Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 2:41:41 PM EDT
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/the_news_local_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1028_1299537,00.html

The Treasure Coast's largest city got some unexpected national publicity Wednesday when CNN anchorman Wolf Blitzer aired a lengthy segment on the now-infamous ear-biting attack that followed a Senior Little League game at Whispering Pines Park.

In an interview with Blitzer via satellite for Wolf Blitzer Reports, Port St. Lucie Police Chief John Skinner deplored the incident, in which a Seminole man's left earlobe was bitten off during a melee at a Senior Little League playoff game between Deerfield Beach and Pinellas Park.

He also vowed the ear biter, who could face an aggravated battery charge punishable by up to three years in prison, will be apprehended.

"We're anxious to get this individual into custody and send the message that civility and sportsmanship is what baseball's all about," Skinner said. "It's not about biting people's ears off."

Skinner's interview with the CNN reporter renowned for covering events such as the Persian Gulf War, the Monica Lewinsky scandal and Operation Enduring Freedom reflected a barrage of national attention that inundated the police department with calls from news organizations across the country.

Blitzer described the ear-biting incident as the "latest outrageous incident" at a youth sports event.

The fracas began when Kyle Scott a member of the Pinellas Park team of 15- and 16-year-olds got "very verbal" about an umpire's call that led to the home run that eliminated his team from the playoffs.

Kyle's father, Tim Scott, was following him when an assailant whom police described as a Hispanic man punched the boy, police spokesman Chuck Johnson said.

A video taken by a spectator at the event and broadcast across the country Wednesday night showed what appeared to be a punch exploding as the crowd milled about, crowding the camera.

Johnson said Tim Scott, who has declined to comment on the incident, tried to pull his son away.

(due to article length-refer to link above for the rest)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey !.....My town made it into a post on AR15.COM....were almost FAMOUS now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know Mike Tyson went to baseball games[;D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
did he sprinkle some "essence" first before the bite?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.tcpalm.com/tcp/the_news_local_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1028_1299537,00.html[/url]

Now Ive "heard" everything!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I made the mistake of being a LL umnpire one summer for extra cash. I cannot count the number of coaches I wanted to just beat the hell out of. I also can't count the number of coaches that needed the hell beat out of them!

Strangely enough, in basketball the jackass factor was a tenth of LL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top