Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 7:58:40 AM EDT
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/727923/posts

Fulfilling an obligation

But, for Duong, a former refugee from Vietnam who came to the United States in 1975 and studied science in Maryland's
       public schools and universities, it would fulfill an obligation that she had pledged to repay her whole adult life.

When she settled in Maryland 27 years ago, Duong promised herself she would fight for the principles of her adopted
       homeland. And now, if all went as planned, the BLU-118/B would slice into a tunnel in the Afghan mountains, unleash the
       chemically engineered hell that she and the rest of the country's top explosives experts had wrought, and America's
       enemies would die.

"It was different than anything we had done before," said Duong. "Not making a new explosive; we've done that. But having
       a purpose - knowing where it was going and what it was going to be used for. This was one of the proudest achievements
       of my life. Not just professionally, but personally. We were fighting a war. And it was the chance for me to give something
       back to the country that had adopted me so generously."
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
This is truly great stuff . People solving problems for the good of the country . Ya gotta love it !
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Doug Elstrodt, a 44-year-old Indian Head engineer responsible for assembling the BLU-118/B, took the phone calls from military lawyers two days before Christmas. They wanted to know just how deadly their new secret weapon was - the ingredients, the physics behind it, how long and hot it exploded.

"It's not a weapon of mass destruction or a vacuum bomb or anything like that, it's just a bomb - a big one that has been engineered to enhance the internal blast effects," Elstrodt said.

The criticism caught the Pentagon off guard. Ward and the Defense Threat Reduction Agency would issue a news release declaring that the BLU-118/B was not nearly as deadly as everyone seemed to think, and assuring that it did not violate international treaties.
View Quote

==========================================================================
Messing with the enemies mind is just part of the battle in a war. Just as Saddam Hussien messes with the mind of the USA people with his bio, nuclear weapons etc, it wouldn't hurt to put a little fear into the minds of people who are USA's enemies. But this is not just chest beating as in the case of Sadam Hussein. Truly adds a new meaning to the words "no where to run and no where to hide." Those folks got alot more warning than the people who were in the WTC/Pentagon. You reap what you sow, f'em!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I thought the term "thermobaric" was just another word for fuel-air bomb.  This is something new, and all they did was add aluminum powder.

I read about a new explosive that was developed for the US called HNIW.  It detonates at a velocity 10,000 m/sec, versus 8500 m/sec for RDX.  What if they treated that stuff like they did with HMX for the BLU-118?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top