Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2012 6:45:59 PM EDT
With the election coming up, I was under the self impression that AR's..., um, I mean MSR's... would be flying off the tables at several recent gun shows I attended.  It was just the opposite .  Every dealer there had an abundance of BR's, and most of them were priced fairly reasonably.  Very few were moving .  As a matter of fact , I saw more people bringing in their own AR's/AK's to sell than I can remember in a long time.  I even got a screaming deal of 10 new maglevel 30 rounders for 10 bucks each.  Anybody else have observations from shows they've been to recently?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
People are broke.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

People are broke.
Or are voting against the person  that gave them the reason to in the first place?

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
People are broke.

This^

At least I am.

I went today, lots of good deals on AR's, no panic so far. Plenty of inventory; rifles, parts, ammo, everything was there and not outrageously priced.

Guns were selling in O'town though, people were sitting down doing paper everywhere, the Shoot Straight boys were out of room even though they had 4 tables just for paperwork, people were scattered around filling it out everywhere.

Looked like gun sals were good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Blah blah blah
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun show this weekend in bum-fuck-central-Nebraska.

I sold a $100 shotgun and 3 AK mags.  

Attendance was down and sales were shitty... for nearly everyone.  Not many guns being brought in to sell either.

I think everyone is just waiting to see what happens with the election...  Tulsa should be interesting(weekend after the election).
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Man I dont know... I'm lookin forward to the next show though and hope I can find some deals.   If I'm real lucky I'll find a deal on a .357 for the ole lady for  Christmas.  I just cant get her sold on the simi autos
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
We'll see after the first week of Nov. I missed the last one here. No money to spend any ways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The last one I went to had a lot of crap guns I wouldn't even use to prop the screen door open with...higher than normal prices too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually bought beef jerkey at a gun show today.
The jerkey is really good. It's made by a local meat processor.
Best I've had in a while.

But I also scored some Troy grip panels that were being clearanced and stocked up on targets and cleaning gack.
Also got a field holster for my 617 for $15, which is exactly what I was looking for.
Not a CCI MIni-Mag in sight anywhere at the show.
Didn't see a whole lot of guns moving.

People are broke.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually bought a rifle from a dealer for the first time in almost a decade at a gunshow last weekend

even paid price on the tag ( way under wholesale) after it appeared he had marked it down 4 times

he just said he needed to free up some cash

As for the OP's original question

From what I have seen/heard at our shop from customers

this election quite simply doesn't seem to have people riled up enough to part with their scarce cash

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gun show this weekend in bum-fuck-central-Nebraska.

I sold a $100 shotgun and 3 AK mags.  

Attendance was down and sales were shitty... for nearly everyone.  Not many guns being brought in to sell either.

I think everyone is just waiting to see what happens with the election...  Tulsa should be interesting(weekend after the election).

I think I walked through that same gun show.  The one next to the Horse Show?  Lots of people in scooters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw a used Springfield Armory M1A for $1,800.  I moved on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

People are broke.

There it is.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Went to the Evansville gun show today ith a Pelican case fullest of part.s, pieces and a couple of guns.

Came home with a NIB Rock Island 22 TCM, 3 boxes of ammo, 2 boxes of 22 magnum, a surefire profite E2e LED and 800 bucks profit.

Good day IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of people are waiting for the prices to drop after the election. Last go around burned a lot of people out.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
People are broke.

There it is.

I know I am.  Which is a real shame, because I am one of those people that is easily parted from his money, even if I know the price is off, just for the gratification of getting something NOW.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Good news!

Market saturation.  Everyone who wants a EBR has already bought one.

I also notice the lackluster sales in the EE.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Sales sluggish in this area unless your givin it away. Dealers  recycled price tags from last election on AR's and AK type rifles, Any piston driven .556 rifle requires some bone marrow deposit for purchase. The biggest seller I saw was magazines, p mags in 308 especially , handgun mags too. Then the typical 300 pound 5 foot 5 inch smelly guy with the sign draped over his back "get it before there banned "AR for sale priced at $1100 for a $600 Walmart DPMS
That was my first fun show in 10 years glad to see nothing's changed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Deff a combination of factors. people are broke, waiting to see what happens in Nov, Huge glut of AR's on the market, everyone and thier brother sells AR's now days.

Most shops around here are chock  full of AR's and sales appear slow. Most shop owners have stocked up alot in advance of the election not wanting a repeat of 2008's high demand no inventory....

IF Obama wind there will be a another run...If Romney not. Next big Gunshow here is Nov 2
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good news!

Market saturation.  Everyone who wants a EBR has already bought one.

I also notice the lackluster sales in the EE.  

^^ For a large part, this.  I for one have already bought all the parts and stuff I need or want at this time.   Many of the gun guys I know at work have done the same.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything I saw was overpriced; it was like 2008 all over again, on steroids in some cases.  People walking around with their AR's were asking a LOT more than they deserved; more than new in many cases, with shitastic optics that were supposed to increase the price, I suppose.  Listen folks, your knock-off Chinese EOTechs (yes, I've bought a few too, but haven't tried to pawn them off on others!) don't make your rifle tactical and worth another 50% of what you paid for it - if anything, it's the opposite.

I did NOT notice a lot of movement, however, on things I considered overpriced.  That includes the long-term food storage solutions - while I'm glad to see it more mainstream now, the stuff I saw was a lot more expensive than the Honeywell and Mountain House stuff I bought a few years ago.  I have no way to determine quality in comparison, as I didn't buy the expensive stuff and haven't dug too deeply into my own stores - except all of the freeze-dried strawberries and raspberries my wife and 3 year old daughter keep raiding.  I've had to rotate ALL of those, several times over.

All in all... the gun show sucked, honestly.  High prices, average selection, and everyone appeared... down?  Depressed?  Don't know.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People are broke.

This and the AR market is saturated.
Look at anything else and the knuckleheads are insane on what they want.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Deff a combination of factors. people are broke, waiting to see what happens in Nov, Huge glut of AR's on the market, everyone and thier brother sells AR's now days.

Most shops around here are chock  full of AR's and sales appear slow. Most shop owners have stocked up alot in advance of the election not wanting a repeat of 2008's high demand no inventory....

IF Obama wind there will be a another run...If Romney not. Next big Gunshow here is Nov 2

If theres a glut why is it so hard to get an AR for a customer now from a wholesaler.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If theres a glut why is it so hard to get an AR for a customer now from a wholesaler.

Because the dealers bought them all out thinking there'd be a rush like last time.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Most people that could get "scared into one" already did.  Used ones are plentiful.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are broke.

This and the AR market is saturated.
Look at anything else and the knuckleheads are insane on what they want.

I noticed this at a show back in August.  $600-700 PSA's and Del-Ton's and $1050 Colts vs. $600 WASR, $800 Century CETME, $900 Century FAL, $1600 PS90.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
People are broke.

First reply nails it again in true ARFCOM fashion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because the dealers bought them all out thinking there'd be a rush like last time.

That wouldn't explain a six month backorder situation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#29]

You can get an AR at Wallyworld now.  You don't need the gunshow for that.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I went to the show in Niles, Ohio yesterday. It did not seem to have any more people then normal. A lot of the AR stuff I looked at was priced a little higher then normally would be. I did not see very much 5.56 ammo at all.

Not a lot of guys bringing in guns to sell from what I saw either.

The tables for doing paper work were pretty slow also.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
People are broke.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
PSA has got M4orgery's for 699 I believe.

My next AR I'm building myself.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? If dealers bought out distributors then the manufacturers have a backlog of orders to replenish the distributors.

And this will be a big election/holiday season for stores like Walmart and Dicks and such,

that suddenly now carry the evil black rifles.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#34]
High parking and admission prices as well as my states 10-day waiting period keeps me out of gun shows.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I suspect that walmart carrying Colt M4's is going to put a hurting on the guy show dealers who are overcharging for AR15 type firearms.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why? If dealers bought out distributors then the manufacturers have a backlog of orders to replenish the distributors.

And this will be a big election/holiday season for stores like Walmart and Dicks and such,

You really think the dealers bought up the equivalent of SIX MONTHS of production in what this thread  reports are tough economic times with no rifles selling?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are broke.

First reply nails it again in true ARFCOM fashion.

A "first post nails it" reply to the first post in true ARFCOM fashion.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Gunshw ARs 850.00 for the same AR that can be had at Walmart for 699.00....gunshow .223 8 bucks, walmart 6.99...etc....I go for the entertainment value and to see all the snipers, navy Seals and SF wannabes in their costumes..
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really think the dealers bought up the equivalent of SIX MONTHS of production in what this thread  reports are tough economic times with no rifles selling?

I haven't seen their books, have you?

If their numbers from last year, or last election cycle, indicate weak sales in September,

giving way to a strong uptick in sales for the month of October, then maybe?

I really don't know.

Would it be logical to think people would wait till the last minute to buy lowers, mags, and ammo during election panic?

I would think that buying when prices are at their highest and stock at it's lowest wouldn't make sense...

Yet here we are, once again, with people doing exactly that.

And besides, we're talking about one gunshow here.... things might be entirely different elsewhere.

Actually, I think things are quite different elsewhere.

I don't even pay attention, yet I know shit has been in short supply for awhile now.

Why are there backlogs and things in short supply in the first place? Now that, I have no idea.

It would seem to me that if sales are so good and demand so high, you'd hire more people and run more shifts.

*shrugs*

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Gunshw ARs 850.00 for the same AR that can be had at Walmart for 699.00....gunshow .223 8 bucks, walmart 6.99...etc....I go for the entertainment value and to see all the snipers, navy Seals and SF wannabes in their costumes..

Heh, that's the truth. A gun show is the last place I'd go to buy a gun.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Folks are scared to fucking death and not about the .gov coming and taking them to FEMA Camps, they are scared that food and gas prices will render them helpless by this time next year.  The fantasy is over and the reality of whats really happening has set in and guns and bullets taste like shit and cant make your car run.  People have finally realized (including a lot of you) that $1000 AR buys a lot more usefull meat and bread.  I've noticed a lot of you arfcomers selling your AR's including your last one (per posts) in need of cash so yes FANTASY HAS MET REALITY and it's a BITCH!!  

ETA:  I fucking hate gun shows always full of the TV Land Fantasy types...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#43]
A few weeks ago I hit a show looking for spare pistol mags.  

Offered a few guys ~$25 cash for lightly used Sig factory mags, and most guys declined.  So I went home and ordered them online for about the same price.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I saw a used Springfield Armory M1A for $1,800.  I moved on.

I saw a sig scorpian for about $325 more than I paid for mine. No wonder they don't sell many guns.  Seems to me the purpose is to sell the guns not show them off.  but what the hell do I know.

I bought a couple .50 caliber ammo cans.  That was it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Gunshow prices r .... overpriced.

I can sit on my couch drinking a beer and order anything I want for less money.  I go from time to time to grab some ammo to help a buddy who's a dealer, other than that, waste of time...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#46]
At my last gunshow, the following stuck out to me:

- Slightly high ammo prices, but about even with online+shipping
- $6 used GI mags
- $40 AK-74 bakelite mags
- $13 PMags; $11 without window
- $28,000 MG42
- $34,000 M60

The ammo was a little high and the 74 mags were stupid high, but the rest was pretty good.

Receiver prices were in line with what they should be. Same with complete ARs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#47]
It's sad, but I think we're going to see the end of the Gunshow market.

There are too many firearm warehousers selling on the internet, for much lower prices...and as for used guns, why limit your seller's market to a local area, when the internet can advertise your weapon across the entire country?

Bullets––unless you're buying somebody else's reloads ––are going to be cheaper via the 'net...and with gas as high as it is (and with me living 2 hours away from the nearest venue), price of admission/parking...I don't see a reason to attend.

I'm not speaking for just myself: None of my firearms associates has been to a show in years.

Don't know if it matters much, but most of us built our ARs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
People are broke.

YES!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
With the election coming up, I was under the self impression that AR's..., um, I mean MSR's... would be flying off the tables at several recent gun shows I attended.  It was just the opposite .  Every dealer there had an abundance of BR's, and most of them were priced fairly reasonably.  Very few were moving .  As a matter of fact , I saw more people bringing in their own AR's/AK's to sell than I can remember in a long time.  I even got a screaming deal of 10 new maglevel 30 rounders for 10 bucks each.  Anybody else have observations from shows they've been to recently?

Was this the show in Gray, TN?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its not on everything , really only ones I can think of that are way behind is RRA and Daniel Defense

outside of a few select models for the last few months Colt Bushmaster SIG and DPMS have been fairly plentiful

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top