Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/24/2012 5:08:07 PM EDT
Thank me later ... http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ there is no start button in Win8 anywhere..just a FYI.

I'm just testing it but its pure suck without this added in  Oh and I hate this POS , I hope it goes the way of Vista...
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.  There are a bunch of new features and improvements in Windows 8 that I just hate.  If you are using a touch screen it probably helps but when you have a desktop with a mouse it sucks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, I'll stick with ME
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It took 7 for me to dump XP, so I'll have to wait till 9 or whatever comes after 8 before changing again.  

Sticking with 7 here and at work....though we are still running a few XP systems for a bit longer.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meh, I'll stick with ME

Oh god.   You poor soul.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Sticking with 7, no problems for me so far and runs just fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, I'll stick with ME

Oh god.   You poor soul.

I honestly think ME is more usable than 8's default shell.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Meh, I'll stick with ME

Quoted:

I honestly think ME is more usable than 8's default shell.

If you're just talking about clicking on shit and having a start menu... Well, whatever. 98 and 7 both blow ME out of the water on the interface, and 3.1 blows ME out of the water on usability and stability and features.

Me and a buddy were messing around with some computers back in the day... Two nearly identical machines, both running ME. We tried hooking them up to a network. We could get one or the other to access the internet, but not at the same time. We could not get the machines to talk to each other, no matter what we did. WinME = sneaker net time. We went back to 95 after that.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm waiting for the Windows 8 patch that removes metro and returns to using the desktop by default.

Oh wait.

I already have that, its called Windows 7.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Im sticking to 7 , and planning on keeping my 90 users on 7 also , but we just got 50 win8 licenses for free so I was asked to test it and give my recommendations , which will be to skip win8 and wait for the next one...
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the over/under for number of service packs?
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I seriously love Windows 8. I've been using it for a month or so now and I won't go back to Windows 7. You don't have a start button as you are used to it, but the home page basically becomes the start menu with tiles for everything. The tile system is customizable for what you want to do and you have the option of clicking to the "desktop" which is exactly like the classic windows desktop except that there is no start menu. If you hover your mouse in the lower left corner you can click back to the tiles.

I've had no trouble and much more reliability under 8. And Microsoft is going to allow upgrading from any Windows OS for around $40.00 which is a huge price drop from previous versions.

As soon as the new MS Surface has been out for a while I'll be dumping my iPad to get one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I can see in a year or 2 when we have cheap windows 8 tablets under 300$ , it will have potential.  They really should just have 2 buttons on the start screen one that says Tablet GUI and one for PC GUI , it will save alot of bitching and headaches . I'm guessing we will see them add a old style start menu back in within a few months maybe...
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate any type of change too, I mean who do Microsoft think they are coming up here in my face trying to improve of what they've already given me.

I say No to Microsoft Windows 8, and I haven't even tried it yet but the internet has made up my mind.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It took 7 for me to dump XP, so I'll have to wait till 9 or whatever comes after 8 before changing again.  

This.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I just went the past 2 weeks with W8 on my desktop. Just reinstalled W7 last night.
If MS comes out with a patch to give desktop users a normal desktop, then maybe I'll switch back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#18]
OSX is still usable.

Anyway, I really like 7. Other than the new interface, are there any other substantive improvements in 8? I haven't played with it yet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]

No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OSX is still usable.

Anyway, I really like 7. Other than the new interface, are there any other substantive improvements in 8? I haven't played with it yet.
Windows 8 seems to be much faster in my opinion than Windows 7.   I think part of that is they finally completely ditched the Windows Aero stuff that I never really liked.

I didn't like it at first but the new metro start menu has grown on me.  I like the live tiles.  

For all of those with Windows 8, the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut comes in real handy.  Opens up a list of commonly used stuff like the control panels, run command, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just went the past 2 weeks with W8 on my desktop. Just reinstalled W7 last night.
If MS comes out with a patch to give desktop users a normal desktop, then maybe I'll switch back.

thats what the classic shell addon does , it puts the start menu back in win8 .
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Unless you have a tablet... there is no reason to get win 8.

Games, business programs, and anything important will be on win 7 for the foreseeable future.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll only get Windows 8 when they add it to the Retina cloud on the app store. I’ve heard that they’ll be bringing out a mini version in 6 months anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll wait and see what Windows 9 looks like. We've finally almost got all our workstations off XP and onto 7.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Games, business programs, and anything important will be on win 7 for the foreseeable future.

Yup. They wanted to integrate their mobile and desktop environments, thinking that the touchscreen is the wave of the future. For people like me (CAD design, FEA, programming, etc.), the enterprise solution is the one I will stick with. The reason the upgrade is so cheap is to try to get people to adopt something they don't otherwise see an incentive for.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

While I don't necessarily disagree that there isn't a reason to get win 8, I've been running my games and business programs just fine on Windows 8.  I actually had a bunch of problems with Max Payne 3 on Windows 7 and none on Windows 8.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'll wait and see what Windows 9 looks like. We've finally almost got all our workstations off XP and onto 7.

Somethign like this...

I have played with it and I am just not seeing it (on a desktop) at all...
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/iJpNF.jpg

No thanks.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Is it true that Microsoft is going to an App Store model for software applications for the Win 8 desktop, precluding the ability to install anything else?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Win8 = Vista v2
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is it true that Microsoft is going to an App Store model for software applications for the Win 8 desktop, precluding the ability to install anything else?

No it's not true.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sort of. Modern-UI apps using the new Windows Runtime API are required to be distributed through the Windows Store.

I'm pretty sure the Enterprise version doesn't have this limitation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
So I have been playing with it quite a bit recently, running it on an old Pentium D desktop, an A8 desktop, a budget i3 gaming rig, a overclocked 980 Phenom gaming rig with 6950's crossfired, and a HP Tx2 tablet computer (like the old ones with keyboards).

On literally every single one of them... Windows 8 SEEMS to preform better overall, and I know that it preforms better in recordable tasks. Boot times will be easily twice as fast, and the tablet is about 10 times as fast as a clean Windows 7 install. I have found several programs my company uses that we need XP mode for, since they do not run on Win7, that DO run on Win8. Gaming is better (note: a few games do not work on Win8 yet), noticeable FPS increases in everything I have tried.

What I have come to see is that anyone who dislikes Windows 8 has either never tried it and just goes with the crowd, or they tried it and were immediately turned off by the new shell. Yes the UI sucks (at first), and I even had classic shell installed on all the desktops for a while, but it became very intuitive on the tablet and eventually took it off of three of the desktops. It is left on the CAD computer still, which it runs very well BTW.

Quoted:
but we just got 50 win8 licenses for free so I was asked to test it and give my recommendations , which will be to skip win8 and wait for the next one...

I'll take the Win8 licenses...
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sort of. Modern-UI apps using the new Windows Runtime API are required to be distributed through the Windows Store.    

I'm pretty sure the Enterprise version doesn't have this limitation.

There's no way in hell they'd get the bigger, enterprise-scale software companies to go along with that. Most companies selling high-end software are already paranoid about licensing to the point that in some cases, the licensing is harder to configure than the actual application.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OSX is still usable.

Windows 8 has performance improvements across the board.  And several new features that certain things a lot easier than with the options available in older versions.

The only "bad" thing people have to say about windows 8 involves metro.  Which will likely end up progressing the way the ribbon interface has.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3537710/windows-8-review

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review/page:9#articleContent

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OSX is still usable.

Windows 8 has performance improvements across the board.  And several new features that certain things a lot easier than with the options available in older versions.

The only "bad" thing people have to say about windows 8 involves metro.  Which will likely end up progressing the way the ribbon interface has.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review/page:9#articleContent

I'm told they got rid of the Backup and Restore that 7 had. If so, what have they replaced it with? The one in 7 is fantastic, since it allows you to image a running machine. It's the first backup and restore included with Windows that allows a bare-metal recovery.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
OSX is still usable.

I'm told they got rid of the Backup and Restore that 7 had. If so, what have they replaced it with? The one in 7 is fantastic, since it allows you to image a running machine. It's the first backup and restore included with Windows that allows a bare-metal recovery.

I haven't looked into it at all, but it seems that SkyDrive is their quasi-solution.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I haven't looked into it at all, but it seems that SkyDrive is their quasi-solution.

A cloud backup? That would...suck.

I need a local one. Restoring a terabyte worth of shit over an internet connection is...less than optimal.

I suppose I could just go with something third party like I had to do up until 7 was released, but this seems like a step backwards, if true. When I first saw the backup and restore in 7, I said "It's about fucking time!".
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been testing 8 for a long time now and while I dont prefer it to Win 7 on a desktop, I do think it is a great OS for tablets.  Even on a desktop I have it on I dont really miss the start button.  I rarely used the start button in Win 7 anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
OSX is still usable.

Pretty sure they haven't, they significantly improved it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/07/10/protecting-user-files-with-file-history.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/16/building-the-next-generation-file-system-for-windows-refs.aspx
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#41]

1. Create a recovery drive to be used when you need to refresh or restore your PC. You can find more about it in this blog post.

2. Connect to your Microsoft account

3. Configure your PC to sync your settings

4. Load apps from the Store

5. Turn on File History

When your PC is replaced or needs to be reinstalled:

1. Use the recovery drive to restore the operating system

3. Configure your PC to sync your settings – this will bring your settings back

4. Go to the Store and reinstall your modern apps

5. Reinstall legacy apps

6. Connect your old File History drive and restore everything – this will restore your personal files

It may require more steps than a file or image restore but has some clear benefits:

• You do not restore any "no more desired” software or settings that were on your system

• You do not restore sources of some problems that you might have (or create new problems if you restore to different hardware)

• You do not restore settings that may cause your system to perform badly or fail

This is bullshit.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No thanks.

Ever tried using Windows XP/7 with a touch screen?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

1. Create a recovery drive to be used when you need to refresh or restore your PC. You can find more about it in this blog post.
  5. Turn on File History

5. Reinstall legacy apps
  6. Connect your old File History drive and restore everything – this will restore your personal files
It may require more steps than a file or image restore but has some clear benefits:

• You do not restore any "no more desired” software or settings that were on your system
  • You do not restore sources of some problems that you might have (or create new problems if you restore to different hardware)
  • You do not restore settings that may cause your system to perform badly or fail

This is bullshit.

Those who need a full system backup can still use Windows Backup to create a system image.  Is listed below those steps you posted.

I also found this tidbit elsewhere:

Crucially, the File History system does not offer full system backup — however, people will still be able to use the old Windows Backup to do this, if they so wish.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-details-windows-8-backup-system-hoping-people-will-use-it-this-time-7000000689/

If you’re not sold on the futuristic backup and recovery features that are native to Windows 8—or perhaps you’ve just upgraded or are using a traditional PC—you can continue using the Windows 7-style Windows Backup utility and create system image backups. Microsoft really hides this interface, but here’s a trick for finding it. Using Start Search, search for recovery and then choose Windows 7 File Recovery from the Settings results list. Look familiar? It should.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-picking-backup-strategy-144428
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

XP at work but still using Vista at home
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I've never had any issues with 7, so it's staying for awhile.  I'll give 9 a look when it comes out though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If you’re not sold on the futuristic backup and recovery features that are native to Windows 8—or perhaps you’ve just upgraded or are using a traditional PC—you can continue using the Windows 7-style Windows Backup utility and create system image backups. Microsoft really hides this interface, but here’s a trick for finding it. Using Start Search, search for recovery and then choose Windows 7 File Recovery from the Settings results list. Look familiar? It should.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-picking-backup-strategy-144428

Works for me.

I can't believe they listened to their users on this. No seriously, I don't care how many of them said they weren't worried about catastrophic failures, they're fuckin' retards. Ignore them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5. Turn on File History

5. Reinstall legacy apps

This is bullshit.

Those who need a full system backup can still use Windows Backup to create a system image.  Is listed below those steps you posted.

I also found this tidbit elsewhere:

Crucially, the File History system does not offer full system backup — however, people will still be able to use the old Windows Backup to do this, if they so wish.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-details-windows-8-backup-system-hoping-people-will-use-it-this-time-7000000689/

Cool, that is really helpful!

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Works for me.  

I can't believe they listened to their users on this. No seriously, I don't care how many of them said they weren't worried about catastrophic failures, they're fuckin' retards. Ignore them.

Yeah, rather shocking only ~5% of people made use of 7's Backup/restore features.

People really are clueless.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I seriously love Windows 8. I've been using it for a month or so now and I won't go back to Windows 7. You don't have a start button as you are used to it, but the home page basically becomes the start menu with tiles for everything. The tile system is customizable for what you want to do and you have the option of clicking to the "desktop" which is exactly like the classic windows desktop except that there is no start menu. If you hover your mouse in the lower left corner you can click back to the tiles.

I've had no trouble and much more reliability under 8. And Microsoft is going to allow upgrading from any Windows OS for around $40.00 which is a huge price drop from previous versions.

As soon as the new MS Surface has been out for a while I'll be dumping my iPad to get one.

From what I'm seeing, it will be more like $70, with NewEgg and Tiger Direct offering it for $60. Still not bad and still enough to make me want to buy at least one copy, for the heck of it.

Metro looks to be a better solution for touch-enabled machines, though, and I don't have any, so I doubt I'll be much inclined to use it over 7 for the foreseeable future.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks.

Ever tried using Windows XP/7 with a touch screen?

Nobody is talking about touchscreens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top