Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 12:09:31 PM EDT
Lets hear it. I have an evil slice with my driver and fairway woods. I've tried different holds, back swings, follow through, stances. Even different clubs. How do I get ride of it, or what tool or trainer do I buy? Dare I say it should I seek professional help?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Pro help never hurts, get to understand the mechanics of the slice and you can defeat it and then call upon it when needed.
My best coach when I was a kid (my dad)defeated mine by a grip change that kept my clubhead from cutting across the ball.
Try rotating your wrists inward. For a right handed person this would be; left hand clockwise, right hand counter clockwise. I use the crease between my thumbs and index fingers as pointers. The crease of the right hand should point to the left shoulder and vice versa.
Every swing is different and so is every slice. A pro may see something you aren't feeling in your swing.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How tall are you??? Mind you that Gulf Clubs are built for an average height, and the maximum a person can be and still have the right equiptment is something like 6'2" tall.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
brain, as adman notes the "strong" or "weak" hand concept can often correct the slice or hook, depending upon the individual swing.  Another tip I got from a good golfer after several years of frustration was the rolling of the wrists at contact.  If you ever watch some slow motion films of good golfers, you will notice that they tend to roll their wrists at the moment of contact and continue as they follow through.  He compared it to a singles vs. a home run hitter in baseball.  You will see the same general motion with power hitters in baseball.  The bottom line is that it worked for me.  Sometimes it is referred to as "slow" hands.  Play with it on the driving range.  I will still hit a fade on occasion, but rarely a slice and then only if my hands get lazy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My instructor once told me that there is nothing natural about a golf swing. And after years of playing I believe him.

Go see a professional. They can run you through exercises to build a swing that is repeatable and fixable.

Even after all these years I still play a slight fade with my woods and my irons dead strait.

Rusty
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem with my driver - cut to just 1 inch under full length (I had a full length driver I made a couple of years ago- that puppy was LONG!!)

You are not coming around quickly enough to square the head at the momemt of impact. Things you can do to change that include:

-Choking down: (I don't like to do this since you can lose some distance)

-Take a stronger grip: If you're a righty, roll your top hand (the right hand) counter clockwise slightly so it covers the left hand more. It will feel awkward, but your clubhead will straighten out sooner.

-Step back with your left foot a little: This will point your left of your target, but will also bring you around sooner.

I prefer a subtle combination of the step back and rolled over right hand. My slicing has gone from horrendous to mostly non-existant, with the mandatory flame ups when it matters most [:(]

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
And if you can, you should upload some video of your swing so we can all [s]laugh at you[/s] give you better feedback!
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I could not respond sooner. The sight was down all day yesterday, And I was sleeping most of today.

To answer Benjamin0001 question I am 5'9" and am using standard length clubs.

bastiat I do not own a camcorder so I cant upload any video for your amusement. Though I wish I could. I am sure if I could see my own swing I would laugh myself right out of the game.

I would like to thank everybody for their suggestions. I am continuing to practice them and hope to try them out at the rang Monday, and on the course Tuesday.

If I can see any improvement I will be sure to post it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
What Big Bear said.

That is what worked for me. I put the ball even with the inside of my left foot, and I also keep my arms locked out, I don't bend them much at all in my backswing (requires about a 3/4 swing) and I NEVER have sliced since I started doing this. I lost a little distance but now I hit the ball straight as an arrow between 200 and 250 yards.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Your best bet is to find a pro who you can relate to well and take several lessons.  A slice is actually easy to correct but the help of a good professional will make it more likely to be a lasting change as opposed to one of the "quick fixes" that are usually works one day kind of things.  Lessons are not cheap but instead of paying money to just beat balls and reinforcing your old bad habits invest a little of that money into proper instruction and I guarantee you'll see results.  Since I became a golf course superintendent five years ago I have only taken three lessons(yes I get them for free), but with the help of these lessons I've taken my handicap from a 11 down to a 6.  Find a good pro, take a couple lessons and then work on what he teaches you and your slice will be gone.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#11]
What every one said about rolling your right hand counter clockwise worked for me sometimes, maybe every third or fourth hit.

What I finally did was to move the ball about 3 inches in front of my left foot, almost a foot to the left of my shirt pocket. I know--- I know, not what the books say but it worked for me.
I also use sort of a baseball swing with my driver.
Honest, 290 to 320 yds, down the middle 80% of the time.

I have been playing for only 4 years and routinely shoot in the low 80s. Thats the best I can do. Seem to be stuck.

Read lots of books, stuff on the internet and try different stuff at the driving range. Stick to one game at a time on the course.

And these guy around here think they have an addiction.  [:D]  Let the golf bug bite you in the ass once.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I too suffered from a bad slice until recently.  I just recently began playing but found two things that helped.  One, I was cupping (i.e. bending them up) my wrists at takeaway which opens up the clubface.  Two, I had a bad outside/in swingpath.  Combine the two and you get a bad slice.  

I used the "headcover drill" to help with my swingpath.  Put a headcover under your back arm (right arm if righty--left arm if lefty).  The cover should stay put through the backswing and through the ball.  It should only come out after striking the ball on the follow-through.  

I still struggle a little with cupping but it's leaving--I just have to concentrate on not doing it.  

I've only been swinging a club for about a month now and I can now pretty regularly (85%) hit straight with the woods and long irons (short irons go really well).  My slice is pretty much gone so I'm now trying to strike the ball more consistently.  

That one pure hit out of the bucket keeps you coming back!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Sure cure for the slice.......

Take 2 weeks off  and then quit the game.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sure cure for the slice.......

Take 2 weeks off  and then quit the game.
View Quote

Cured my slice. And hook.

Never again topped the ball. Or got pissed for leaving a putt short.

And the price was good too.

[:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top