Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2012 6:18:40 AM EDT
Looks like for the third time in the last five years shingles has reared it's ugly head. I refused the steroids this time as prednisone really fucks me up. The hydrocodone the Dr. prescribed me is kicking in. I'm not in "fo" condition yet but I better stay away from the gun and car sites today or I might buy something I don't need.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You need an anti viral like Valtrex or Acyclovir.  Go ask your doc.  

What you have now is a pain med.  An anti viral will help beat the flare up into submission.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Herpes wins again.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What you have now is a pain med.  An anti viral will help beat the flare up into submission.  

I'm on Valtrex also. The last time I had this the Dr. prescribed Valtrex, Prednisone and nothing for the pain. This time Valtrex and pain meds just no steroids.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on Valtrex also. The last time I had this the Dr. prescribed Valtrex, Prednisone and nothing for the pain. This time Valtrex and pain meds just no steroids.

Well that's good. I got oxycodone (back pain With shingles on top. Oh joy.) Took her too long to figure out it was shingles so I just stuck with it... for 3 fucking months. Hopefully I'm one and done.

Do you have any scarring? I have a purplish spot on my lower back.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's good. I got oxycodone (back pain With shingles on top. Oh joy.) Took her too long to figure out it was shingles so I just stuck with it... for 3 fucking months. Hopefully I'm one and done.

Do you have any scarring? I have a purplish spot on my lower back.

No scars but I have nerve sensitivity in the affected areas that has never subsided.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are they presenting?

Have you seen an oncologist?

Has your doc discussed it with you?
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nerve that runs from back, under the arm pit and on the chest.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to be an alarmist and I'm not an MD.  However, you may want a second opinion as onset of shingles, particularly on the trunk, can be a symptom of cancer. Note I said Can Be.

I've got shingles that present in my eyes. I've had it since I was a boy. Hardly ever break out, nowdays, but when I get stressed for an extended period, it flares up. Painful as hell.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck shingles in its goat ass.

I get that shit on my face from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the vaccine for shingles that is advertised on TV work?

Well at least once the flair up is over.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
shingles are a fucking nogo bro
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, they suck hard.  I've only have one bout with them and that was over 12 years ago when I was in college.  Famvir made short work of them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, painful indeed.
I'm 56 now but at age 23 I got them (thank God that was the only time).
Front of my sternum down the lower ends of my rib cage around to my back.
Painful as hell.
I was prescribed pills for muscle relaxers and pain killers.
Took about a month but it went away and hasn't reappeared since.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
As a guy who watched my Dad and my brother suffer greatly with shingles all I can say is go get the shot.  Especially if you are over 60 years old.  My insurance paid for the whole thing, but I would paid for it out of pocket if I had too.  Shingles damn near killed my brother it was horrible and I sure as hell don't want to battle it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
You could try http://www.qutenza.com/

Disclaimer: I do work for the company that makes Qutenza.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The lowest age to get the Shingles vaccine is now 55.
Got mine last week.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I was told when I got it that once you get it, you're done. I had it 20 years ago and haven't had any problems since.

It wasn't fun, I had it on my neck, back of my head and cheek.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]
You can get it more than once.

My only case was last spring, it was VERY mild. I was able to ignore the itching for the most part, no pain. Took the anti-viral and that was that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Shingles does suck.

I have scars over 35 years later.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Looks like for the third time in the last five years shingles has reared it's ugly head. I refused the steroids this time as prednisone really fucks me up. The hydrocodone the Dr. prescribed me is kicking in. I'm not in "fo" condition yet but I better stay away from the gun and car sites today or I might buy something I don't need.

If the hydro makes you sleepy, you have taken enough.  Sleep is your only friend.  If you are shopping online, you aren't in pain.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you are shopping online, you aren't in pain.

Derp.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#22]
You can get them more than once. I contracted shingles two years ago. I delayed seeking treatment because I thought it was poison ivy from a camping trip. Wound up on Valtrex and Tylenol #2. Probably developed postherpetic neuralgia (that's the prolonged nerve damage you referred to, OP) because of the delay in treatment and had to take a series of anti-depression meds commonly prescribed to treat postherpetic neuralgia. I still have residual nerve damage like you, OP, on my left shoulder blade area.

My doc recommended the vaccine even though I'm younger than 55 because I have a chronic immune system condition (MS) and he felt I was at risk for a recurrence. I got the shot and no shingles since then, knock on wood. If you're getting repeat visits in such a short time, it might not hurt to discuss the condition of your immune system and/or anything that could be wearing you down....you might be a candidate for the vaccine as well, even if you're younger than 55.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I had them when I was 9 years old it was a pain. The doctor gave me codine for the pain and it didn't help at all. I was up for 4 days straight before I passed out from exhaustion. I had it on my ribs and spine. Everyone thought it was wierd I got them so early.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
"Hurray for herpes!"

"You down with the Herp?"
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I had them when I was 9 years old it was a pain. Everyone thought it was wierd I got them so early.

I was about six or so. My chest looked like hamburger, and I still have what look like burn scars.

Had a slight case in my early 20s, but that was very minor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I had it on the right side of my head 4 years ago, it really sucked.  I was out of work for 2 weeks, taking the 1000 mg Valtrex.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Ouch, any of you with recurring shingles have SLE?

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Why is everyone posting about Herpes?  I thought (From reading the magazine ads) that shingles was from the chicken pox virus.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Why is everyone posting about Herpes?  I thought (From reading the magazine ads) that shingles was from the chicken pox virus.

Varicella zoster virus (VZV) is one of eight herpes viruses known to infect humans and other vertebrates. It commonly causes chicken-pox in children and adults and herpes zoster (shingles) in adults and rarely in children.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#30]
shingles are a bitch.... broad came to work with an outbreak two weeks later I learned I never had chicken pox

sucks when your 30 and have chicken pox, kind of ruined my bad boy rep

you need a viral to kill that shit man
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, yes they do. I had them over Christmas break in 9th grade.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got it on my side right now.

Very mild case compared to what you all have described.

The Acyclovir stuff seems to be working.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where mine were.  Right arm pit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I've never had chickenpox..
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The family Herpesviridae contains several delightful viruses which infect humans:  Herpes Simplex 1 (primarily cold sores), Herpes Simplex 2 (primarily genital herpes), Epstein-Barr (mononucleosis), Cytomegalovirus, and Varicella-Zoster virus (chickenpox/shingles).

There's also Herpes Virus B, which normally infects monkeys but has about a 90% kill rate in humans.

The drugs acyclovir (Zovirax) and valcyclovir (Valtrex) work to some degree against all types of herpesviruses by inhibiting viral replication.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Never had them but guess I am looking fwd to them
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The family Herpesviridae contains several delightful viruses which infect humans:  Herpes Simplex 1 (primarily cold sores), Herpes Simplex 2 (primarily genital herpes), Epstein-Barr (mononucleosis), Cytomegalovirus, and Varicella-Zoster virus (chickenpox/shingles).

There's also Herpes Virus B, which normally infects monkeys but has about a 90% kill rate in humans.

The drugs acyclovir (Zovirax) and valcyclovir (Valtrex) work to some degree against all types of herpesviruses by inhibiting viral replication.

Wow, lots of good times there for one virus family...
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, lots of good times there for one virus family...

Reunions are a blast.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Been there done that!
I had them set in on my left shoulder blade and follow the nerves down my left arm to my hand.
Nohing like having a few hundred little burning blisters up and down your arm!
I could tell where every little godamn blister was even before it showed.
Still have residual nerve damage in my left arm, ringfinger and pinkey finger...
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I got it one time from my balls all the way around my waist to my ass crack on the left side of my body. At the time I assumed it was just an allergic reaction to some new laundry detergent but afterwards I figured out what it was. Before it happened I had a headache for about a month that the doctors couldn't figure out why I had it. The headache started off real light but just got worse and worse until I ended up in the emergency room because it hurt so bad.

Since it happened I've talked to a few people that have had the same thing happen to them, a month long headache followed by getting shingles.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Buddy of mine got them, some kind of atypical presentation.   He was in an assload of intermittent pain for almost 2 or 3  years.  I feel for you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I got them at 23 due to getting Ecoli from Taco Bell. Projectile vomiting, anal leakage, 102 degree fever, itching, burning, oozing, and horrible pain that felt so deep it could have been in my lung.

Fuck Taco Bell. They offered me a free meal card though.

I now save receipts from when ever I eat out for 48 hours. Had I kept the receipt I'd probably still be living off lawsuit money.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I am almost over my first bout with the Shingles..needless to say I Fucking HOPE I never get them again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Go get Valtrex and stop eating nuts, seeds and legumes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:34:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Get liquid vitamin E, rub it on the rash twice a day and start taking it internally every day as well. Be prepared when you put it on the rash tho, burns like a mofo. It should be gone in about 2 weeks. A bunch of old timers told my father this a long time ago and it worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it one time from my balls all the way around my waist to my ass crack on the left side of my body. At the time I assumed it was just an allergic reaction to some new laundry detergent but afterwards I figured out what it was. Before it happened I had a headache for about a month that the doctors couldn't figure out why I had it. The headache started off real light but just got worse and worse until I ended up in the emergency room because it hurt so bad.

Since it happened I've talked to a few people that have had the same thing happen to them, a month long headache followed by getting shingles.

I made the same assumption the one and only time (knock on wood) I had shingles. The blisters went from the center of my chest, up over my right shoulder and down over my right shoulder blade. I have scars but no nerve sensitivity or residual pain, so I'll not bitch about the scars.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Forgot to add: As far as I know, I never had chickenpox, and my mother (88) doesn't remember if I had them or not, but my doc insists I must have had them if I got shingles. I must  have had them as an infant or toddler.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my father's collegues did one of the 1st mortuary studies on the "herpes" family of viruses back in the 70s; she found that about 80% of the cadavers had contracted "herpes" sometime during their lives.  

Herpes: its for everyone!
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#50]
i know this is a stupid question but:

how do you know the difference between acne on your back and shingles?

i was looking at pictures and would like to know

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top