Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2002 5:51:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
When you bring a vehicle to a stop the momentum causes the springs in the suspension to tension. Once the vehicle actually stops forward momentum the body of the vehicle will then rebound backwards as the springs decompress. If you did not feel that backward motion and the officer did not see that backward motion then you did not stop and your wheels were still rolling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the time the reason you see the po po in the quiet subdivision is that soccer mom or moms has been complaining about the safety of her kids. Most cops don't want to run traffic in the quiet additions. At the same time it's hard to explain violations to the judge in a residential area. Pay the fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I will fight it...and I will lose.

no big deal, just needed to vent.

becuase he pulled me over in my own driveway just pissed me off.  otherwise it would just be another ticket.
View Quote

I got pulled over in March for having an expired registration sticker as I pulled out of my driveway on a day I was running really late for work.  I backed out, met the officer before the stop sign at the end of my street, and he turned his lights on.  I had the new sticker with me, I just hadn't put it in because my windshield is badly cracked and was trying to get my insurance company to handle it before I put the sticker on and they were stalling.  He gave me a warning, but it sure put a damper on my day, especially since my dues go to pay the county for this guy and I watch speeders and young kids burning rubber, going really fast in the neighborhood, and running stop signs completely.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most of the time the reason you see the po po in the quiet subdivision is that soccer mom or moms has been complaining about the safety of her kids. Most cops don't want to run traffic in the quiet additions. At the same time it's hard to explain violations to the judge in a residential area. Pay the fine.
View Quote

Yup...that's it.  Pay the fine and obey the law and the lawdogs will leave you alone.

Gotta piss you off they nabbed you in your own driveway though...[pissed]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#9]
don't tell me you've never practiced stopping so that you don't get that roll back?!?

and fwiw, you DON'T have to have the roll back to have actually stopped. the roll back is a REACTION to the ACTION of stopping.  ergo, one can stop and then go before the roll back ensues.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When you bring a vehicle to a stop the momentum causes the springs in the suspension to tension. Once the vehicle actually stops forward momentum the body of the vehicle will then rebound backwards as the springs decompress. If you did not feel that backward motion and the officer did not see that backward motion then you did not stop and your wheels were still rolling.
View Quote

Backward motion, eh? I might have done that when I first started driving, but since then I've learned how to use my brakes. You're saying I could get a ticket if I don't make my car bounce?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Why else would low riders want to hop at a stop sign while going through it?

Been given some warnings in my driveway and I do hate that.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2002 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View Quote

Not true.  Watch a professional driver come to a stop.  A trained chauffeur will stop by easing INTO the brakes and OUT OF the brakes at a stop.  Something called "zero negative G" stops.  Vehicle doesn't rock back on its suspension.

Smooth driving technique.

Years (decades) ago when I drove in competition one of the car owners paid for the drivers to take a chauffeur course.  We didn't lose time on the track but extended brake life on the cars.

My point is it's easy to stop, even relatively quickly, without rocking the suspension.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I pulled into our sub-division and at the end of our cul-de-sac there is a stop sign.  Johnny-officer was sitting in front of my house and flashed his lights as i was opening my garage door.  Gave me a ticket for not making a complete stop inside the subdivision.

now im not bashing him, becuase he is trying to do something in this quiet little town, but WTF?  I didnt roll through that stop sign either, maybe not a complete 3 second count but sure as hell didnt run it.

you should have seen the look on his face when I told him I was armed.  he said "you have arms?"  he was about 21 yrs old I think.
View Quote

LostWildCat: I'm moving to your neighborhood. If the cops can sit at stop signs at the end of a cul-de-sac, you obviously have absolutely no other crime in your area.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A trained chauffeur will stop by easing INTO the brakes and OUT OF the brakes at a stop.  Something called "zero negative G" stops.  
View Quote

I had a womanz many years ago who learned this in school bus driver school. I guess they dont want those little heads rocking back and forth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top