Posted: 10/17/2012 4:47:54 AM EDT
Williston ND

Supply and demand working at its best
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Williston ND

Supply and demand working at its best

I read an article where McDonalds was offering a signing bonus.

Guess nobody wants to work at McDonalds or Walmart when there's oil jobs available.

Can't say I blame em. Not much of a fortune to be made as a door greeter.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, but it's in fucking Williston, ND. Ain't shit there anymore but hookers, strippers and oil workers.....not a fucking house or apartment to be had. Even used trailers are going for double their original retail price at times.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
$17 an hour is respectable money. I would rather work there than be on the Govt teet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]
$17 a hour is not much considering the cost of living up there
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
We had the same thing here in Western Colorado a few years back.  $1500 signing bonuses for fast food places was common.  Enjoy it while it lasts.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the cost of living and housing situation there though? It has to be good enough to make it worthwhile for someone to move from their $8 hr Wal Mart job.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the cost of living and housing situation there though? It has to be good enough to make it worthwhile for someone to move from their $8 hr Wal Mart job.

come on asking facts in my OP

cheapest rental is $2500 a month

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Shows how far you are behind times.

I haven't seen a door greeter in months...and this is a sample from at least 4 different WalMarts.  I think they did away with that position, and nobody checks receipts anymore either.

This has been my experience at least.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Wal-mart actually pays rather well by comparison to other retail outlets. Their ass is in the spot light so much for human right abuses so they've been trying to clean up their image.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]
More than I make per hour. But $2500/mo for rent is just plain retarted.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, but it's in fucking Williston, ND. Ain't shit there anymore but hookers, strippers and oil workers.....not a fucking house or apartment to be had. Even used trailers are going for double their original retail price at times.

Truth.  My good in-laws live in Sidney, MT.

Sidney has had to open their fairgrounds for people to camp because infrastructure can't keep pace with population growth.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I flew some guys up there in a King Air last month and spent the day. I walked from airport to Walmart to get a Subway sammich which was inside. The parking lot was literally full of vehicles, mostly pickups with plates from almost every state. There was a constant stream of people in and out of Walmart. It looked like most Walmarts on a Black Friday during the run on Christmas shopping. I got there a little after 11:00 AM. When I finished my sammich there were about 25 people in line at Subway.

All hotels are full and there is no housing available. If you go up there you will need a travel trailer or tent.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wal-mart actually pays rather well by comparison to other retail outlets. Their ass is in the spot light so much for human right abuses so they've been trying to clean up their image.  

proof please
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

More than I make per hour. But $2500/mo for rent is just plain retarted.

This.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So what you're saying is... fuck WalMart, find some land to develop?
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is... fuck WalMart, find some land to develop?

That's one way, but you best get moving!

Last year, when Minot flooded, it was fucking bad. I mean bad, bad! The lower areas near the river became virtually unihabitable and all the available housing was essentially already gone. My own mother mover out of her FEMA trailer last month. The flood happened in June last year and she just found a place.

Where I used to live, northeast of Williston in Crosby, ND, they had a program to encourage people to move there, free land, a house, bonuses.....just bring a warm body! Not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the job, use the money to buy a used RV, and live in your employer's parking lot for free - right next to all the other snowbirds....
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

im listening...
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im listening...

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen a door greeter in months...and this is a sample from at least 4 different WalMarts.  I think they did away with that position, and nobody checks receipts anymore either.

This has been my experience at least.

They still have this old hag at my Walmart. She stopped me last week to check my receipt to make sure I paid for my dog food. A month of two before that, it was my kids diapers.

It wouldn't be so bad, but I buy the cheapest diapers and Ol' Roy dog food.

If I was gonna steal the shit, I'd at least go for the name brand stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

proof please

Anecdotal evidence from working retail and associating myself with people that work retail. It's obviously going to vary by location.  Everyone I know that works or has worked at wal-mart wasn't mad about pay. They were mad that the managers were assholes. I go to class with a guy that works backroom and he get's a $.35 raise every year. The wegmans here gives a $.50 raise every six months. It's probably capped relatively low, but it's still the god tier store for people that work retail. Everyone that works elsewhere wants to work there, and everyone that works there loves it. Target provides a sub par base salary and sub par raises compared to the competition (we're talking raises as low as a nickle, and <10 cents is common for employees that do a good job). In fact wal-mart actually has better benefits than target does too:

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart_target_better/ (yeah it's some hippy website, but it's true)

Target has just been doing great ass marketing to give the public the perception that they're a more socially responsible company, and honestly they do have a lot of initiatives to ensure employee health and wellness, but when it comes down to the brass tacks of pay and benefits, they pay most of their employees less than their competitors do.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife and her family are from sidney. Her dad has offices in Sidney and Watford. He hires people, they work for 2 weeks, then quit because someone else offered them raises. Its not just walmart, its dairy queen, mcdonalds, gas station attendants.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pics or you speak the baloney

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wife and her family are from sidney. Her dad has offices in Sidney and Watford. He hires people, they work for 2 weeks, then quit because someone else offered them raises. Its not just walmart, its dairy queen, mcdonalds, gas station attendants.

Exactly.  My FIL in Sidney just shut down his processing plant to do water wells and housing.  He simply couldn't find people to work for what he could pay.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$17 an hour is respectable money. I would rather work there than be on the Govt teet.

In Williston, that wage is almost comparable to a couple bucks above min wage in a major city.

It aint shit when floorhands are making $26-$28 starting and guarenteed 44 hours of OT a week.

So for that amount Id rather not waste my time and deal with shitheads working at Mcdon's YMMV
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Good luck living out of a travel trailer during a ND winter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a store in western Oklahoma that is offering a $10k sign on bonus for anyone willing to transfer there as an assistant manager.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top