybe this is their way of getting back.  It is pretty shitty of your faculty to rub your face in it and make it obvious that being Jewish gives you an inside track.  Jews have been on the outside for untold generations, they're probably really relishing that they can exclude others in the best institutions and industries.

It's not very cool or ingratiating, but I can understand it. I dont like it, but I can understand it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of anti-semitism stems from what you're describing, the clannishness of the Jews, looking out for each other, giving preferential treatment and opportunities. A friend of mine tried screenwriting out for a while, and being Jewish opened so many doors from him, he had to admit.

View Quote

Sounds to me that racism BY Semites is given a pass, but racism against Semites is considered the paramount of all evils. (Giving racism BY Semites a pass swings the pendulum so that racism is SURE to be returned to them. It creates a never ending spiral)

How long are people who had nothing to do with the Holocaust, and who disdain Hitlers murderous action against the Jews gonna be subjected to an un-level playing field with regard to what racism is considered "kosher."

(pun intended)

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds to me that racism BY Semites is given a pass, but racism against Semites is considered the paramount of all evils. (Giving racism BY Semites a pass swings the pendulum so that racism is SURE to be returned to them. It creates a never ending spiral)
View Quote

You hit the nail right on the head, Garandman, and something I've observed for a long time. According to some people (Jews mostly since they control most of the media in this country) it's OK for Jews to hate but it's not OK to hate Jews. You see this here quite a bit, even though Jews are some of the most anti-gun people in the country. It's OK for us to dislike anti-gun Latinos, just about anybody of Muslim or Arabic descent, anti-gun blacks, etc but it's not OK to dislike Jews for the same reasons. You see this also in the black community - it's OK for blacks to hate whites and beat them up without being charged with a hate crime but of course, the reverse is not true.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Kroagnon -

OF COURSE we want NO hate in the world. We realize that's NEVER gonna happen.

What I object to is someone telling me "Sure the playing field is not level. Tough."

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Gee, when did the world change so?  Been to 5 colleges and universities (3 as an undergrad, 2 as a grad student). Nobody ever descheduled a Saturday class for me. Only time I ever got a job because I was Jewish was when I went to work for a synagogue. Currently the only Jew in a crew of 120 people (I think). Wife is one of only two in a 200+ person operation.

Damn, wish I'd gotten the word sooner. I'd have moved to where we run things-----or maybe it's an exaggerated piece of BS that got posted . [;D]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only time I ever got a job because I was Jewish was when I went to work for a synagogue. . [;D]
View Quote

Look forward to teh day synagogues can't discriminate against Muslims.

Just like Chrsitians can't descriminate against homos.

its a screwed up world we live in, friend.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gee, when did the world change so?  Been to 5 colleges and universities (3 as an undergrad, 2 as a grad student). Nobody ever descheduled a Saturday class for me. Only time I ever got a job because I was Jewish was when I went to work for a synagogue. Currently the only Jew in a crew of 120 people (I think). Wife is one of only two in a 200+ person operation.

Damn, wish I'd gotten the word sooner. I'd have moved to where we run things-----or maybe it's an exaggerated piece of BS that got posted . [;D]
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
or maybe it's an exaggerated piece of BS that got posted .
View Quote

University of Michigan Law School, Richard Friedman was the single worst at the Sunday study session game, he would take suggestions for sat sessions, grin, and then proclaim it was sunday or nothing.

Others were less obvious.

Of the profs, the old timers were straight about stuff, no matter who they were. The younger ones were the ones who would pull the hillel act, or demand the goat cheese pizza in concert (consort? [:\]) with the students (and then scarf the normal pizza first and leave nothing for us but the goat crap)

I think law school and the softer sciences tends to be that way more, friends went ed and lit and bio and didn't see it, whereas phil and poli sci folks have told me that was also the way it was for them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Historically, that is the reasoning behind anti-Semitism. And that behavior is still the case today. Anyone who has done business in predominately Jewish areas, such as west LA, will attest to that. But it's not just Jews who conduct themselves that way. Spend some time in Chinatown.

Personally, I never saw that behavior in college. In fact, when I was in college in the early-mid 1980's, the Pals were constantly protesting Zionism, plastering "Zionism is Racism" banners all across campus. That went on the entire time I was there and I was on the 5 1/2 year plan!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Currently the only Jew in a crew of 120 people (I think). Wife is one of only two in a 200+ person operation.

View Quote

It's more likely that you don't spout the Typical Jewish Arrogance of "I'm Jewish and the world owes everything to me" baloney; your co-workers don't know or don't care because it doesn't affect your relationship with them. It's a pity most of the Jews in America don't act in a similar fashion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
why is it always the same people who spout the anti-jewish stuff.

Happy Shooter sounds like jealousy to me. Should have gone to BYU. No Jews

Seems to me Jews stress education and believe
heavily in family . Being italian i was always brought up to get a good union or civil service job get married and have kids.I have many Jewish friends and now quite a few others.
I dont know any who are in trouble with the law, or divorced or uneducated for that matter,
maybe i am jealous too. fortunately i went to college and was able to learn and be prepared to open my own business.

PS Last time i was in Michigan i saw nothing but Arabs everywhere
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is it the same people who jump up to defend Jews always seem to live in New York?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I thought about that, and I don't think so. More like POed about what was going on.
As far as law schools, I freely admit that Michigan was the best school that would let me in. HYS all said no.
Pepperdine gave me a great offer, and the living there would have been heaven and the faculty is more conservative, but they were not high enough on the ratings (and just so it does not come up here, I am not of their faith)
Chicago was very tempting, but they and Mich rate about the same and my wife had a good job in metro Detroit, and her mother is near there, so I went liberal instead of somewhere I would have fit in better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is it the same people who jump up to defend Jews always seem to live in New York?
View Quote

im not defending anyone, must be the Jewish conspiracy ur talking about. They control the media(everyone knows Rupert murdock and Ted turner are closet Jews). They control finance
(Enron & Worldcom were full of em}. 14 million
people in NY 13,999,999 Jews & me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought about that, and I don't think so. More like POed about what was going on.
As far as law schools, I freely admit that Michigan was the best school that would let me in. HYS all said no.
Pepperdine gave me a great offer, and the living there would have been heaven and the faculty is more conservative, but they were not high enough on the ratings (and just so it does not come up here, I am not of their faith)
Chicago was very tempting, but they and Mich rate about the same and my wife had a good job in metro Detroit, and her mother is near there, so I went liberal instead of somewhere I would have fit in better.
View Quote

Dude im not knocking ur decision, u gotta do whats best for #1. I would say u experienced what Jews go thru at almost every other college in the US when they are the huge minority.

Where would u rather live Ann Arbor or Dearborn?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

im not defending anyone, must be the Jewish conspiracy ur talking about. They control the media(everyone knows Rupert murdock and Ted turner are closet Jews). They control finance
(Enron & Worldcom were full of em}. 14 million
people in NY 13,999,999 Jews & me.
View Quote

LOL!
See jackass, i'll go slow fer ya.

They DO control the media, even though Ted Turner isn't one. (I'll be glad to post a detailed list of Jews in the Media if you want one)
New York IS full of Jews, even though you don't happen to be one
and they ARE disproportianatley involved in Finance, even though "Enron" isn't a Jewish name.

Moron.

I absolutle can't stand people who try and negate the larger picture by citing the annomoly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#23]
They DO control the media, even though Ted Turner isn't one. (I'll be glad to post a detailed list of Jews in the Media if you want one)
New York IS full of Jews, even though you don't happen to be one
and they ARE disproportianatley involved in Finance, even though "Enron" isn't a Jewish name.
View Quote

the fact that u have comprised specific lists of these things shows u are a moron. U are one paranoid guy
Didnt u know it used to be called ENRONBERG CORP
but when they stole all that money they didnt want to be known as the Jews that swindled their shareholders so they dropped the BERG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top