Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2012 3:25:43 PM EDT
I'm hoping some one here can help me out.  I bought a set of used extended brake lines for my Jeep Scrambler, the neighbor guy walked by and said I needed copper washers on the surface of the block that bolts into the brake.  My question is, do you need a copper washer on both sides of the block, or if not, what side is it needed?  Would check with my neighbor, but left for work.

Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you need them on both sides; one on the bolt side, one on the brake line/caliper side.  This will allow you to properly seal the connection and prevent loss of brake fluid, contaminates entering the system, or air.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, both sides
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
And new ones are better than used ones.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jeep Scrambler,

Your pictures aren't loading.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the info.

Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The copper being soft acts as a seal.

Pics are not loading. My first heep was a cj8 but i'm a jackass.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes you need them. I can tell you everything you need to know about jeep......I can even tell you how to flip a cj5 three times end over end and two times side over side and....um....never mind.

You need the washers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The copper washers only go on the front  brake lines, right?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Go ahead, ask me about why you use new copper washers on every mating service......
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure on your jeep. If rear disk brakes....need copper. Drum brakes generally the fitting screws straight into the wheel cylinder=no copper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go ahead, ask me about why you use new copper washers on every mating service......

Why do you use "new" copper washers on every mating surface, sitdwnabdhngon?

<––- using compression fittings on rear.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

the old ones can be annealed with a blowtorch...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you use "new" copper washers on every mating surface, sitdwnabdhngon?

Glad you asked...

Once, I fell into the one copper washer trap, had a locked up caliper on the way home, had work in the morning and slapped it. The drive to work the next morning was terrifying with the brake fluid loss.

Same truck, some time later, yet again a cheap caliper failed and I changed it the night before work, reused the copper washers I had, using two this time at least. One failed, same story, brake fluid everywhere the next day.

As a teenager it was lessons learned the hard way. Now I buy good calipers and use new copper washers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
You need copper washers whenever you have a banjo, IME.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pennies with holes drilled in them also work.    Did that when i was about 17, worked perfectly.  I would not try that now that i am older.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The copper washers only go on the front  brake lines, right?

They go everywhere a rubber hose with a block attaches to a caliper or junction block.  If your rear brakes are drums, you'll probably have a hard line that attaches to a wheel cylinder and a rubber line and block where the hard line from the axle attaches to the hard line on the body.

edit: pics would help clarify if you have any more questions.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Or just jb weld the shit out of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top