Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 3:32:33 AM EDT
Did anyone expect a different outcome?

[url]http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/news/archive/local_5310069.shtml[/url]

WAUSAU — A state appeals court Tuesday upheld a state law that makes it a crime to carry a concealed weapon for everybody but police officers.

A Green Bay man had argued the law was unconstitutional because voters in 1998 had amended the state constitution to say people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

The 3rd District Court of Appeals said nothing in the amendment grants the right to carry concealed weapons.

The state law making it a crime to carry concealed weapons does not “impinge” on the right to keep and bear arms, Judge Michael Hoover said. “It simply limits the manner in which they are carried.”

View Quote

I wonder if this means I can start open carrying a .45 on the bus in downtown milwaukee. It's not concealed, so I must have the right to bear it that way, right? If not, then what does the state constitution mean? You have the right (we'll permit you) to bear arms (but only in your home).
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
it gets better:

According to court records, Harold Grimes III was involved in a one-car rollover in Green Bay on Aug. 25, 2000.

Police found an uncased, loaded [red]pellet gun[/red] in the passenger compartment of Grimes’ pickup and charged him with carrying a concealed weapon, court records said.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
There are two cases that will go before the state supreme court later this year that will have a bigger impact on this.

But Texas just keeps looking better and better...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, a loaded pellet gun is a concealed weapon? it seems to me that would only happen in sunny Kalif. You folks in WI must be the PRK equivalent in the mid-West.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
This was the Appelate Court not the Supreme Court.  The Cole/Hamden case decisions will actually be the deciding factor.  Grimes can appeal to the SC and probably will if the Cole/Hamden decision rejects the ban.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=137206[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top