Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 8:05:43 PM EDT
I bought a used car last year and after owning for about month I realized that it reaked of smoke smell. Obviously the previous owner smoked in it. I was wondering what the best way to get rid of the stench is. I am tired of trying to mask it with air fresheners.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Try fabreeze.

If that doesn't work, check with an auto detailer - they should have something they use to get smells out of cars (although if it's too bad the solution will be to replace all the seats and fabric...)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://www.f4rt.com/graphics/fart3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I once read that if you took a hair dryer to the upholstrey, the heat will nuetralize the smoke smell.  Beats me if it actually works but its worth a try.

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt the hairdryer works. In arizona, the car gets to be 160 degrees and only makes it worse.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Throw a bar of Dial or Irish Spring under the front seat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Something I heard recently, on some radio, home improvement talk show was an, Ozone Generator. To rid houses/rooms of odors.

You have to seal off the area, and of course not enter while during the process, and of course air completely afterwards (shouldn't be a big deal, since it's a car). It was stated that these could be rented at place's like Lowe's or Home Depot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top