Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 7:39:26 AM EDT
I'm talking to a guy that wants to trade some silver coins for a handgun. Problem is, I don't know how to calculate the actual value of the silver so I would know which handgun to offer(if any) to him in trade.

I'd rather handle this by sending anyone willing to help me the list of coins offered and his terms. Anyone willing to do this please post here and I'll send the info.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd give him face value on them. Hope he has alot!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]

yep

to make it simple for the OP figure 25x face value, e.g. a 90% silver dime is worth 25 x $0.10 = $2.50

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]

At the time of the trade, use the coinflation silver coin value tool to figure the current value of the silver coins. Do not agree to any price other than current silver value at the time of sale.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

At the time of the trade, use the coinflation silver coin value tool to figure the current value of the silver coins. Do not agree to any price other than current silver value at the time of sale.

Concur

Coinflation is a good tool to use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#6]
what kind of coins?
silver containing US currency or bullion?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]

This, and

No numismatic value. Calculate for silver content only.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
If the person that wants to trade was to take the coins to a shop to sell them he would find them discounted.   A shop usually buys at discounts that can range from 5% to 15% below spot.  And sells the other way around.

Keep this in mind if you do the trade.   Why trade at 100% of spot value.  He can't sell it for that at a dealer and niether can you.

Just a thought.

GD
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

what kind of coins?

silver containing US currency or bullion?

US currency containing silver.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a calculator on that site.  It lists all the 90% US silver coins.  It'll help with the math.  It calculates value based on silver content.  

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

I wouldn't bother trading for 40% silver coins, unless it's near face value. There's a smaller market for those.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey has anybody mentioned coinflation yet?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]

One thing I need to add... he says silver sells above spot value. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This, and

No numismatic value. Calculate for silver content only.

Or,

http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/silver-calculators/us-silver-coin-calculator/

You have to know whether the silver in question is 90% content or not. Pre '65 are 90%. This is for melt weight only.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One thing I need to add... he says silver sells above spot value. Is this correct?

No, you go to sell it you will not get spot price. The buyer makes his profit on your end and when he sells it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a calculator on that site.  It lists all the 90% US silver coins.  It'll help with the math.  It calculates value based on silver content.  

I wouldn't bother trading for 40% silver coins, unless it's near face value. There's a smaller market for those.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

exactly stated, 40% is for suckers. Anything before '65 is 90%, don't let him tell you otherwise. DO NOT TRADE FOR ANYTHING AFTER ''65.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#17]
40% is perfectly good, just not worth as much as 90%. I am a coin dealer and buy and sell large quantities of 40% every week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Only if you happen to own a coin shop which, using my steel trap like mind, I can deduce that you do not.

I'd give him 90% spot value excepting some rarity that has outstanding numismatic value.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless you want a large quantity of silver coins, why would you even consider this?  

It is just as though he were offering you Hershey bars or cases of paper towels.  I would only accept the silver if the price was adjusted for the silver content and at least 10% below spot price.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't bother trading for 40% silver 65'ng before '65 is 90%, don't let him tell you otherwise. DO NOT TRADE FOR ANYTHING AFTER ''65.

Thanks for that plus the info about spot value, this is helping a LOT. A certain percentage of the package is '65 - '69 coinage                              

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Unless you want a large quantity of silver coins, why would you even consider this?  

It is just as though he were offering you Hershey bars or cases of paper towels.  I would only accept the silver if the price was adjusted for the silver content and at least 10% below spot price.  

IM inbound

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

People trade things all the time.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's where coininflation.com comes in to determine its the silver content.  That and the fact that the dollar is dying and that silver coins will be a valuable medium for exchange.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#24]
You can sell the silver on ebay.  

Here's a batch of $100 in junk silver coins.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Almost-100-FACE-VALUE-SILVER-99-85-morgan-half-quarter-dime-liberty-mercury-/110959303432

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top