Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 5:14:43 PM EDT
My wife got a free X-Box from work, but no games.  What are some good ones?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
HALO: Combat Evolved

This game just plain kicks ass... My brother got me hooked, so I went out and bought an X-Box and the game; the cool thing about the X-Box is that you can connecting them via ethernet cable and playing one-on-one. It is sci-fi, but has some seriously cool firepower. Just a really good first-person shooter; if you like that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Got one when the price dropped, and got a Blockbust games pass, so we have been trying them out like madmen...these stick out in my mind

Great:
Outlaw Golf
Oddworld
Circus Maximus
SSX Tricky (A surprise given the subject, but much fun)

Good on the edge of great:
Crazy Taxi

Sucks Raw Ass, avoid:
James Bond
JSF (actually worse than that)

Try the smaller controller and the DVD remote for more useage and fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
HALO is great until the third level, with the gay driving method thing, that was so bad it made me take it back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Max Payne.

Halo is also good.

Frankly, I'm disappointed with the lame games being offered for the Xbox. There is not one good flight simulator game, nor any good combat type games like Medal of Honor. Think I might dump my Xbox and get a Playstation.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Halo, definitely  a top drawer first person shooter

[b]max pane[/b] another good fps

[b]gauntlet dark legend[/b]
(d&d type role playing game)

[red]and coming in October.....[/red]
Tom Clancy's  [b]"GHOST RECON"[/b]

[blue]Games that suck [/blue]

James bond, silent hill 2, munches odyssey

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HALO is great until the third level, with the gay driving method thing, that was so bad it made me take it back.
View Quote

You mean the warthog or whatever they're called? It takes some getting used to alright, but nothing insurmountable.  If [b]I[/b] can pick it up, surely you can.  Give it another try when you have a day to burn.

DJK,
Another one that I liked is Bloodwake. You run an attack boat against other boats, mines, etc.

Features various rockets,guns, torpedoes, shore batteries, etc.

Great fun
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot to mention Road Test, if you like racing.

I LIKED Munch's Oddessey.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
HALO, the shooting! the driving! the killing!

The driving was fun in two player. That big 3-barreled 12.7x99mm machine gun on top of the warthog? Thats a GAU-19 .50 bmg in real life. SWEETNESS
[50]
[50]
[50]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
use it as a target.

CONSOLES MUST DIE!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
HALO.. period.. i bought one just cuz of halo and i still play it almost everyday..

PS2 has a lot better selection...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a Rally car type game, can't remember the name right now, it's Rally-something-or -other. Anyway, it's really good, especially was impressed with the graphics and stuff while in two player mode.

jester
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Luger355...where did you hear that Ghost Recon was comming out in Ocotober? I went to xbox.com and they mention titles comming out all the way too next summer....no mention of Ghost Recon at all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
luger355...Sorry I found it on the official web sight under ALL GAMES.  I hope the character movement is like Halo and not like Bond!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
No one here has said Silent Hill 2 Yet.  Very scarey well thought out game with 4 different endings.  If you like killing zombies with shotguns and lengths of pipe it is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Halo rules
[url]http://halo.bungie.org/misc/warthogjumpmirrors.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Does your wife get eny extras? [:)]

I'm toying around w/ the idea of getting one, & from what I can gather, the following seem to be pretty good titles:

"Halo" - Set a pretty good standard for the console.

"MotoGP" - A really well-executed GP bike racing sim, if you like that sort of thing. I know I'll get it.

"Robotech: Battle Cry" - Due around Sept-Oct. If you're familiar w/ the anime series, you'll know what this one is about. It looks pretty good so far.

"Outcast: Jedi Knight 2" - This one is a great PC title. Don't know when it is due out, though I'll bet sometime before Christmas. I'm kinda hoping they'll employ one of the analog sticks for the saber swing control, but given that the PC version uses button inputs, I doubt it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top