Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2002 8:07:08 PM EDT
I was watching it earlier, and man are some of these boys and girls in for a fun time. hell I wouldn''''''''t even show my parents some of the attitude they show these drill sergents and corprals. how about the "prior service" chick, you'd think that if she were prior service she should have learned to keep he attitude in check a long time ago. plus that one guy who said "I am gonna do exactly what they tell me to do, but in my own way". and last but not least my favorite was the old timer. he thinks because he is older than the rest of them they are gonna look at him as a leader, lol. my favorite quote of his "we get to do things most people don''''t ever dream of like fire guns and wear cool clothes" news flash all of us have guns and ar to boot, and you can go buy bdu''''s at any army navy store. if this asshole thinks I am gonna look to him as a leader he''''s got another damn thing comin. loved what he said later on too "all I want is to get my colonel wings and sit in my desk in the pentagon next to the secretary of the army, and if I get generals stars well so be it". dude you aren''''t gonna make corpral before you''''ve had you fill of the army. I hate this kinda kinder gentler shit, attracts all these wothless carreerists and chicken shits. thats where bad officers come from, just like this glory hog who just wants his little birdy wings and to sit in his nice comfy office, who care if he gets everyone in his unit into the worlds biggest cluster f*ck as long as he gets his glory and his airconditioned office. [soapbox]

other than that it looks rather entertaining, I imagine it might be kinda fun to see that jerkoff push till ft jackson is about 3 ft lower [}:D].

the only thing I would have done is I would have shot it at ft benning, but no we can''t do that because we have to show how friendly the army is to the opposite sex, blah blah blah

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I watched it. Christ I hope we never go to war.

The vast majority of these dipshits have a "I'll use the ARMY to get benefits, but I'll never go to war if it happens" attitude.

I hope it improves with a real crackdown and not a bunch of candy ass bullshit.

I hope that "prior service" bitch is PT'd till she dies. Pulling that shit in front of a freshman class. Shit she should know better.

If they really GO ARMY on these idiots it should be pretty entertaining.

Who else thought the corporal was a pussy?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, I watched it. Christ I hope we never go to war.

View Quote

I agree. Those recruites were the biggest bunch of dorks I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
it would have been alot better if they would show a group going to benning. mostly infantry, and as little female distraction as humanly possible. besides infantry is where all the real hooah guys go. kinda funny I remember when I was in meps my room mate at the hotel asked me what my asvab score was, when I told him he looked at me and said do you know how many guys would kill to have your score and your going int the infantry!! but as it turns out he was a real cool guy.

you know what else I find kinda funny? that corpral saying "hamburger hill is a movie, saving private ryan is a movie that will never happen to us or atleast I hope it doesn't". what the hell does he think he is, god? he can't say that someday we won't be in just the same damn situation again one day. look at operation anaconda with the tired and exausted 10th mountain down at the top of the hill, kinda reminds me of hamburger hill, know what I mean. kindler and gentler my ass[stick], they'll think kindler and gentler when they're shits hangin out on a battle field one day because they didn't take there training seriously. I just don't know how even the dumbest person can enlist in the military with out the faintest thought they might have to go to combat one day, nor how they can come in with this "I'm gonna do this thing my way and no damn drill sergeant is gonna tell me what to do". man if you disobeyed my orders on a battle field, I would drop you in a heart beat[rail], and give your ammo to somebody who would employ it correctly.

[soapbox] I know this is the second time but man this crap enfuriates me. hope I get a better training company when I go down to benning next summer.

can't wait to see them throw they're two live grenades. [grenade]

(walks off mumbling and cursing)[pissed]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I could have sworn they said they had to run the two mile run in under 13 minutes.  I seriously doubt that a majority of people in any group could do that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't watch it (and I don't even know what you're talking about) but I don't really see what the big deal is.  These folks sound like idiots but they will never see combat.  It's the same with all the hogwash from heckworth (?) (or whoever that col. on fox is.) keeps spewing about how basic is such a joke etc.  Of course basic is a joke for people that have an MOS like COOKING or SUPPLY etc.  They won't ever see combat.  If you want to check if the real soldiers are getting trained appropriately then you need to go to Ft. Benning and watch the male only infantry training.  From the accounts I've heard it is as good as it's ever been, which means our actual [b]fighting[/b] soldiers should be well trained.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I could have sworn they said they had to run the two mile run in under 13 minutes.  I seriously doubt that a majority of people in any group could do that.
View Quote
I believe that they gave the max scores for the PT test, which is a crying shame. 78 push-ups & sit-ups? You gotta be shitting me!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]
AH1Z, are you going to Fort Benning next summer for Basic? I'm in NC too, and that's what I'm doing next summer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#8]
What are you guys discussing?  Is this some new Fox reality TV series?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
fchen yep I'm going to basic next summer, 2 day after I graduate from highschool actually.
what part of nc are you from. what mos are you going for?

marvl were talking about the several week long special thats on the history channel. it was on for the first time last night but it is suppose to be on every monday.

and for you zonan. do you have any clue how many people get bored with being and "army cook" and request transferes into other parts of the military where the is more interesting work? have any clue?  the awnser is alot. which means that these jackson trained pussies are comming into infantry units with poor basic training. which puts a stress on the infantry shcool trying to catch these untrained idiot up. which means that the more they have to hand hold them the less time they spend with the guys that really want to be there. besides the military is not just some resort for slackers if you want in you pass the standards, period.

kindler and gentler my assssssss [pissed]

I agree with hacks article 110 percent.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't watch it (and I don't even know what you're talking about) but I don't really see what the big deal is.  These folks sound like idiots but they will never see combat.  It's the same with all the hogwash from heckworth (?) (or whoever that col. on fox is.) keeps spewing about how basic is such a joke etc.  Of course basic is a joke for people that have an MOS like COOKING or SUPPLY etc.  They won't ever see combat.  If you want to check if the real soldiers are getting trained appropriately then you need to go to Ft. Benning and watch the male only infantry training.  From the accounts I've heard it is as good as it's ever been, which means our actual [b]fighting[/b] soldiers should be well trained.
View Quote

I was under the impression that you underwent the same basic training regardless of MOS. If that is not the case then that is truly fucked up. The reason they teach everyone the "basics" is because they could realistically need it one day.

marvl, "Basic Training" on the History Channel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
do you have any clue how many people get bored with being and "army cook" and request transferes into other parts of the military where the is more interesting work? have any clue?
View Quote

No, I don't.  And from the sounds of it ("A lot") neither do you.  I want numbers because I don't believe that it would be very many.  You did bring up a good point though.  I did overlook that some people would transfer in from other MOS.

Quoted:
I was under the impression that you underwent the same basic training regardless of MOS.
View Quote

Nope.  For every combat arms MOS the basic is much more intense.  I know for infantry they combine basic with AIT at one station (infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning).  I think it is the same for other combat arms MOS.  In my opinion, standard basic will always be weak until they quit training males and females together.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to MCRD.
Some friends in the guard went to army basic.
They said it was a joke, I never knew what a joke it was.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Part one just ended a few minutes ago (10 PM Alabama time).  Part 2 is up next on the History Channel.

In 1983 as an infantryman I went through Ft Jackson for Reception - 3 weeks total before being bussed over to Benning for OSUT.

Man o man have things changed.  

Even at Jackson it was "military".  Lots of pushups and lots of attitude adjustment.  3 AM formations and looooooong days getting issue, shots, paperwork, haircuts, basic military courtesy and drill and ceremonies.

I don't care if this IS for support MOS's, this is absolute BS.

But highly entertaining watching the boyz and girlz nonetheless. :>

And, the sense of restraint that these Drills are showing is absolutely spectacular.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Just watched it.

Confirmed every suspicion I had of the US Army's basic training.

What a joke.  To bad, because it is not even the slightest bit humorous.  I pray to God our enemies are unable to view it.  I also pray that someone in a position to make the needed changes does so right now.

There is no further question in my mind as to why the American citizenry holds the Marine Corps in such high regard.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What a joke.
View Quote

That goes double for the new recruits shown.  No respect and that 23 year old white guy was a moron.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Initial requirement for BT for females:

3 push ups.

Now seriously, if you CANNOT do 3 push ups why in the hell would you even think about joining the army.

The other minimum requirements for females and males were just as absurd. I just can't remember them right now because the 3 PUSH UP requirement snapped my brain.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
As someone who is/has been considering the military I was interested in this show.  

I have to admit, its not how I pictured basic at all.  The whole thing seemed more like a juvenile detention center, but maybe reception week is supposed to be like that.  Remeber the 'amnesty room' where the sgt said they could discard cocaine and he wouldn't care??  And here I am paranoid about having used a little mj in college...[rolleyes]

The bad attitudes really suprised me as well. Nobody forced them to go into the Army, they chose it, so why behave like you don't want to be there?  

I'm 27 with a degree so the recruit closest to my demographic was the 23 year old college grad.  
and last but not least my favorite was the old timer. he thinks because he is older than the rest of them they are gonna look at him as a leader, lol. my favorite quote of his "we get to do things most people don''''t ever dream of like fire guns and wear cool clothes" news flash all of us have guns and ar to boot, and you can go buy bdu''''s at any army navy store. if this asshole thinks I am gonna look to him as a leader he''''s got another damn thing comin.
View Quote

I got a laugh when he said that too.  I've put thousands of rounds through my Garand, AR15, and .22's and didn't have to enlist to do it.  On the age and "leadership" issue, being older won't make you march, run, shoot, or lead any better.  That 23 year old is just as new to military life as those 18 year olds.  If he were prior service that would be another story.  

If anything I'd want to keep my age and education under wraps if possible.  The last thing you want to do in basic, that I've been told, is stick out.  Plus, a degree makes you an instant e-4 spec, and theres no way that e-4 corporal is gonna be accepting of that.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I watched both episodes and was completely shocked at the tepid responses to the blatant insuboordination. Of course these kids are still in processing and haven't met their DIs yet.

I fear for our nation if this is what I have "protecting" me and my rights.

Maybe all this Molon Labe fuss is for naught and I should just go down to the local FBI office and surrender myself as a future dissadent under the forthcoming Pre-Crime Act, which is of course, retroactive.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#22]
History channel picked up the series from MTV..it was originally called (Real World Fort Jackson): Sex in the barracks!

Or (Real World Fort Jackson): Camp Poontang

Hackworth was right...the Army is for killing/training first, everything else comes second.

Pandora would be proud,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting show.  I watched it with my 18 year old who expressed some interest in the military.  He said "heck dad, that's not much different than being in our boy scout troop".

Frankly, those people portrayed are pretty typical of that age group. We were all pretty goofy at that age and few of use had a clue or knew what we wanted to do. For many, it is the first time away from home and regardless of what the induction process was, they still have to go through basic training which ain't no picnic.

On the other hand, I can't understand why they allow women. What a bunch of wussies. The one chick joined the army because she was having a bad morning at work and saw a recruiter at lunch. It's like the movies Private Benjamin or Stripes.

I wonder home many woman, or men for that matter, would have skidaddled if one of those Sgts would have said "How many of you are willing to pick up a rifle right now and die for your country?, if you ain't, get the Fu*k out right now!"

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn, this hurts to say, but...I really think that the majority of young people going into the service seem like dorks.  I am not one to look down on people.  I hated clicks in high school. I also never picked on anyone and stopped those I saw doing it, but man all those kids seemed a little strange.  It just seems all the recruits I see going into the service would have a very hard time fitting into the wordly social scene outside of what the military can offer....either that or they would have ended up in jail.    Sorry if I have offended anyone. I support every man/woman in uniform, I just hate to see these types of tv shows that always seem to focus on the strange.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I caught it last night.  Wanted to slug that one girl that kept mouthing off and stuff...I'm prior service, blah blah...you should know better...blah blah...

Oh well...probably watch a few more shows but think the History Channel finally has a dud on its hands...Mail Call on the other hand I love more than Tales of the Gun and Great Blunders in History put together...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
My brother is in 3rd Sig at Ft. Hood.  He said that basic is different depending on what base you go to for it.  Ft. Jackson is nicknamed Relaxin' Jackson.  He went to Ft. Knox aka Ft. Hard Knox and is quite happy about it.  I understand in addidtion to Ft. Benning, Ft. Knox also is the infantry and tanker basic training.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
this show is nothing but a 30min commercial for the Marine Corps. that one idiot who said "full metal jacket...just a movie" what the fuck does he know. he's in the army. the only thing from full metal jacket that was fake was the choking scene. blanket parties really went down back in the day but not anymore. the stress starts immediately on PI. as soon as the bus door opens it's on.

that show was like a car wreck. terrible and revolting yet i couldnt look away
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't forget, that episode they are only at reception!!

The real fun doesn't start until you load your crap into your duffle bag and ride the bus to where you will be for the next 8 weeks.

The first morning after they are with their Basic Training DI's will be fun. An abrupt morning wakeup and their first PT...

edited to add, hopefully the DI's will start in on them hard!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top