Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 10:50:33 PM EDT

We live in a small town, about 1200 population, usually a friendly place. With the kids out of school for summer, they need a place to run. I live about one block from a path that takes you to the city lake, an area that is fenced off and virtually unused.

My son,age 12,went to the city manager and asked him for permission to ride his 4-wheeler back there, and it was granted. He is a good kid, polite and friendly, and even did chores for the city workers when they were there.

The only problem, a small one was that he has to ride his 4-wheeler about a block on a city street to get back there. The county sheriff had no problem with it,and we have no city cops to offend.

Well, today i get a visit from the Texas Department of Public Safety, demanding that he stop the rideing on the area. When we explained he had permission, she, the trooper, said he would get a ticket for riding on a public street if he did it again, She said there were complaints, and she would stop it at all cost.

The complaint came from a person on the other side of town, who just saw him once. My guess is they had nothing better to do, than worry about a kid having fun.

This takes out a part of his summer fun, where he was hurting no one. It seemes that most people who see a kid just want to complain, too much noise, what are they into, they are looking for trouble. Just wish I could kick the grumpy old geezers ass and tell the trooper to get stuffed... Just a rant... fullclip

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"Riding on a public street"?  Did I miss something?  
View Quote

In our town, most public streets have basketball goals hanging out into them, and about ten cars a day use them, the street that is.  As I stated, the sheriff had no problem with it... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]

I just wamt him to have nearly as much fun as I did when I was a kid. There are some things I did I would never want him to try. I was one crazy kid, but I made it through alive... fullclip

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She said there were complaints, and she would stop it at all cost.
View Quote

Wow, that's kinda scary, what does at all costs mean?

Welcome to the fatherland uuuhhhh ah I mean homeland!

No fun allowed, STOP HAVING FUN!!

I have 2 friends that are LEOs and they complain about having to enforce dumb rules that make good people criminals.  They also complain about colleagues that are "by the book" people.  Because everything is "by the book", and it does not matter about the people or their lives, it is all about the laws and enforcing them.

Even some LEOs complain about this sort of Nazi enforcement!!

I guess she had nothing better to do that day!

Hope you all have a great summer any way, and don't let the bastards grind ya down!!

[bounce]  [50]

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wamt him to have nearly as much fun as I did when I was a kid. There are some things I did I would never want him to try. I was one crazy kid, but I made it through alive... fullclip

View Quote

Full clip I think you and I are probably about the same age. There is NO WAY your kids or mine will have the same childhood we had. Sad as it is.
View Quote

i turned 48 last month, and my kid is my first thought. He is the one and only, so we do as much as we can.

The thing that saves us, is that we have a farm about 30 minutes away, with about four hundred acres to 4-wheel, shoot, hunt and work in. If it was not for the travel time my wife would have to work, we would live there... fullclip

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
"I am a woman in a man's job, I half to by 2x the bitch to be good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only problem, a small one was that he has to ride his 4-wheeler about a block on a city street to get back there. The county sheriff had no problem with it,and we have no city cops to offend.
View Quote

Here is a novel idea. Push or idle while walking the 4 wheeler the 1 block. Problem solved & the summer is saved.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Just curious, but does the Dept. of Public Safety have that kind of jurisdiction?  The complaint probably had nothing to do with "public safety" anyway.

If nothing else, put it in neutral and push it.  It's only one block, right?

Truly a sad time.  This person is so bothered by a kid riding one block, yet they can't take repsonsibility themself to work it out.  They could have at least come to you first with their "worries".
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just curious, but does the Dept. of Public Safety have that kind of jurisdiction?  The complaint probably had nothing to do with "public safety" anyway.
View Quote

Texas DPS is the state police agency; they have jurisdiction everywhere, for everything, although they can't enforce local ordinances.

There is a problem in the suburbs with kids riding dirt bikes, ATVs and other vehicles that are not "street-legal" on the streets. It may not seem like much of a problem, but these kids do not know traffic laws, and don't obey them, getting theselves into accidents (and and car vs. ATV accident comes out poorly for the ATV and its rider).

Have your kid puch his ATV to the area where he is riding, to avoid any entaglements with DPS. I also would not let him ride wthout someone, even another kid, else there to watch him. It is quite possible to wreck and get badly injured enough to where you can't go for help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I [u]know[/u] your town, [b]fullclip[/b], and I can't imagine that a DPS officer would take the time to address such a silly little problem as that!

If I lived there, I'd be riding four-wheelers all over the place!

Eric The(JustAKidAtHeart)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Texas DPS is the state police agency; they have jurisdiction everywhere, for everything, although they can't enforce local ordinances.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification!

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Get permission from the city (in writing) that says he can ride his 4-wheeler down the street to the riding area. Get permission (in writing) from the city that says he can ride in the area.

Sit back and relax. If he DOES get a ticket for riding, you are covered.

Good luck getting anything in writing unless you know people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Gee, I thought Texas was a free and friendly place.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#18]
if i am not mistaken, then if you outfit it with turn signals, tale light, and a register it as a motor vehical, then it can leaglly be on the road.  i am no law expert, and this is just a rumor to me, but it might be worth looking into.  and heck, if he has to be 16 to drive, either get him a hardship liscence, or drive him down there and walk back. its  good exercise.  plus then you can go by that fags house everyday to rub it in. hehehehe
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

like in all things, you cant make everyone happy....thats why they invented guns! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Here is a novel idea. Push or idle while walking the 4 wheeler the 1 block. Problem solved & the summer is saved.
View Quote

The officerette made it clear that if she caught the kids there without some evidence the 4-wheeler was not on the road, as in truck or trailer to haul it, the ticket book comes out. One for him and one for me.... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I [u]know[/u] your town, [b]fullclip[/b], and I can't imagine that a DPS officer would take the time to address such a silly little problem as that!

If I lived there, I'd be riding four-wheelers all over the place!

Eric The(JustAKidAtHeart)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Tha sad part is that she doesn't even live here. She lives about 20 miles away. Looks like she could find enough speeders or drunks to keep her busy, but nooooo... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

like in all things, you cant make everyone happy....thats why they invented guns! [:D]
View Quote

funny thing, the kids can carry pellet guns around, the local sheriff sees me unloading my ar-15 from the truck he wants to talk guns,go-carts run wild in the streets (tropper says this is legal),neighbors keep horses on vacant lots, but they can't ride 4-wheelers one block. I may crack and run amock.... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]
How the hell is driving/riding a go-cart legal and an ATV is not? Makes no sense.

Anyway, screw her. She sounds like she just needs a good spanking.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Have your son and ALL his buddies go to Geezes house and hang out every day. Ask him to tell old war stories or just pick at him with questions! Let him get a belly full of up close and personal and I doubt if he will complain of them going somewhere else to hang out no matter how they get there!!![:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL put some turn signals on it, a brake light and get a liscence plate for it. :D
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Have your son and ALL his buddies go to Geezes house and hang out every day. Ask him to tell old war stories or just pick at him with questions! Let him get a belly full of up close and personal and I doubt if he will complain of them going somewhere else to hang out no matter how they get there!!![:D]
View Quote

This really has to be the best idea given out in a long time. I would never have thought about it in a hundred years. The war starts tomorrow. I will keep you all informed. Thanks.... fullclip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top