Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 2:14:43 PM EDT
If you have RealMedia, I recommend this little jewel:
[url]www.justicetalking.org/media/jtGettingGuns.ram[/url]
It's a debate between David Kopel (Independence Institute, Pro 2nd Amendment [i]liberal[/i] lawyer) and Michael Beard of The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence.  About 1 hour.

I'm disappointed that Kopel didn't rip Beard a new one when he keeps claiming that the 2nd Amendment only protects a collective right to militias, but a pretty good debate if you can keep your blood pressure down.

Edited to fix the link myself.  D'Oh!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]Gun shows are an increasing source of guns for criminals.

Gun shows are where felons bypass background checks when they buy from private dealers.

Guys that don't want to fill out paperwork go to gunshows.

Federal stats. show less than 2% of crime guns come from gunshows but such and such a PD testified....

[/b]

Blah, blah, blah.

And that's only the opening report.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems to boil down to facts (2% of weapons used in crimes came from gun shows)vs feelings (you remember all the school shootings).

High points

Registration would help people with stolen weapons because most people don't know the model and serial number of their weapons. (LOL)

"...remember Ronald Regan and his security group being pelted with bullets?" (Didn't the shooter use a 6 shot revolver?)

The firearms industry is unregulated. (what does the ATF do?)

Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You're welcome.

My favorite part was where Beard came out and stated in no uncertain terms that he wanted all sales to undergo background checks - period.  Essentially, he admitted what we've known all along - it ain't about gun shows (aside from shutting them down) it's about building a registration database by requiring [i]all[/i] transactions to go through the process.

I'm disappointed that Kopel didn't call him on that either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top