Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 4:30:43 PM EDT
A proud new Dad wants to be safe! Although our child is just 4 months old I have already begun to "tidy" up the house. ALL firearms but one (pistol next to bed) are now in the gun safe LOCKED.

Hell I feel naked! My wife and I had become accustomed to having various loaded weapons of all types in every possible corner of the house. Am I being too paranoid or trying to be too good of a good parent?

Times are different today...as you'all know. I mean I want to protect my family, however I want to protect my child at the same time.

When the child is old enough I'll teach him safe firearm handling and cleaning. I just want to keep them out of his hands until I have the opportunity to do so.

Also, with just one loaded unlocked weapon in the house I don't feel completely prepared to protect my family and household.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy yourself a gun safe and ALWAY keep all your weapons safely locked inside (except when they're visiting the range of course).  [;)]

- CD
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
4 months?/ Give him a mobile of different size brass over the basinet....
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the lesson...don't have kids [;)]
View Quote

Lesson learned TOOOOOO!!!!! late!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO the best way for you to deal with your kids regarding guns is to make no bid deal about them.

My son is 9 and to him guns are no big woop.

He knows that he can see them anytime he wants to by asking.  I am always glad to show him how they work etc and to take him shooting.  We are currently building him an AR of his very own that will be finished when he turns 12.

When his cousins come over and get a look into my gun room ( when I am packing for a shoot etc) they are awe struck...

"WOW!!  YOU DAD has lots of guns!!!!!

My sons response??  ......"yep"
thats about it.

Of late he has been more interested in playing with his cap guns.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally some positive feedback! Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a safe. You should have one already to keep Johnny Crackhead from stealing them. When your kid gets older, train, train, train.

Lots of women freak out when I tell them I trained my kids to shoot when they were 2. Whenever I cleaned my guns, I always let them hold them if they wanted to. The idea is to keep guns from being the "forbidden fruit" that they play with when you are not around. Eventually your kid will go to a friend's house where there are unsecured guns. When that happens, your kid will act appropriately and not want to play with the "forbiden fruit".
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ALL firearms but one (pistol next to bed) are now in the gun safe LOCKED.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I tell my young un's to leave the guns alone, or face the "Corporal"!
[spank]
AB
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]

I have a 12 yr old boy who loves guns as much as I do. The only time my guns aren'tlocked up is when they are with me. No leaving them beside the bed during the day. Always supervised.

The guns are no mystery to him, he wants to see or shoot them, we train and shoot. He knows the -possible dangers and the responsible way to use them. He also knows the enjoyment of using them.

I never worry about him and guns, even the neighborhood kids with pellet guns. If they start acting unsafe, HE COMES HOME AND REPORTS. But I  still keep them under lock and key because of the other kids who come to visit. Who knows what training they have had, or lack of.... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just be careful when the little tyke has friends over....No matter how careful/safe your kid might be, you never know about someone elses.

Give the kid two piggy-banks (is it still PC to call them that? or is it insulting to pigs now?) ... have him put half what he gets/finds in one, and half in the other.  Let him do what he wants with the money in one, and when he's old enough, let him use the 2nd one to pay for the ammo for "his" gun. (heck, just label that one his AR fund [:)]

FOTBR

EDITED TO ADD   WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!! POST 100!!!!!!  Took me just over a year to reach 100, Next stop 1000!  (OK, I'm ambitious, but I don't plan on leaving anytime soon)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Code39:

Storm and I have the same approach.  I simply remove the mystery by allowing my children to hold and handle my firearms whenever they want with my supervision.  Of course, they are not allowed to sweep body parts or people and must handle them with the utmost care.  They haven't even felt a trigger yet since I insist that only gets touched when it is about to be discharged.  

My daughter is too young, but I have already taken my son to the range to witness the destruction that a 9mm hp has on a jug of water.  That lesson was something like "This is your head, this is a 9mm, this is a 9mm applied to your head... any questions?"

Simple:

No mystery=no curiousity=no motivation to play with guns=kids are safe.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
In our home, Guns and Kids are welcome. My kids know what they can and can not do with them. They had bbguns when they was 3 and have loved to shoot ever since. My eldest daughter has turned into somewhat of an anti-hunter but still loves to shoot. Personally I dont believe in hiding or securing any guns. Just take the time to teach your children good ol safety. Not any of the knee pads and helmut safety but the know whats behind your target, what happens when a bullet hits something safety. No different than bikes or scateboards in this neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]
you don't need to lock your guns in a safe.

just get a pair of child safety locks.  they will keep your child safe from guns, knives even light sockets and most importantly teach the little tyke the importance of freedom.

try these:
[img]http://www.smith-wesson.com/hc/graphics/classic.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the approach a few members here have described.  I removed the mystery from my son.  I had him "help" me clean them from the time he got beyond the "EverythingGoesInTheMouth" stage.  Proper handling instructions from day 1 to include toy guns.  If my son wants to see or handle anything in the cabinet, he asks, and I ALWAYS honor the request.  He is only 10, but he is fully aware of what will happen when a bullet strikes flesh.  He knows the difference between the real deal and a 1st person shooter PC game.  When his friends come over and they get the pop gun or the suction dart guns out, he reminds them not to point guns, even toy guns, at people.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
First buy a safe or some kind of gun locker.  Second, as he grows up get him use to being around guns.  Whatever you do don't tell him to completely stay away from them, that just make them curious.  Let him know that if he wants to see them you will let him.  Last, show him how dangerous guns can be when misused.  Take him out and shoot some pumpkins /watermelons and tell him to imagine that those destroyed fruits could be his head, his fathers, or someones elses.  Make him cautious about his use and knowledge of firearms, and teach him safe handling of weapons at an early age.  
Also, have fun!

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with taking the mystery out of guns, BUT I still say get a safe. I have 2, one for most of my guns and another quick access safe that hold 1 handgun bolted to the floor next to my bed. I can open it with my eyes closed and have practiced it dozens of times, including in the middle of the night when I need to take the occasional late night wiz. I have another strategically placed in another room where I spend all my time. My kids are too young to have access. When they are 18, they can have their own.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
and get the little bugger some cute little blue hearing protectors...

(Edited to say:)

And start him off with a .22 LR so he wont develop a flinch, flincing is bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First buy a safe or some kind of gun locker.  Bill3508
View Quote

is it too much to as that one READS at least the original post?  In his third sentence he says "[b]ALL firearms[/b] but one (pistol next to bed) [b]are now in the gun safe[/b] LOCKED."

FOTBR

Sorry for the ranting, but it just pisses me off when people post without reading.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay! I have to post this gain [rolleyes]

Quoted:
Quoted:
ALL firearms but one (pistol next to bed) are now in the gun safe LOCKED.
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First buy a safe or some kind of gun locker.  Bill3508
View Quote

is it too much to as that one READS at least the original post?  In his third sentence he says "[b]ALL firearms[/b] but one (pistol next to bed) [b]are now in the gun safe[/b] LOCKED."

FOTBR

Sorry for the ranting, but it just pisses me off when people post without reading.
View Quote

Right on guy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank You!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Well the training has been well covered but everyone forgot that he also meantioned that he didn't feel well prepared by leaving the guns locked up. My remedy would be to carry that unlocked handgun on you at all times, when at home. I do. It's the only place I can leagally carry concealed in Ohio (for now).

A Glock in a kydex holster might look crazy to the neighbors when i'm working on a car out back, but that's their problem.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No mystery=no curiousity=no motivation to play with guns=kids are safe.
-White Horse
View Quote

I would only add one thing to White Horse’ work,
Repeated supervised exposure = no mystery = no curiousity = no motivation to play with guns = kids are safe.  

My 13-year-old son keep his 10/22 locked in his room, sometimes I have to remind him to clean it after shoots. He got to shoot mom’s 9mm for the first time 4 weeks ago; he was a LOT better than I thought he would be with a pistol. It is a nice feeling. ( I think he will be better than me)(not that hard to do) [:D]

SSD
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to be of help Code39.  I'd suggest the next time that you'd have to repeat yourself you maybe use giant red letters [:D]

FOTBR
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I can understand all of you teaching your kids about guns, and that is a GREAT thing.

Your kids may know the do's and don'ts about gun safety, but I want to caution all of you one one item. PEER PRESSURE.

Kids (especially boys) tend to go 'stupid' when other kids are around. You may trust your kid, but DO NOT trust your kid when they are with other kids. It just doesn't work.

You should also caution your kids about showing YOUR guns to their friends.

Wear them or keep 'em all in a safe or quick-draw safe. That is the ONLY way you can be assured of preventing accidents or theft.

I am such a geek sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
can't stress it enough..never HIDE the guns ... the MYSTERY is overpowering sometimes even to the most well behaved kids.. education is the answere.. my kids have been shooting(supervised closely) since the were very young.. my 12 year old daughter keeps here break over .41 in her room in a locked case..the ammo is ALWAYS locked in my gun safe...when her friends ask to see it she explains to them it's not a toy.. and never to be taken out unless her parents are present... the key is in my room ..and i trust her completely.. her friends i have no trust or faith in because most of ther parents are morons..educate your children.. best defense against ANYTHING
john in houston
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never been too paranoid.  Just mildly paranoid.

I used to keep my firearms locked up as well, except for a pistol.  The pistol didn't have one in the chamber because until recently he wasn't strong enough to rack the slide.  As soon as he got close to strong enough it went in the safe as well.

He is familiar with firearms and they are just another power tool to keep his hands off of without me being there.  But if kids can get into something, they eventually will - just like those childproof doorknobs that takes about 2 weeks for toddlers to figure out.

A lot of good advise floating around about familiarization.  Keeping the firearm on you is another good idea that was mentioned.

Still being a little paranoid I boosted the security in my home.  Security screen doors, deadbolts, window locks.  If someone really wanted in they could probably do it, but they'd make a racket, they wouldn't find any guns to steal and if I'm home I'd have plenty of time to hit the combo on the lockbox.  My neighbors houses would be much more inviting for a thief etc.

Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Instead of locking the guns up, lock the kid up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top