Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i never understood this. what the fuck is the point besides fucking with people??  we have the internet for that now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Roomie used to joke about shining a laser at the A10's from the local Naval Reserve station that used to fly over out house every fucking Saturday morning at 7am.

I used to dissuade him, and controlled all the laser points that our house would accumulate.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. Assholkes like that can kill people.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope an engine falls off and lands on the ass holes that do this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
How one of the offenders claim it for a prank or joke is not even believable. They know the impact of their actions. 5 years and 11,000 dollar fine is to light considering it could kill hundreds of people in one shot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Why don't these assholes put the lasers down and just ask for prison butt sex.  I'm sure something could be arranged without causing aviation disasters.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Roomie used to joke about shining a laser at the A10's from the local Naval Reserve station that used to fly over out house every fucking Saturday morning at 7am.

I used to dissuade him, and controlled all the laser points that our house would accumulate.

As a .mil and commercial pilot, I would knock you friend the F out if I heard him say that.

I've been lazed twice and not only can it cause permanent damage, it severely impacts the safety of flight.

Your roomie is a shithead.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
the video at the link:

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Stupid and dangerous stuff right there.

Is there any way to limit the power or range of laser devices?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know how true the story is, but friend of my father told be a story about a cop joking around with a radar gun and pointing it at a EA-6 prowler coming into Whidby post GW-1.

Supposedly is started dumping chaff and diving for the deck!

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these the same lasers you buy to play with your cat or are we talking about something more powerful???
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know how true the story is, but friend of my father told be a story about a cop joking around with a radar gun and pointing it at a EA-6 prowler coming into Whidby post GW-1.

I'm not an EA-6 dude, but 99% sure thats BS. Thats not how most defensive systems work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

is there any way we can limit the power or range guns can shoot? you know for safety reasons.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, we could restrict the mag capacity, barrel length and rate of fire for everyone!!  

ETA   Beat me to it man.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are these the same lasers you buy to play with your cat or are we talking about something more powerful???

Most of them are the ones that you mention. The weaponized ones you don't even see... they just fry your retinas.

Regardless, the "cat lasers" will still blind the shit out of pilots and cause severe distractions from flying the airplane, which is kinda an important job...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's for the children Pilots!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ban him?

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Much more powerful. I don't think typical red laser pointers in general have that kind of power. You're looking more at the powerful green ones, like those used for "star gazing"
Stuff like this:
http://www.wickedlasers.com/
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not an EA-6 dude, but 99% sure thats BS. Thats not how most defensive systems work.

Not to mention the radar associated with a radar gun is nowhere near the same freq as any type of radar associated with any known targeting system.  Emissions from a radar gun would be dismissed/ignored by an aircraft's radar.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sooo...was teh cop disciplined?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Was at Myrtle Beach last fall and walking on the beach at night every 13 year old hilljack in every hotel thought it would be cool to shine those damn green lasers up and down the beach all evening.

At least Hilton Head cracks down on that shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
On occasion we will get hit by a laser while flying. The locations get marked on the gps and ATC is contacted. Usually the first time nothing happens, but if it occurs a second time or the exposure is prolonged the local PD get a call with coordinates.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Laser gun control?  Seriously?  On this site?. How about just shooting people who try to crash planes with them and leaving the rest of us alone?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#24]
During the last couple of years very inexpensive laser light shows have become available for DjJ's. I haven't seen this mentioned, but a DJ doing an outside party could be "painting the sky" at the same time they are innocently doing a party for a 16 year old.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's 2T2 when you don't need him???

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#26]
... dissapoint

Kept expecting a Hellfire launch!

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
... dissapoint

Kept expecting a Hellfire launch!

There goes the neighborhood.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
should've ran that dipshit over
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is that the radar gun pulsated some radio waves that might've gotten picked up as Radar trying to get missile lock.  The chaff would've been instinctive countermeasures deployed by the pilot.  I don't know if the story is accurate though.

-SleeperShooter

Same story has been passed around here, except it allegedly occurred locally.  I would guess that it is more of an urban legend than fact.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laser gun control?  Seriously?  On this site?. How about just shooting people who try to crash planes with them and leaving the rest of us alone?

That would be an effective option that I would support if it had a snowball's chance in Hell of ever being legal.

Here's what's going to happen one of these days. Some asshole is going to shine a laser at a passenger aircraft on approach and being manually landed for some reason. The pilot and copilot both temporarily blinded and the plane goes down with the loss of all people on board.
Then laws will be passed banning the sale, importation, possession, and use of a laser device without special licensing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Much more powerful. These green bastards are quite bright the little red ones you play with the cat are eye safe in a few meters.

I saw a green one shining in the sky near me once. It was a mile away and we were both at ground level. I live in the approach to CMH and I call the law. I never heard if they caught the idiot.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Lasers are very fun to play with! But like a firearm they need proper respect, and care in handling. I have zero sympathy for these brain dead losers who think it funny to shine lasers at moving vehicles including aircraft!

My next gripe would be the dumb azz mentally challenged A-holes that bring them to theaters, and flash the movie screen. Wholly hell that gets my blood pumping!

A good portion of this country lacks common fooking sense.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess is that the radar gun pulsated some radio waves that might've gotten picked up as Radar trying to get missile lock.  The chaff would've been instinctive countermeasures deployed by the pilot.  I don't know if the story is accurate though.

-SleeperShooter

Same story has been passed around here, except it allegedly occurred locally.  I would guess that it is more of an urban legend than fact.
Pretty much what I was thinking/ Expecting.  The guy I heard it was full of tall tales, but when I heard it as a children, it sounded bad ass!

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Was at Myrtle Beach last fall and walking on the beach at night every 13 year old hilljack in every hotel thought it would be cool to shine those damn green lasers up and down the beach all evening.

OT:

State: OH

Does anyone but families from Ohio come to SC for vacation? I used to work at a golf course on HH in high school, and sometimes guests would ask if I could guess where they were from. I'd say Ohio, and be right 80% of the time.

Enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Buddy of mine "was" a Captain for Midwest Express, going into LaGuardia.    Caught a green laser in the eyes, and I don't know if he ever did get back to flight status.   I know he was off work for more than a year with some pretty serious eye damage.

This was 3 or 4 years ago.....maybe 5 at the most.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OT:

Does anyone but families from Ohio come to SC for vacation? I used to work at a golf course on HH in high school, and sometimes guests would ask if I could guess where they were from. I'd say Ohio, and be right 80% of the time.

Enjoy your stay.

heh.  half the cars in Ohio have the HHI oval bumper sticker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
What's a "lazer?"
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, but training does.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cool. Assholkes like that can kill people.

Really, you think a toy lazer shining at an airplane could kill someone?

I'm going to go ahead and call more TOO MANY LAWS bullshit on this one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention the radar associated with a radar gun is nowhere near the same freq as any type of radar associated with any known targeting system.  Emissions from a radar gun would be dismissed/ignored by an aircraft's radar.

So if say the radar gun emmited at 26.5 GHz, and the Planes threat detector only picked up 40 GHz, it'd be too far apart?

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#41]

While taxiing by an Airline's "regional" repair hangar,
one of their fucking mechanics was tagging me
with a red laser pointer.

After I parked our jet, I beat feet to the asshole
and had a lovely and heated exchange.

I do believe he was shit-canned...

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OT:

Enjoy your stay.

West Virginia.  Im the summer 220 in NC is loaded with OH and WV plates heading south.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Had some idiot do that here with a green laser last Halloween.

Dumbass was lasing aircraft on final to the airport.  Did it long enough for the police helicopter to arrive whereupon he started targetting THEM.

They vectored in  ground units on the idiot.  

I got to inspect the laser, about 8 inches long and about 1" in diameter, he bought it off Ebay. The commercial pilots sad the reflected light turned the whole cabin green and blanked the windows.  Whe we tried it out, the reflected light off a gray concrete wall across the parking lot was too bright to keep your eyes on.

I beleive the Feds came and collected the moron.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lasers are very fun to play with! But like a firearm they need proper respect, and care in handling. I have zero sympathy for these brain dead losers who think it funny to shine lasers at moving vehicles including aircraft!

My next gripe would be the dumb azz mentally challenged A-holes that bring them to theaters, and flash the movie screen. Wholly hell that gets my blood pumping!

A good portion of this country lacks common fooking sense.

Yup.  I tend to break out the Surefire once I see who is doing it.  Then I'll let the Manager know.  More than once, the person got booted and I got free movie tickets for my trouble.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Had some idiot do that here with a green laser last Halloween.

Dumbass was lasing aircraft on final to the airport.  Did it long enough for the police helicopter to arrive whereupon he started targetting THEM.

They vectored in  ground units on the idiot.  

I got to inspect the laser, about 8 inches long and about 1" in diameter, he bought it off Ebay. The commercial pilots sad the reflected light turned the whole cabin green and blanked the windows.  Whe we tried it out, the reflected light off a gray concrete wall across the parking lot was too bright to keep your eyes on.

I beleive the Feds came and collected the moron.

What kinda laser was it??  Need make & model.

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You're going to be surprised when you learn the they are already regulated, and by the FDA no less.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually posted that story here once, but it was about a British Typhoon and I had reference to a published newspaper account, but another arfcommer  posted the snopes link disproving it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#48]

There are several laser pointer hobby web sites that tell you how to build an ultra powerfull >2 Watt pointer. They salvage the laser diodes from high end video projectors. After that all you need is a metal case to put it in and a battery. The ones you encounter in the field are less than 1/2 a Watt. Most much less. They can't hurt anything despite all the fear mongering you hear from pilots. A 2+ Watt blue or purple laser OTOH can hurt your eyes from a few hundred feet away. It can also set fires and cut through thin objects. Not Star Trek yet, but NOT a toy either.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Now that's just first-level darwinism at work there...

"Oh hey guys, let's shine a laser at an attack aircraft with a 30mm cannon and lots of bombs, and hope we don't get a pilot in a bad mood!"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top