Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 4:17:06 PM EDT
And backpacking area.  The large wildfire in the eastern San Diego County mountains was touched off a week ago when an Army National Guard helicopter snooping in peoples' back yards clipped a power line.  The worst of it is at this moment burning about 3 miles west of Borrego Springs, an area where I have been camping and stargazing and hiking since before the last big fire there in 1975.  It's taken these 27 years for the vegetation to recover.

Is the threat to society posed by a few people growing pot plants up in the mountains so great as to justify burning 40,000+ acres of wild lands, dozens of homes, and costing an anticipated $20 million in firefighting costs not to mention injured firefighters?

The only good news is that change makes the wild places interesting around here.  They burn every so often, and you get to watch it all grow back so it can burn again.  It's going to be a bitch finding shade out there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
do those cash croppers ever shoot at hikers that stumble across the maryjane plantations?

i'll bet those guys grow some fine herb in cali.

hooch weed is the no.1 cash crop in w. va., and a fellow better not hike too far off the beaten path or he might not come back.

fortunately, hunting season is after the harvest.

btw, we have the dope 'copters here in ohio, also...our tax dollars at work losing the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't personally heard of anyone in San Diego County getting shot at while hiking.  There are some lovable cantankerous crackpots out in the hills who regularly brandish weapons at youthful hikers who trespass on posted lands, but that's perfectly legal and nobody gets hurt.

I doubt that there are any large guerrilla pot farms except maybe on the far side of Palomar Mountain.  There isn't enough well isolated and covered public land here to support a big operation.  You can see everything west of the coastal range as far north as Oceanside in a three-hour flight in a small airplane.

People grow their crops onesey-twosey and share with their neighbors.  Kind of like we do with tomatoes and zucchini.

War on drugs or not, the ANG has no business spying on people at random.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
MJ is the No. 1 cash crop in Cali as well.  You'd be surprised how many places that's true.  Only reason the fedgov criminalizes it is they can't tax it.  Just like moonshine during Prohibition.  If the fedgoons could tax it they'd be trucking it into your back yard.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Copperhead Road.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank God my government is protecting me from reefer madness.....

[%|]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ever wonder where "Fallbrook" sensi came from?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top