Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2012 11:53:15 AM EDT
You'll loan me $340K to refi my house but you won't cash a $5 rebate check because I don't have a checking account with you.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol, seriously?

You've got a $340k loan with them and they are giving you grief over a $5 check?

I would have been speaking with the manager within seconds

Speed

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is that logic stupid? If your $5 check bounces, they can't take your house as collateral or add the amount to your mortgage.

I'll never understand the "I tried to cash a check a bank where I don't have a checking/savings account and they wouldn't let me" threads. Why not just go to the bank that has your checking account to begin with?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why is that logic stupid? If your $5 check bounces, they can't take your house as collateral or add the amount to your mortgage.
I'll never understand the "I tried to cash a check a bank where I don't have a checking/savings account and they wouldn't let me" threads. Why not just go to the bank that has your checking account to begin with?

Because I was there dropping off paper work for my refi and didn't want to make a separate trip. Your point about the $5 check bouncing would make sense if I was a stranger off the street but since I already have a business relationship with the bank with my mortgage it seems really silly on their part.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Was the check drawn on an account at that bank?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Dood.

Your wife is going to be pissed.

She filled out the form, cut the frigging UPC codes and mailed it in.  She waited 2 months and all you had to do was cash it!  CASH IT!

Seriously, just give her five bucks when you get home.  It is the smart play.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried to cash a check at the bank upon which it was drawn, and they wanted to charge me a fee.  

Fuck that.  I just deposited in my account with another bank and waited for it to clear.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a CD interest check from Wells Fargo.   My only account at WF was the CD.  They wouldn't cash it.  I moved the CD shortly after.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to remember that one of the local banks here wouldn't even make change for me because I didn't have an account.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Because the bank can't guarantee that $5.  The government will guarantee the $340k.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've tried to cash a check at the bank upon which it was drawn, and they wanted to charge me a fee.  

Fuck that.  I just deposited in my account with another bank and waited for it to clear.

Yep. BoA wanted to charge me $6.50 to cash a $5 check from a BoA account.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep. Happened to me the other day.

After charging me the fee, they had the gaul to try to get me to open an account.

OK... well... you know...

NO.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a CD interest check from Wells Fargo.   My only account at WF was the CD.  They wouldn't cash it.  I moved the CD shortly after.

I had an auto loan with Wells Fargo which I thought would allow me to do some banking there. I went in to do a currency exchange and was told I could not until I opened a checking account.

They have every right to have those requirements. I also have no problem moving my auto loan to a bank who will let me access services with just an auto loan.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]
You have to wait 3 days for them to admit the money electronically transferred is actually in your account.

I can have someone mail a USPS money order, go to the post office and cash it in the same time period.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

my dumbass bank, refused to deposit my government , us treasury check into my account..... cause it was dated the first, and this was the 31st. she told me to bring it back tomorrow.  I went to the next branch and they took it no problem..
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was the check drawn on an account at that bank?

Even if it was, a number of the banks in my area charge you $10 to cash a check drawn from them. Or you can open a free checking account. I've done that before. Open the account, they cash the check, I walk out, turn around, walk back in, and tell them to close the account.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top