Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2012 7:38:22 AM EDT
COLUMBIA, SC (AP/WIS) - Columbia police are preparing for the big crowds expected after the Georgia-South Carolina football game Saturday night.

Officials say campus police, Richland County sheriff's deputies, the South Carolina Highway Patrol and Fort Jackson's military police will help with crowd control after the game.

http://www.wistv.com/story/19723876/columbia-police-prepare-for-post-game-crowd
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to be wild If SC wins.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
IBPC
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Posse Comitatus Act Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does not apply.  Read it sometime.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The "military" is utilized for "crowd control" all the time...

Almost every weekend... During the college football season...

The military is activated, given live rounds, and get to putting the heat on Americans on American soil...

Reservists are activated, and trained at suppressing American rights. They make them line-up, go through metal detectors, and the constitution is set aside, and their property is subject to search...

At Air Force Academy, Army, and Navy games...
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

BS. I watched "the siege". Yall don't know anything.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The NG has been used all the time here. I don't know about the actual Fort Jackson full time thing.

We don't have a large police force in any town or city in SC, not to extent that they can pull enough of them from the city ( Columbia) or from a another city to help, without leaving the cities where they are pulled from without enough coverage.

For instance, my hometown. We have a chief, and two officers full time, and one part time.

The part time guy is 70 years old, and is always on call as the only rural big animal ( horses mostly ) vet within 30 miles. He is also going to be pulling my abscessed tooth Tuesday or Wednesday. He is the only dentist in town too. It isn't uncommon to see the patrol car at a farm where he is out helping a farmer with a difficult birthing of a horse or cow, or fixing a horse's tooth, or legs and hooves, and then 2 hours later see it at his office for 45 minutes while he pulls a tooth or does a checkup, and then an hour later on a call for the department.

He is on call for all three jobs pretty much. We have sort of a Mayberry kind of town, except that now you would have to add crack dealers and closed up and shut down mills and stores. Back in the day, you could have taken a picture here and thought it was Mayberry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a youngster, our boy scout troop would provide crowd control and usher services at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City for the U of I. Of course Boy Scouts were more badass 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#12]
At one time I lived very close to USC.   The GA vs SC games are unreal.  The crowds absolutely tie Colimbia in knots.  And the partying is not just at the stadium.   It's the whole damn area.

The game is today at 7pm.   But the parties have been going on since yesterday.   Even in Augusta Ga.   80 miles away.

GD
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At one time I lived very close to USC.   The GA vs SC games are unreal.  The crowds absolutely tie Colimbia in knots.  And the partying is not just at the stadium.   It's the whole damn area.

The game is today at 7pm.   But the parties have been going on since yesterday.   Even in Augusta Ga.   80 miles away.

GD

And that is nothing compared to the Carolina/Clemson game.

We had  fights at school  between good friends in the days leading up to the game, or the days right after. Everybody went back to normal though.  There is still a lot of tension amongst friends my age here. If you want to see what I mean, IM me add me on FB and check out my feed during that week. It's funny actually in a way, sad in another. The Cowboy and Redskins fans ( I was a Dolphin's guy - good time back then) in school in the 70s and early 80s were similar. No troops were ever called out though. lol
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking that if you have to have the military come out to control crowds at a football game that maybe you shouldn't have the football game at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Plumbata said.

If you've lived in the vicinity of a large .mil installation and a large university or bar district, you'd know this and would've seen it in person.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm thinking that if you have to have the military come out to control crowds at a football game that maybe you shouldn't have the football game at all.

SEC...  
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
got box seats tonight osu vs neb and that is 100k+
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Its all part of our plan.

Nothing to see here.

Just carry on...
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nothing to see here.

Just carry on...

Very old plan, been going on for 40 years. Need to hop to it.

And, we'll be waiting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SEC...  

What does that have to do with it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to see here.

Just carry on...

And, we'll be waiting.

NSIS
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to see here.

Just carry on...

And, we'll be waiting.

Meh, I have drones that have FLIR and can see inside your house.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SEC...  

What does that have to do with it?

Sorry.  Did I use the wrong smiley?  Just trying to poke the SEC fans a little bit.  

Some people get bent out of shape so easily...  
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Went to college at USC and now live in SoCal.  This is nothing unusual.  They call out the guys from Jackson to basically herd cats, and they have the "State Guard" out there to help with medical or rowdy partiers.  The CPD, RCSD and SCHP have their hands full.  Stadium capacity is like 86000+ at Williams-Brice.  Add another 50k plus of people who don't actually go to the games and tailgate/get trashed otherwise, plus the sheer cars and out of towners, you need every able bodied person you can get.  UGA travels big to SC, and the bars are packed.  I guarantee every EMT is on call to.  Don't read into this too much.

Trust me, if you're there with your family, wife, boyfriend girlfriend, husband etc, you love seeing the police presence.  Coupled with the increase in violent activity in areas like 5 points, this is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether it applies or not isn't the point. It's unnecessary and uncalled for. Period.

Call up your NG when the riots break out, not before. That's what the POLICE are for.

And if you are fully expecting civil disobedience to break out from the game, there's shouldn't be a game.

People who lose all self control because of the outcome of a sport are pathetic and childish. It's just a game.

And for those of you that say this is no big deal, the acclimatization of using military to police it's citizens working well on you I see.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to see here.

Just carry on...

And, we'll be waiting.

Meh, I have drones that have FLIR and can see inside your house.

Who says I will be anywhere near my house.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Went to college at USC and now live in SoCal.  This is nothing unusual.  They call out the guys from Jackson to basically herd cats, and they have the "State Guard" out there to help with medical or rowdy partiers.  The CPD, RCSD and SCHP have their hands full.  Stadium capacity is like 86000+ at Williams-Brice.  Add another 50k plus of people who don't actually go to the games and tailgate/get trashed otherwise, plus the sheer cars and out of towners, you need every able bodied person you can get.  UGA travels big to SC, and the bars are packed.  I guarantee every EMT is on call to.  Don't read into this too much.

Trust me, if you're there with your family, wife, boyfriend girlfriend, husband etc, you love seeing the police presence.  Coupled with the increase in violent activity in areas like 5 points, this is a good idea.

Ah the bar crawl. So you've had that fun then. 5 points. I always remember how I got there, but never can figure out how I got back., lol
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]

In before the FEMA camp tards.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether it applies or not isn't the point. It's unnecessary and uncalled for. Period.

Call up your NG when the riots break out, not before. That's what the POLICE are for.

And if you are fully expecting civil disobedience to break out from the game, there's shouldn't be a game.

People who lose all self control because of the outcome of a sport are pathetic and childish. It's just a game.

And for those of you that say this is no big deal, the acclimatization of using military to police it's citizens working well on you I see.

Arfcom GD never disappoints.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always someone to crap on everyone else's good time.  Always.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In before the FEMA camp tards.

A football stadium sure could hold a lot of detainees.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Over react much? University of Michigan football stadium holds damn near as many people as the entire city population.  I have never seen troops at work there, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were. There's only so much a small police department can handle. Let's just cancel all concerts, sporting events and trade shows since there is a chance of violence breaking out.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I thinking that if people are shot by guns each year maybe we shouldn't have guns at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Its cheaper to hire these soldiers, who are already trained and (probably unarmed anyway) than hire and train someone just to say keep the truck off the grass and turn down your music ect.
I bet they are eager to work the event anyway. As long as they are acting reasonable who cares better than not having them around and a presence is really needed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#36]
On some bases the Police are not active duty military. Some NAVY bases have contracted Police officers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone stop to consider that they may be there for any Ft. Jackson soldiers that get out of hand?  I mean, they go out to Five Points to have a good time too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyone stop to consider that they may be there for any Ft. Jackson soldiers that get out of hand?  I mean, they go out to Five Points to have a good time too.

I'm sure the local police can handle the soldiers just as they would anyone else. That's not why they're going though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
got box seats tonight osu vs neb and that is 100k+

I'll be there
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Excellent, now they can be moved out of the stadiums to the trains and camps..................I love it when a plan comes together. RustedAce was right.....Too Easy!
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does not apply. Read it sometime.

What Plumbata said.

If you've lived in the vicinity of a large .mil installation and a large university or bar district, you'd know this and would've seen it in person.

Broadway in Columbus, Georgia for instance. MP's all up in that bitch most nights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top