Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 8:53:09 PM EDT
Watching Red Dawn, it made me think of how much more the cinematic experience of movies suck since they CGI everything nowadays, such as cars, tanks, and aircraft. Sure, the effects are cooler, but I think productions were much more well done when they had to use real equipment that behaved in real ways, rather than the happy-horseshit 'we can do anything any way we want!' cinematography we see today.

Yes, CGI has improved things in some ways, especially in scifi genres, but overall I think it has led to a worse cinematic experience.

Discuss.

Edit for clarity
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I can name a few good movies now and if I try some bad movies then. Inception, Nolan Batman Trilogy, Prometheus, Castaway on the Moon, Moon, Marvel Cinematic Universe, and The Artist, just to name a few.

As a genre, the late 80's to early/mid 90's had alot of crappy, no-plot action flicks. That genre has sort of died, though I hear Dredd is pretty good modern version of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can name a few good movies now and if I try some bad movies then. Inception, Juno, Prometheus, Castaway on the Moon, Moon, Marvel Cinematic Universe, and The Artist, just to name a few.

As a genre, the late 80's to early/mid 90's had alot of crappy, no-plot action flicks. That genre has sort of died, though I hear Dredd is pretty good modern version of it.

I'm not saying all movies made now suck, what I'm saying is that I feel that the experience is a bit more watered down due to the ease of implementing CGI to make a movie.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Movies like Blade Runner and Star Wars 4-6, prove you don't need CGI to make a good Sci-Fi movie.

Practical effects >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CGI in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There have always been bad movies, there will always be bad movies.

4/5 of the movie ads you see on TV are for bad movies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Movies like Blade Runner and Star Wars 4-6, prove you don't need CGI to make a good Sci-Fi movie.

This. I fucking gate CGI.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Compare "Tora, Tora, Tora!" to "Red tails".

The visuals, not the script, acting or story line.

Yeah. Three headed aliens shitting fire, getting shot with Laser slingshots, looks better with high end CGI and the artistry Lucas used in his first couple of flicks, but that is about it.

Nothing replaces "Damn near real" like "Damn near real".

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh god, remember the tank "battle" in Red Dawn?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cheesy? Yeah. But the fact that they were using real tanks made it a little bit better.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I can remember recently watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and thinking how awesome the "flying wing" fight scene was.

All real, long shots...really impressive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheesy? Yeah. But the fact that they were using real tanks made it a little bit better.

I thought they built them from somekind of earth moving equipment...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they built them from somekind of earth moving equipment...

Okay, real-looking tanks then. Real vehicles

Too lazy to actually go look up what they used
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
CGI can be great, like most of it in Fight Club.

If it's good then you don't know that it's CGI.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

TV Shows like Blake's 7 prove you need much in special effects to make a good Sci Fi story.
(" Oh, yes, of course. Well, let me tell you something, Blake, as far as I am concerned, you are just another piece of cargo. Remember that and you might just survive the journey. Do you understand?"––Raiker, (w,stte), "Blake's 7")
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Really, it's the stories themselves.  Audiences want more fights and car chases and  things blowing up now.  In a lot of genre's, a film will get panned unless there's some new technical feat.  But the stories these days so often basically suck. Audiences would not be able to sit still for what constituted great filmmaking of the 40s 50s and early 60s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really, it's the stories themselves.  Audiences want more fights and car chases and  things blowing up now.  In a lot of genre's, a film will get panned unless there's some new technical feat.  But the stories these days so often basically suck. Audiences would not be able to sit still for what constituted great filmmaking of the 40s 50s and early 60s.

Like "The Internecine Project"?

For the benefit of our studio audience at home, what we have is an enticing movie where a man sits alone in a room for a lot of the footage.

In the MAD satire on the FBI series, they highlighted how often in that series, it seemed like there was a car chase at the end that brought the episode together, to a conclusion. I don't know if that is accurate it or not, I didn't see that much of the series.....but it sounds a lot like what we have now.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("Kill him and let's see who picks up the body."––the enemy about finding out who Remo works for, (w,stte), "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins")
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top