[#1]
How's his wrist?
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

He just learned the hard way why this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/RichP1269/17312_1854-1.jpg

is a two handed drill.

When we show people how to use those...well let me guess, he let go while operating it and didn't move?

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Took him for a ride didn't it.  Couldn't get his bugger hook off the go switch either could he.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How's his wrist?

Probably broken.  He's at the urgent care clinic now.

He was warned about what would happen if he didn't use two hands.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That's why I'm glad we do work on steel, turn the magnet on and it's not going anywhere.

I have seen some guys doing work behind us with one of those take the handle right to the face however.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How's his wrist?

Probably broken.  He's at the urgent care clinic now.

He was warned about what would happen if he didn't use two hands.

Pics of the hot new girl???
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I took a ride on a 12" concrete hole saw after it lost suction

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Torque is a bitch
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Torque is your friend, or in this case, the enemy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Took him for a ride didn't it.  Couldn't get his bugger hook off the go switch either could he.

Fuckin' Milwaukee drills are really slow to spin down after you DO get off the switch.  

Yep.  Damn good drills unless you do something stupid with it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Seen a guy break his wrist and get thrown off an extension ladder while using a hole hawg
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Torque is a bitch

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]

An old friend who is an exterminator almost got killed by one of those.  He was drilling a concrete patio so he could squirt the termite poison through the holes, and his concrete bit stuck.  It spun him sideways through a closed patio door.  The glass shattered in such a way that he fell backwards across a horizontal "blade" that just about cut one of his ass checks clear off.

He was struggling with holding everything together when the maid came to investigate the noise and she yelled "Lawdy, you done cut your ass off !!".  

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Ouch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Watched a co-worker who was all of ~100lbs take a spiny ride on one trying to enlarge a hole in a steel floor channel cover.  He was using both hands and leaning on it.  

Torque is a cruel mistress.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

An old friend who is an exterminator almost got killed by one of those.  He was drilling a concrete patio so he could squirt the termite poison through the holes, and his concrete bit stuck.  It spun him sideways through a closed patio door.  The glass shattered in such a way that he fell backwards across a horizontal "blade" that just about cut one of his ass checks clear off.

He was struggling with holding everything together when the maid came to investigate the noise and she yelled "Lawdy, you done cut your ass off !!".  

Damn.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#20]
was he young?

I'm told by my children and the youth on Arfcom that the YOUNG know far better than the ,tired out. has been, tried and true in their method of doing things
and we should just GTFOOTW

hope it's only a sprain..poor stupid kid
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Zing!
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

was he young?

I'm told by my children and the youth on Arfcom that the YOUNG know far better than the ,tired out. has been, tried and true in their method of doing things

and we should just GTFOOTW
hope it's only a sprain..poor stupid kid

He's in his early 20's.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seen a guy break his wrist and get thrown off an extension ladder while using a hole hawg

That was you in the bushes??  

LOL. I learned an important lesson that day. Do not climb to the top of an extension ladder with a 4" hole saw on a hole hawg. Do not use one hand to stabilize myself and go after it with the hole saw

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I feel his pain lol. I got knocked out by a grinder while under a car once lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Had an electrican with LONG hair not put it up in a pony tail once.

I'm thinking he never made that mistake again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I went on a perpendicular helicopter ride on one of those once. Was honing kingpin bushings for some sort of big-rig truck and the stones on the hone hung up.
First thing my boss said to me was ' do you feel any compensation setting in ? '

Young and dumb....

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So he's a half assed exterminator now?

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

How's his wrist?

That was the first thing to pop into my head.

Those drills are a motherfucker if they get stuck.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got thrown off of a ladder by a Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter 1/2" drill while using a 1" spade bit in a wood post.  They be POWERFUL!  <throws head back in the best Tim The Toolman style and goes "ARR, ARR, ARR, ARR>

Is his wrist broken or just sprained?

I was very nearly thrown off a roof, drilling holes for an antenae mast, with a drill like that. Hangin' on for dear life, I was.

It's amazing how people just don't listen. In a machine shop, sometimes you smack things down in the vice with a dead blow mallet. For some unknown reason, people feel the need to put their hand on the workpiece they're hitting. It serves absolutely no purpose, save for the occasional time when the hammer glances off something on the head of the machine and OBLITERATES a thumb or finger. I've seen blood squirt five feet away.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Drilling holes in a hardwood stage floor to secure some lighting trres and the bit stuck.
Spun out of my hands and whacked the guy kneeling next to me right in the ribs.

Those things remind me of how the 455 in my Olds would try to flip the car over sideways when you revved it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#33]
He got lucky.  Word is it's just a bad sprain.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw the aftermath of a guy getting his hair caught in a gang shaft powered by a 600 HP DC motor while trying to grease the bearing blocks without tuning the unit off.  The shaft was mounted about 16" from the wall and 24" off the floor....It repeatedly threaded him between the wall and floor at 1200 PRM

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Dad had 1/2" Milwaukee drill similar to that. He always told us to use both hands and turn loose if the drill gets stuck. The problem is I am left handed. I was drilling a hole for running wire and the bit dug in. I turned loose of the drill, but the damn thing kept running, spinning the drill body, wrapping the cord around the body. It finally pulled the cord out of the plug.

Holding the drill handle with my left hand, I had accidentally hit the trigger lock and that's why the drill kept running.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dad had 1/2" Milwaukee drill similar to that. He always told us to use both hands and turn loose if the drill gets stuck. The problem is I am left handed. I was drilling a hole for running wire and the bit dug in. I turned loose of the drill, but the damn thing kept running, spinning the drill body, wrapping the cord around the body. It finally pulled the cord out of the plug.

Holding the drill handle with my left hand, I had accidentally hit the trigger lock and that's why the drill kept running.

These days they've "fixed" that by making the lock button below flush.  Now it's a PITA to engage, thanks to you left-handed freaks.  

ETA: Nice to know they fixed it. Those damn drills can be some mean bastards when they get away from you.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's why I'm glad we do work on steel, turn the magnet on and it's not going anywhere.

I have seen some guys doing work behind us with one of those take the handle right to the face however.

I saw a guy at work using an electric mag drill to bore some overhead holes. One guy walks up to the welding machine that it was plugged into, and shut it off to let him know it was lunch time. As soon as it lost power, the magnet released and the drill came down and fell on the guys chest. Didn't injure him, but it did knock the wind out of him.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I twisted my left hand with my Milwaukee 1/2 angle drill back in late May. I was using a 4" hole saw and it grabbed. My finger is still fucked up. I think I might have broken it but it seems to work OK,just a little painful.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#40]
always loved the way the big v8's from the 60's and 70's lloked like they were going to rip right out of the engine mounts when you gunned them.
plus the whole car would shift to one side because of the torque.

I remember watching my neighbors wife grab on to a post hole digger and squeeze the throttle...spun her around 3 or 4 times before she was flung off...
I never laughed so hard in my life (she only hurt her pride)

Quoted:
Drilling holes in a hardwood stage floor to secure some lighting trres and the bit stuck.
Spun out of my hands and whacked the guy kneeling next to me right in the ribs.

Those things remind me of how the 455 in my Olds would try to flip the car over sideways when you revved it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#41]
The good old Hole Hawg. Catch a nail and go for a ride.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#42]
i would hold on to the second handle and brace it against the back of my boot when drilling 3 inch test holes in concrete. GET IT!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#43]
U can get away with using them one handed sometimes if you use your knee as a brace but then you risk getting whacked in the nuts  I'll stick to using both hands thanks

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lost
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I saw a guy at work using an electric mag drill to bore some overhead holes. One guy walks up to the welding machine that it was plugged into, and shut it off to let him know it was lunch time. As soon as it lost power, the magnet released and the drill came down and fell on the guys chest. Didn't injure him, but it did knock the wind out of him.

There is a shop near hear that builds workover rigs and pulling units. They run a lot of mag drills, and one day the power went out. Foreman said the sound of money smashing into the concrete echoed for a while.

ETA: It was pretty obvious who hadn't been using their safety chains.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' Milwaukee drills are really slow to spin down after you DO get off the switch.  

Yup. My thumb is still a little sore from a Milwaukee drill getting away from me a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#47]
D'oh!
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a shop near hear that builds workover rigs and pulling units. They run a lot of mag drills, and one day the power went out. Foreman said the sound of money smashing into the concrete echoed for a while.

ETA: It was pretty obvious who hadn't been using their safety chains.

Chains do serve a purpose. USE THEM.

I had a 3/8 drive angle drill smack me pretty hard, drilling through a hickory shovel handle, and caught the remainder of a screw I didn't know was there. Angle drills do not give you much to hold onto. Why was I using our angle drill? Because the boss stole our cordless and our regular corded drills to use at home.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The good old Hole Hawg. Catch a nail and go for a ride.

http://i.imgur.com/d9M0t.jpg
That looks like something that an 8ft psycho in a hobgoblin mask would kill people with, in a 1980s 'video nasty'.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top