Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2002 3:46:00 PM EDT
I recently rented a car from Thrifty.  The guy at the counter very specifically said.  If you go out of the neighboring states, no more unlimited mileage and its 150 miles per day.  How in the hell would they know where I went. Do they lokack each car? Or do they have cell phone transmitters that check in?  It seems to be an invasion of privacy. Also if they dont really want it to be unlimited why dont just say so.  I looked for anything out of the ordinary very carefully, but no wiring or anything weird.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
In the meantime I wouldn't rent from those bums anymore.

Maybe you're on the honor system?

Unless you saw a GPS antenna somewhere then there would be no way of them knowing.  Unless you got a parking ticket.  In which you could just send the payment in before they send out a copy of the ticket.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They track by satalite. Some have even issued speeding tickets.

Big Brother is watching [peep]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It ain't your car bro, it's theirs.  They can dictate the terms of your rental.  If you don't like the terms in the rental agreement, go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to keep an eye on that. I travel about 2 weeks a month and alot of times traveling between states. But I guess that the travel agent that we use, should know this. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Nice to know, though.

Jamie
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Why am I not seeing the original post when I select a topic? All I get is the answers to the post.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't discuss proprietary business in rental cars - some have been discovered to be bugged for conversation.  No tin foil hats here, just fact.
View Quote

Can you elaborate on this?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't discuss proprietary business in rental cars - some have been discovered to be bugged for conversation.  No tin foil hats here, just fact.
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, that means when you pick up a hooker ask her how much while you're standing outside the car with the windows rolled down.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, that means when you pick up a hooker ask her how much while you're standing outside the car with the windows rolled down.
View Quote

Pull that recording crap on me and my $$$$'s go elsewhere.

I believe you have a right to privacy when renting a car, at least voice privacy.  Just as you would expect when you're renting a hotel room.  Motel 6 got busted years ago for peep holes in the walls.  

The only bugs I know of are rumored to be at the brothel and on my phone line.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Thirft boned me big time on a rental, they charged me about 100.00 bucks for a PEC, charge. I told them I wanted no insurence, mine handles rentals, when I returned the car they slaped this on , and I was in a hurry at the airport. Personal Effects Charge, just a warning to fellow members.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top