Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2012 11:07:22 AM EDT
My pickup (2004 dodge W/ Cummins) is in need of batteries. What does the hive think the best automotive batteries are?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Sears Die Hard Platinum.

Made by Johnson Controls and essentially the same battery as an Odyssey without the high price tag.

Run one in my toyota 4x4 (has offroad lights, winch, big stereo, power inverter, etc). Very happy with it.
Much better then the Optima yellow top it replaced.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sears Die Hard Platinum.

Made by Johnson Controls and essentially the same battery as an Odyssey without the high price tag.

Run one in my toyota 4x4 (has offroad lights, winch, big stereo, power inverter, etc). Very happy with it.

^Truth.

Optima was the rage –– but the Die Hard Platinum is an over all better battery.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sears Die Hard Platinum.

Got one in my GMC Sierra.  They're legit
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a CAT store nearby get one from them, they have them for itty bitty trucks like the Ram.

Otherwise, go to Sears, Pep Boys, Autozone, whatever and get the top line one, Gold, Platinum, Unobtanium whatever the super metal of the day is. They are all Johnson Controls. Or get an Interstate if they are available.

Stay away from Exide.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Any battery with a good warranty.

Still, if I was shopping for a battery, the Diehard Platinum would be my first choice.  I have a Diehard Gold in my Tacoma now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The sears we have here sucks, and I doubt they are going to have batteries, but I will certainly check them first. Someone mentioned Interstate, that is the way I was leaning. Anyone have any pro's/con's with them? The one in my last pickup went 5 years, but I'm not sure if they have changed since then. Also, anyone know anything about Ameristart? The local parts house I like to use carries them, and claim they are as good as any other (of course).
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The sears we have here sucks, and I doubt they are going to have batteries, but I will certainly check them first. Someone mentioned Interstate, that is the way I was leaning. Anyone have any pro's/con's with them? The one in my last pickup went 5 years, but I'm not sure if they have changed since then. Also, anyone know anything about Ameristart? The local parts house I like to use carries them, and claim they are as good as any other (of course).

Like most brands, they are made by Johnson Controls. The only difference between their top line and a Die Hard Platinum is the sticker.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like most brands, they are made by Johnson Controls. The only difference between their top line and a Die Hard Platinum is the sticker.

Awesome. Sounds like that will be the best way for me to go right now.

Only if they were open on a Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the DH Plat in my 05, 03, 01, 99, 97, and 92  Cummins trucks. With these datteries, the trucks start faster than other batteries. Really strong batteries. I'm getting more years than others.

I also have over 30 group 31 Die Hard Platinums in equipment. They are stronger than anything comparable. I'm getting 7 year of use out of a bunch of them. And they are being used heavily.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
....Made by Johnson Controls...

Same manufacturer as Wal-Mart's Everstart batteries, by the way.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#11]
the die hard in my Jeep is 11 years old. The die hard in my truck is 9. I only buy die hard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Optima with the yellow top. I ran that in the 2010 Chevy duramax diesel I had while
working 5 miles south of the Canadian border near Flaxton ND winter of 2010/2011 and
never had any issues firing that bad boy up even if I forgot to plug in my truck!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Optimas have been shit for quite a while.  I run interstates in all my vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Interstate here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Three vehicles and three red top optima batteries. I love em! My uncle also swears by Optima batteries for his boat. He has blue top Optimas in his bass boat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Optima with the yellow top. I ran that in the 2010 Chevy duramax diesel I had while
working 5 miles south of the Canadian border near Flaxton ND winter of 2010/2011 and
never had any issues firing that bad boy up even if I forgot to plug in my truck!!!!

Optimas are old technology. The yellows don't compare to DH Ps. In power they were 900 vs 1150 CCA. The RC is a lot lower as well. The yellows never held up to the years the DH P will. Usually a year to two years less than the DH P. For my reference, I've owner over 40 yellow top Optimas before I switched entirely over to the Die Hard Platinum.

This one blew the fuck up. Luckily it was in a heavy steel battery box and no one was hurt. The DH P is fully sealed. The Optimas vent a ton of gas when being charged/ discharged. More than water batteries. This one caught a spark while under use.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm in Williston, so it's the same kind of weather. I have had the pickup for 2 years, and it still has the original (I think) Mopar batteries. I hardly ever plugged it in last year, and it started like a dream. I'm not paying dealer prices for batteries though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#18]
OEM

AB

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sears Die Hard Platinum.

Just put one in my Jeep a few months ago based on recommendations from the Jeep Forum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the same manufacturer as Costco's Kirkland Signature car batteries as well. Just replaced the 7 year old OEM battery in my Corolla with one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

same

factory motorcraft are good too 9 years old in my powerstroke
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Williston, so it's the same kind of weather. I have had the pickup for 2 years, and it still has the original (I think) Mopar batteries. I hardly ever plugged it in last year, and it started like a dream. I'm not paying dealer prices for batteries though.

They are also made by Johnson Controls.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the same manufacturer as Costco's Kirkland Signature car batteries as well. Just replaced the 7 year old OEM battery in my Corolla with one.

Did not know that.

Have the Costco batteries in the rest of my vehicles, all have worked well. One in my Tacoma is starting to go (cranking slower then before). Just looked and realized it is 8+ years old.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Many brand names are made by two or three manufactures in the US.  I like Johnson Controls Battery.  Buy what you feel comfortable spending but make sure it's a JCB.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I stay clear of Interstates. Great warranty on an expensive POS battery that is no better than anything else out there, you'll need the warranty.

ETA. We ran a 30 someodd vehicle fleet of mostly vans and trucks and tried Interstates for a while and tracked them. Our fleet manager switched back to whatever brand Auto Zone or Western Auto carried since it was closer to our office, they were half to 2/3rds the price and typically exceeded the Interstate's life. They do have a good warranty, but we spent a LOT of time getting them replaced.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Interstate sells good batteries, most are 30 month full replacement/84 month pro-rated.  I bought a car back in 2010 that our shop had always maintained.  The battery was weak, but would start the car after a good charge just wouldn't hold overnight.  When the Interstate guy came by, I asked him about warranty on the battery in case it was still under warranty.  He looked at the battery and chuckled, it was made in 1999.  I bought the car in June 2010 from the PO who hit a deer in January 2010.  The battery had worked flawlessly for 11 years until the car was wrecked, and still worked good enough after sitting up for a few months to at least boost off and run the car.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I like batteries made by East Penn.  The higher end Carquest batteries are East Penns.  The brand I hate the most is Exide.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My company paid for  the abttery, not me

I hope I never have to go back to ND again. Hate that hell hole.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optimas are old technology. The yellows don't compare to DH Ps. In power they were 900 vs 1150 CCA. The RC is a lot lower as well. The yellows never held up to the years the DH P will. Usually a year to two years less than the DH P. For my reference, I've owner over 40 yellow top Optimas before I switched entirely over to the Die Hard Platinum.

This one blew the fuck up. Luckily it was in a heavy steel battery box and no one was hurt. The DH P is fully sealed. The Optimas vent a ton of gas when being charged/ discharged. More than water batteries. This one caught a spark while under use.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/2yk0y8k.jpg

Sorry about your luck.

I never had an issue with them in any of the 3 work trucks I ran them in and I worked year round from Texas to North Dakota in
any and all kinds of weather. Sitting for a couple weekson end without cranking it over in Wyoming,Montana and North Dakota winters

Id buy one today over any else in my personal truck. YMMV

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I went with AC Delco. They had the longest free replacement warranty of 42 months.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#32]
There is an interstate battery in my suburban It has been trouble

for some time every 2 weeks the battery terminal would come lose

I put new bolts and cables in to no avail

then I just dinged the threads of the bolt and put it back into the battery. just fine for 1 year now

bad threads in the battery

used to use optima till they moved out of the states

next will be diehard platinum

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

... my philosophy too

I live in an unforgiving environment for truck batteries

Therefore I buy popular-brand lead-acid batteries and pay particular attention to the warranty. It's worked great for me.

Paying $220 for (2) "Die Hard Platinum" is not cost-efficient for me

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you have a CAT store nearby get one from them, they have them for itty bitty trucks like the Ram.

If not then Costco or the Die Hard Platinum.

This.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

... my philosophy too

I live in an unforgiving environment for truck batteries

Therefore I buy popular-brand lead-acid batteries and pay particular attention to the warranty. It's worked great for me.

Paying $220 for (2) "Die Hard Platinum" is not cost-efficient for me

If I only had to buy 2,... it would be a inexpensive purchase.

Old pic. I've bought 15 or so since 3-11.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I am a the Heavy equipment mechainc for a fleet of 220 vehicles, for traditional batterys we run nothing but Interstate, and they are great batterys, for AGMs we are using Centenial (sp?) and they seem to be holding up well so far. FYI, there are only about 8 battery manufacturers in the world, all the others are rebrands. Johnson Controls and Interstate are the biggest 2 in the US. Napa and Carquest use rebranded Interstate, so you can still get a good battery from them for less than what interstate wants.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I like Costco batteries for two reasons:

- I can pick the battery I want.  I look at the date codes and get the newest battery.

- Warranty.  I can return it for a refund.  Last year I returned one –– they gave me a refund and never even tested it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top